• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 camper in the Glamis dunes Thanksgiving 2016

locrwln

I would like to do a trip from as far north down to tip of South America. That's my goal anyway.
That is our dream as well. We've already been to Prudhoe Bay, just have to get to the southern most point.

Hey Michael! Thanks! yes I use it every week. next week I will be out in the mountains working and will stay in it the whole week. Going to meet with another couple Friday and let them see it. Hopefully they will catch the bug also.
Responded to your PM and yes we will be there. Thank you again.

Jack

BuiltMFG

I would like to do a trip from as far north down to tip of South America. That's my goal anyway.
Yeah my plan is to drive to Alaska Summer of 2018. What's your timeline?

LostInTheWorld, been watching your build on your blog.... I have so many questions for ya.

Duckworthe

I'm in a similar boat, basic tools, table-saw and a 110 welder. Just got the truck a month ago and going through the truck now, learning, finding and fixing things before I start on a major build. The learning curve is pretty steep but this site has been invaluable. I'm planning a year and a half to get it done and eventually work out of it and travel. Luckly I have two friends, one does structural steel and the other is a cabinet maker... Now if I just knew a CAT mechanic that needs design/marketing, LOL
Try and find an RV dismantler in your area if possible. I use Stardeck industries in Corona Ca. they are 35,000 sqft of new used and very cheap. pennies on the dollar! I have no affiliation except to buy from them. Reg RV dealers will bankrupt you buying parts.

Duckworthe

Yeah my plan is to drive to Alaska Summer of 2018. What's your timeline?

LostInTheWorld, been watching your build on your blog.... I have so many questions for ya.
I don't have time line yet. Plan on working maybe 2-3 more years and then go. But I reserve the right to punch out of work at any moment. LOL

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great looking rig! I'm planning on using GFRP similar to a TPD brand trailer for my build. Better shear strength in the walls and less steel in the frame.

Pointman in Nevada

Duckworthe

Great looking rig! I'm planning on using GFRP similar to a TPD brand trailer for my build. Better shear strength in the walls and less steel in the frame.

Pointman in Nevada
I talked to a company that manufactures FRP. Thay told me that I shouldn't use it in an RV as it will see very different temp ranges as it will expand and contract up to 1/2 inch. They said in a home that stays stable in its temps it is fine. But they said you may deal with buckling walls. There quote was this "we do not recommend using this product in a RV. It is meant to be used in a building or home that will not very in temps as an RV will". How ever you build it I cant wait to see it finished. If you are in NV we should meet up and camp some time.
Eric

locrwln

Just want to say thank you to Duckworthe again for hosting my wife and I for over three hours while we checked out his truck and allowed us to drive it around. We really appreciated the time and experience.

Here is my wife (5'1") standing in front of his truck. She enjoyed driving it very much.
IMG_1569-M.jpg

Duckworthe

Just want to say thank you to Duckworthe again for hosting my wife and I for over three hours while we checked out his truck and allowed us to drive it around. We really appreciated the time and experience.

Here is my wife (5'1") standing in front of his truck. She enjoyed driving it very much.
View attachment 657812
It was great having you two down to look at the truck. I hope I helped catch the "bug".

locrwln

Looks like she is sold !
Yeah, she really enjoyed it.

It was great having you two down to look at the truck. I hope I helped catch the "bug".
Thank you again, it was a great time. That's all we did on the drive home; we talked and talked and schemed and "built" out a truck many times and kept going over the pro's and con's. Your's definitely moved an FMTV up on the list and now I will be looking a little harder for one.

Jack

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack,

I am down in Gardnerville with a LMTV. I have spent the last year driving it, and going over all the mechanicals to get the bugs out (this, after driving it home from Philadelphia last winter). Feel free to PM me and come down for a spin. I have had it up in some gnarly sierra trails and out on the Blackrock Playa three times this year...

Eric, With your permission, I have a ton of questions for ya. PM's OK, or do we want to share here?

Pointman

locrwln

Jack,

I am down in Gardnerville with a LMTV. I have spent the last year driving it, and going over all the mechanicals to get the bugs out (this, after driving it home from Philadelphia last winter). Feel free to PM me and come down for a spin. I have had it up in some gnarly sierra trails and out on the Blackrock Playa three times this year...

Eric, With your permission, I have a ton of questions for ya. PM's OK, or do we want to share here?

Pointman
I really appreciate it. I would love to pick your brain. We of course will be down in Minden on Christmas day. I will get with you the next time we head down and we can see if our schedules work out.

How has it been on the trails? I'm sure it did well on the playa; we love the Black Rock, been going up there since 1993 and it never gets old.

I am impressed that you were able to drive it home from Philly. That's amazing. Did you have any problems?

I hope Eric will allow you to ask your questions on the forum as I'm sure everyone will learn from the questions/answers.

Jack

Duckworthe

I really appreciate it. I would love to pick your brain. We of course will be down in Minden on Christmas day. I will get with you the next time we head down and we can see if our schedules work out.

How has it been on the trails? I'm sure it did well on the playa; we love the Black Rock, been going up there since 1993 and it never gets old.

I am impressed that you were able to drive it home from Philly. That's amazing. Did you have any problems?

I hope Eric will allow you to ask your questions on the forum as I'm sure everyone will learn from the questions/answers.

Jack
Hey everyone. I'm back from the flu and Christmas travels. I have no problem answering questions that people have. It is however easier for me to text or talk over the phone as I am not always near a computer with connectivity. Its better to text me first and let me know if your calling me. As I get so many B.S. calls from businesses that I may not answer if I don't know the number. Everyone who calls me at least a few times gets added to my phone so your name pops up and I know who it is. Hope everyone has had a great Christmas season so far.
Eric Duckworth
619-952-4337

Duckworthe

12 Foot 2 Inches to the top of the Roof AC. However, the Flag that I have to have on the truck in the dunes is at 17 foot. "that way people can see me" HAHAHAHA silly flag rules. (California, its not all that special. Don't move here.)

Duckworthe

I will post more pics when the site will allow. I click on the Pic icon but the browse window under "From Computer" wont open. Anyway, I'm heading back out to Glamis dunes for New Years. Its always a great time. New Years is the busiest weekend of the year I think. More pics to follow from then also.

Eric

Duckworthe

Finally able to log back onto the site! Thanks Steve for contacting the site for me so they could get it mine working again. We had some down time to go out to the desert in the Yuma area for New Years. Had a great time visiting old friends. Now back to the working world. I have been working on building a fuel tank and roof rack for Steve, one of our members here. I hope to be done with his and get it out to him this month. The tank is really nice. It fits right behind the original tank and holds 52 gal diesel and 17 gal gas for his toys. Been a bit of a chore to build but it will be fantastic! Hope everyone had a great New Years and that everyone makes huge headway on there projects in 2017.
Eric

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM me for my Facebook page info. I love driving this around. New Years day we headed down towards Bodie to check out the recent Earthquake damage. It works well on trails. I did a manual conversion on the CTIS and it works like a charm all the time now.

I bought this from a private party in Philadelphia. I found it on eBay. It had gone through without anyone buying it. I messaged the owner and began the month long process of scheming, convincing the wife, making travel arrangements, etc. The trip was fun! We had only two minor mechanical incidents all due to loose hose clamps on the cooling system. Coldest day was -7 in Wyoming and needed to use starting fluid to get the engine humming.

I have since done a lot of under hood detailing, replacing belts, a daft fan clutch, air dryer replacement and just went back to a 4 battery setup (It was purchased with two starter batteries running the show), 40 sq/ft of cab insulation and built a neat headliner setup. Lots of great guys on this forum and haven't run into anything that couldn't be remedied.

I had the engine oil and trans oil analyzed by Cashman in Reno and all was well there. This truck showed only 1459 miles on it when purchased and subsequent investigation show it came out of Ft. Polk, LA. Most of the problems these truck seem to have is having critical parts are scavenged, and from just plain sitting around.

Pointman

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks