• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1070A1 & M1000 Walkaround

HETvet

more pictures

So, as I said I would do.
here you can see the Teflon insert on the 5th wheel plate. no more greasing it. you can also see the chock block storage to the right of the 5th wheel plate. also notice the mud flaps/fenders over the rear tires.
20140624_064718.jpg

this is on the drivers side of the dog house. you can see the push button Allison transmission and push button 2 speed transfer case. also this is the storage area that I had talked about earlier that we use for drinks and snacks. really helps cut down on the spills and messes.
20140624_064628.jpg
this is the rear of the cab. in this configuration, its a sleeper cab. but the top bunk collapses down to form the back rest for the back seat.
20140624_064617.jpg
this shows you the diff cooler.
20140624_064526.jpg
here you have the air tank drainage system. the ball valves is a major improvement over the wires you had to hold open.20140624_065123.jpg
here we have the bottom of the hood on the passenger side. what you see is a view point to see the coolant level in the over flow tank. being eye level, its easy to check during rest holts.
20140624_065043.jpg
the new location of the dip sticks. this is also on the passenger side of the cab. The new location of the test ports for the various fluids is also under the BII box, making life easier for those who need to take samples.
20140624_065031.jpg
this is the drivers side cat walk. you have a cooler for the main winches hydraulic fluid.
20140624_064839.jpg
and here we have the 96th TC motor pool
20140623_064406.jpg20140623_064351.jpg

tim292stro

View attachment 500144
The spare tire davit is in a different spot. Maybe that hose is some kinda EGR related thing?
Hose is to the ejector from the pre-cleaner, they use a Donaldson cyclonic pre-cleaner before the air filter, it is more effective and efficient than earlier types. The flow of the exhaust gas creates an evacuation air flow in the pre-cleaner which never sees the filter, and carries the bigger chunks of dirt/sand right out the tail-pipe :)

Last edited:

HETvet

I don't think so. There was a MILPER message/FRAGO that was published back in 2011 that stated the Bob tail and the trail or were to be a married unit, once coupled they are not to be separated unless required for PMCS or maintenance. I can tell you the steering wheel is smaller and you can dry turn the wheel lock to lock with one finger. Even loaded it's more responsive and crisper. But I can't say for just a bobtail cause I haven't driven one bobtail.

ke5eua

I don't think so. There was a MILPER message/FRAGO that was published back in 2011 that stated the Bob tail and the trail or were to be a married unit, once coupled they are not to be separated unless required for PMCS or maintenance. I can tell you the steering wheel is smaller and you can dry turn the wheel lock to lock with one finger. Even loaded it's more responsive and crisper. But I can't say for just a bobtail cause I haven't driven one bobtail.
Yeah it is a pain in the rear end running bobtail. You don't do it often but when you do you wish you could disable rear steer.

We only did it a handful of times in Iraq. Mainly when another het was hit and the trailer was good we would send out a hett to recover the het, and a het to recover the trailer.

I'm waiting to see the improvements to the trailer. Only thing I wish it had were auto up track guides, I can't tell you how many times we got a trailer missing some.

And possibly better ramps.

HETvet

*shaking head yes* NOOOooo. Lol I can tell you that it's "in the works" and there are some MAJOR improvments. And Oshkosh test grounds is awesome!

Hawssie

I like the exhaust with the vertical muffler, saves space under the cab. I still think the original short hood looks better but thats about it. No way to fit a C18 under it though.

ke5eua

I like the exhaust with the vertical muffler, saves space under the cab. I still think the original short hood looks better but thats about it. No way to fit a C18 under it though.
You couldn't do anything on the engine without pulling he cab.

Extending the nose and exposing the engine more make it better for servicing.

Adding oil on these is a pita. You need a flex funnel that has at least a 2' length or you are going to be spilling oil everywhere.

Hawssie

I agree about the access of the M1070A1s lengthened hood. I have had my M1070 in my possession for about a week and I think its great but it wasn't built with the mechanic in mind! It has almost all the lack of front access of a cab over but with out the easy removal of a in cab engine cover, other then the small pass side access cover. The electrical system access is nice though. But even seemingly simple stuff like removing the rear bottom seat was amazingly difficult. Its like they designed a lot of it like it was never planned on being removed again or they just didn't care.

HETvet

Actually it's easy to work on. I can have the engine pulled in a day.
It's when the armor is added that it makes it almost impossible to work on.

HETvet

Yes. We have had them pop back in to gear while getting from link count and hooked up, had 1 soldier lose both legs above the knee. I've been training soldiers for 6 years. I thought we could share experienves. "As iron sharpens iron" is kinda the goal I was thinking of

ke5eua

We had a hett crew try to drag a Bradley on the m1000 trailer and didn't want to listen to us when we said cross the cables.

Long story short it took my 88 and another to put the Bradley back on the trailer after they put it on its side.

Funny site, luckily we told all the soldiers to stay clear as something bad was going to happen, sure enough drivers side track just kept creeping off the trailer and the winch operator wasn't paying attention until the Bradley was on its side. By the time the Bradley was on its side we had already fired up the 88s and were raising the booms for a lifting operation.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks