• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070(HET) Tractors What are second lives/uses????

DrillerSurplus

Get the model number of your 13 speed, you can usually find out the torque rating online with the model number of the trans.

Right. The first 2 digits x 100 = torque rating in ft/lbs, so I'd want 16 or bigger. I have that on pallet rack, but haven't made sure it is an overdrive. It sure would be nice if the one in the cabover truck I'm parting out was big enough since it would have all the clutch, flywheel, etc needed. Also, the clutch and shift linkage from a cabover would be set up for "remote" operation rather than the stick dropping right into top of transmission. I think the Detroit in the truck is probably a 671; the torque rating on those is only in the 700-900 range compared with the 1200-1400 range for the 8V92.

Dig

IMG_1693.jpgThis is parked at a side dump manufacturer south of Le Mars, Iowa called SmithCo. I am told by an employee it is going to a mine in Nebraska.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
He gave the tips in the 1070 tips thread. Hit 1st (the only way to get 1st gear) manually, then shift manually at all times under load. If the splitter is working properly (I have driven several over the years with only high range split), you will see the rpm hit yellow, then drop to about 1850 in the high split. Once it hits yellow again, pop 3rd (this is for 2 through 2-5 on the shifter). The object is to keep the rpm above 1850, because the 8V92 falls on its face below that.
Thank you DRTDEVL; Hes right. And a IN-OP splitter makes for a long, frustrating day.
To me, that sounds like the lock up torque converter...

The TM does not mention this splitter?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The POV had yellow plates. Looked like no more than 20 tons of logs on there. Couldn't handle it!

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
About 2 weeks ago, Soni (M920) moved a locomotive from New Mexico to Silverton, Colorado. I rode along and had fun. Through Molas Pass (11000 ft) and Coal Bank Pass it did slow down, but that was 150000 lbs with the locomotive.

I figured all was well because we did not bash into a feed store in downtown Pagosa Springs. Nor did we run into any other folk song malady.

Attachments

paradeduty

Excellent Job Guys! Very effective use of the rig's capabilities. Great to see her doing what she was made to do. I heard that the M747 trailers "would work" with the M1070 HET. As I had been told, I see you pull the HET rear mudflap hangers for clearance? Was there any other modifications required? I have absolutely no realistic use for a trailer half the size of the M747, but as a collector and hobbyist eventually finding one for our HET would be a function of "completing the package" short of the "real-deal" M10000 trailer. And I have no interest in that maintenance nightmare!

Dave

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent Job Guys! Very effective use of the rig's capabilities. Great to see her doing what she was made to do. I heard that the M747 trailers "would work" with the M1070 HET. As I had been told, I see you pull the HET rear mudflap hangers for clearance? Was there any other modifications required? I have absolutely no realistic use for a trailer half the size of the M747, but as a collector and hobbyist eventually finding one for our HET would be a function of "completing the package" short of the "real-deal" M10000 trailer. And I have no interest in that maintenance nightmare!

Dave
No changes are necessary as far as I know. It is still offroad capable as well.

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting videos on YouTube of M1070 hauling logs. Anyone recognize what country it is in?

I'll guess Malaysia or Indonesia going by the terrain - red soil and use - big hardwood trees. Couldn't tell if the POV was RHD or not nor was there a decent shot of the plate but there was a little hint of those languages in the radio chatter.

When I was there (both places), all they were using was CMP/Blitz cabbed Jap diesel rigid trucks...

DrillerSurplus

I'll guess Malaysia or Indonesia going by the terrain - red soil and use - big hardwood trees. Couldn't tell if the POV was RHD or not nor was there a decent shot of the plate but there was a little hint of those languages in the radio chatter.

When I was there (both places), all they were using was CMP/Blitz cabbed Jap diesel rigid trucks...
Indonesia was my guess too.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1070 & M1000, on duty...

How to safely move a load of 90+tons, up- and down-hill (!) on dirt roads, somewhere in the middle of the Uruguayan outback.
Who said these beasts are not powerful enough?:wink:

Here, a few more action pics....

G.

Attachments

glepaco

Awesome HET action! Thanks for sharing and keep the pics coming!!!

Soni
Hi Soni, I`m looking for some parts of the M1070, as the radiator, hood and grille, and some other parts. Do you know someone who is dismantling one or who might sell these parts? I need a lot of some parts because of an accident. I hope you can help me.
Thank you,

Paul

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks