• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 Tech & Tips

HETvet

There is lube in the compressor. It's not engine oil though. If it's excessive then you could be looking at a new air compressor. I don't know what the recommended replacement time line is for the compressor. I can tell you I've never seen one get replaced while in the military.

Shark Bait

the EGR duct is the top one on the air filte box that goes under the cab. It connects to the exhaust on the stack. I miss spoke when I was speaking about oil in the aftercooler. I had a truck with a blown turbo at work I was working on. The 8V92 dosent have an aftercooler system. Though I would like to see the results of one being installed on a het
Ive not torn into an 8V92 but the TM-P shows an after cooler?image.jpgimage.jpg

Dave

HETvet

Ive not torn into an 8V92 but the TM-P shows an after cooler?View attachment 626973View attachment 626974

Dave
that is an aftercooler for the engine coolant I believe. It dosent look like and air to water aftercooler(aka intercooler; cooling the intake air charge. Called an intercooler due to its location; in between the stages of charge. In this case after the turbo but before the supercharger. An after cooler cools the intake air charge after all stages of forced induction).

glepaco

Hello, the M1070 has 4 Deka 6TMF batteries, but because of my charging system that had a problem (the regulator was dysfunctional and gave around the 33volts), I have to replace all 4 expensive and great working batteries. The problem I have now is that they don`t have this size battery, where I`m located in Suriname. So if I replace these 4 batteries with other brands, it won`t fit in the battery box. So I bought two Powermaster 200amp instead of 4 Deka batteries 120amp@ to let it fit in the box. The M1070 has two systems: a 12 volt and a 24 system. Could anyone please advise if it would be a problem to make this swap from 4 batteries to 2 batteries with the two systems of 12v and 24v? What is the best way to connect them without any problem, because I also see some thin black cables?

20160623_094316.jpg20160623_094328.jpg20160630_123827.jpg

Shark Bait

Hello, the M1070 has 4 Deka 6TMF batteries, but because of my charging system that had a problem (the regulator was dysfunctional and gave around the 33volts), I have to replace all 4 expensive and great working batteries. The problem I have now is that they don`t have this size battery, where I`m located in Suriname. So if I replace these 4 batteries with other brands, it won`t fit in the battery box. So I bought two Powermaster 200amp instead of 4 Deka batteries 120amp@ to let it fit in the box. The M1070 has two systems: a 12 volt and a 24 system. Could anyone please advise if it would be a problem to make this swap from 4 batteries to 2 batteries with the two systems of 12v and 24v? What is the best way to connect them without any problem, because I also see some thin black cables?

View attachment 631386View attachment 631385View attachment 631384
Mine has two large truck batteries instead of the four. If I get a chance today I'll try to get down to the garage and pull them out to get a picture. It's been that way for a couple years with no issues and much more affordable.

Dave

glepaco

Mine has two large truck batteries instead of the four. If I get a chance today I'll try to get down to the garage and pull them out to get a picture. It's been that way for a couple years with no issues and much more affordable.

Dave
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your response. Sounds good that it can work with the 2 batteries without any issues. It would be great to see a pictures of how it is connected. Thank you in advance for your cooperation. Have a blessed Sunday.

Paul

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, two batteries will work fine.

When you're looking at the 4 batteries in the HET, the 2 negative terminals on the right side of both of the right 2 batteries are the ground. The 2 positive terminals on the left side of the left 2 batteries are the 24v positive. The remaining 4 posts in the middle across all batteries are all 12v positive. This can be kinda confusing until you get the hang of it, because you can read positive voltage from a negative terminal.

Basically, in any automotive series or series/parallel battery arrangement, there are 3 possible terminals - 24v positive, 12v positive, or ground. If they're set up the following way, once you identify the 24v positive and the ground terminals, everything else is 12v positive.

bat3.jpg

This should be about how the stock HET is setup -

hetbat01.jpg

And this is about what it should look like with only two batteries instead of four -

hetbat02.jpg

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
that is an aftercooler for the engine coolant I believe. It dosent look like and air to water aftercooler(aka intercooler; cooling the intake air charge. Called an intercooler due to its location; in between the stages of charge. In this case after the turbo but before the supercharger. An after cooler cools the intake air charge after all stages of forced induction).
It is an air to water aftercooler. Its the "A" part of 8V92TA. Its under the blower and cools the air charge before it goes into the cylinders. There are intercooled 8V92s, (called 8V92TI) but I think they are mostly marine (water) applications.

glepaco

Yeah, two batteries will work fine.

When you're looking at the 4 batteries in the HET, the 2 negative terminals on the right side of both of the right 2 batteries are the ground. The 2 positive terminals on the left side of the left 2 batteries are the 24v positive. The remaining 4 posts in the middle across all batteries are all 12v positive. This can be kinda confusing until you get the hang of it, because you can read positive voltage from a negative terminal.

Basically, in any automotive series or series/parallel battery arrangement, there are 3 possible terminals - 24v positive, 12v positive, or ground. If they're set up the following way, once you identify the 24v positive and the ground terminals, everything else is 12v positive.

View attachment 631469

This should be about how the stock HET is setup -

View attachment 631473

And this is about what it should look like with only two batteries instead of four -

View attachment 631474

Good evening Castle Bravo...Thank you very much for your detailed information. We will install them tomorrow. Hope it all works well. Thank you once again...

glepaco

Hello Steel soldiers,

I would like to weld on the M1070, but it is stated on a plate of the stowage box that the batteries needs to be disconnected, the DDEC electronic control module, 12/24v altenators and the CTIS controller and power manifold. See TM 9-2320-360-20. I`ve search the manual, but didn`t find anything yet. Does anyone know what and where I should disconnect all these sensitive parts. It would be helping me a lot, because every time I need to weld on the truck, I`m removing the whole part. Very afraid I will burn something. Some pictures would work perfect also. Thank you guys for all your help.
20161205_180031.jpg

Under the steps next to the batteries there should be a small box with a button for the battery disconnect

HETvet

The ctis controller and power manifold, if memory serves, just need to be unplugged as they are mounted with in the cab. The DDEC needs to be physically removed every time though

glepaco

Hello HETvet...is there a procedure in the TM how to do it and how to remove the DDEC? Do you have any picture where you can refer to? Do I need to disconnect the altenator cables from the batteries?

HETvet

I don't rember if there is a procedure in the TM, more do I have pictures. I've been out of the Army sense 2014. I also was an operator, not a maintenance guy. I just have the experience from being a diesel technician in the civilian world and a gear head all my life. Further more, I spent most of my time, not on the road, in the maintenance section. If you disconnect the battery cables from the batteries, you don't have to disconnect the alternator. If you want to be super sure, you can disconnect the alternator as well. All your doing is ensuring that no electrical current goes through the grounding system in to the electrical components. I, personally wouldn't trust the battery cut off switch.

DrillerSurplus

These TM's have so many pages that the only efficient way to find anything is to use Adobe's search function. The Welding procedure is in TM-9-2320-360-34-1 (May 2007) starting on page 2-190. It makes reference to disconnecting 6 items covered in TM-9-2320-360-20-2 including the batteries, DDEC ECM, alternators and CTIS.

When welding on vehicles or machinery, another very important issue is to make sure you have a GOOD ground as close as possible to the weld. If the current doesn't have a good path to get to ground it is much more likely to go all sorts of places you don't want it. Grind the paint off where you are placing your ground clamp, make sure your ground cable has a good connection and that the current doesn't have to go through any bearings between the arc and the ground. As a practical matter, if you are welding on the back of the vehicle and have a good ground you probably can safely weld without disconnecting all those items, but better safe than sorry.

from TM-9-2320-360-34-1 (May 2007) page 2-191

Preparing the HET M1070 or welding. Perform the following steps before welding on the HET M1070:
(1) Disconnect batteries (TM 9--2320--360--20--2). see page 7-184 of May 2007 version

(2) Disconnect DDEC II or DDEC III/lV Electronic Control Module (ECM) (TM 9--2320--360--20--2). start on page 7-80.
The 9--2320--360--20--1 TM has better pictures of DDEC ECM harness plugs. see pages 7-95 to 123

(3) Disconnect 12--volt alternator (TM 9--2320--360--20--2).

(4) Disconnect 24--volt alternator (TM 9--2320--360--20--2).

(5) Disconnect CTIS controller (TM 9--2320--360--20--2). see page 7-44

(6) Disconnect CTI power manifold (TM 9--2320--360--20--2).

glepaco

Thanks a lot for all the information...now I can get started :)
I`ve always used the TM`s from 1994. Now I`ve downloaded the ones from 2007 with much more details and information. I need to weld a new knife on the tractor bunk. Attached some pictures of how we use the M1070
Thank you guys...

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks