• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070 Tech & Tips

HETvet

you know the over the road trucker that have onboard trackers so the main office can track the truck and the main office can message the truck driver? Its kin of like that, but for military use with other features and capabilities.

goodguyzy

Left side headlight didn't work on low when I got the truck and high beam went out also. After reading a thread on converting to HID headlights I went ahead and pulled the old ones to see what kind of connectors the HET has.........I wonder why it wasn't working..................refer to don't assume the military did it right thread.

Attachments

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MTS systems need the satellites and ground stations to make them work? Uncle Sam won't be surplusing the satellites any time soon. So other than to look cool, it has no purpose in civy hands.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the first versions of Applique +, POSNAV, and MTS when I was at Hood in 97-01... It was called FBCB2 and now BLUEFOR Tracker... The first versions of MTS totally sucked.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I has the first 3 MTS systems in the Army. We put them 3 PLS's, and BN SPO had the master control station. Didn't work worth a dam. Good to see they got it going!

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks to be a british M1070F with ? british trailer and ? armour.
Yes, but behind this lies a great injustice... Just like Bantams getting thrown a bone to build 'Jeep' trailers after inventing the 4x4.. By going to Oshkosh for the HET, Scammell then died as pretty much the last British truck manufacturer, who had made the earlier tank transporter. The 'bone' being King Trailers getting the trailer contract.
This trailer is a lighter model than for MBT's.
I'll stand corrected re specifics of chronology, British truck manufacturers and government purchasing policies etc., as I've been out of the loop since '95 and only getting occasional 'feed back' from friends.

goodguyzy

HID install

Got the new 12 volt HID headlight kit from "those military guys". It was pretty simple, just a few problems I ran into:

1) I could not get the wires to fit through the hole in the bucket. This is where number 91 passes through; I drilled it out just a bit bigger to 5/8. I’m not sure if I could of forced it through but didn't want to take a chance breaking the connector. The grommet seems too big but it does fit perfect.
2) I broke a solder joint connecting up with existing "military" connector; maybe I got to aggressive with it but re-soldered it back on.
3) The headlights didn't fit tight like the old ones do, I put some silicone on the tabs and let it dry and that provided a cushion between the small headlight bracket and the bucket.
4) When all hooked up they didn't work, called "those military guys" on Sunday and had to reverse polarity on a connector, just unplugged and turned 180 and plugged back in. Nice they will talk to you on the weekends.

Over all Im pretty happy with the lights. I didn't want to go LED due to the snow that I drive in from time to time. These do produce heat. Now Im going to get behind a pruis and watch them crap their pants.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunzy

Not mine. Found it sitting at a OTR truck repair facility. The A1s aren't available to us commoners yet. Maybe in 10-15 years. I would like one though.

HETvet

The fleet we have were Half dead lined due to hydro lock. The c18 doesn't like to idle for extended periods of time. Thank you for the photos though

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks