• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1078 conversion to brush fire truck

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Member "Ukraine Train" here carried a 8700 lb lathe in his LMTV (search in LMTV forum). I think the brush truck rollover problems occur when FDs put TWO Beta tank modules in a deuce. I would put the Beta as far forward as you can. Get some U bolts made that go from the bottom of the truck frame all the way to the top of the skid on the Beta.

osagehargraves

My Fire Department also recently acquired a LMTV. I removed the entire bed, which alone shaved 4300 lbs from my weight. I then make the frame wider which allowed me to mount the tank (same one you have) on the frame with a 3/4" rubber between the tank skids and frame. I have mounted the tank as close to the can as possiable leaving a 24" area to make a place for a man to ride and fight fire. I mounted the tanks with bolts and springs on the front bolts

kiwifarms

My Fire Department also recently acquired a LMTV. I removed the entire bed, which alone shaved 4300 lbs from my weight. I then make the frame wider which allowed me to mount the tank (same one you have) on the frame with a 3/4" rubber between the tank skids and frame. I have mounted the tank as close to the can as possiable leaving a 24" area to make a place for a man to ride and fight fire. I mounted the tanks with bolts and springs on the front bolts
i have a 1079 and label says box weighs #8600

osagehargraves

I still find it hard to believe the 1078 bed weights over 4000lbs.
I was trying to make my original post brief, but just to clarify. The entire bed, spare tire and 6" channel that runs the entire length of the frame was all removed.

But hard to believe or not the exact weight of the bed and all the lift supports that was inside the bed and troop seating weighted exactly 4328 lbs. The truck was weight going into the yard and immediately re scaled after the crane pulled the bed off.

I am attempting make the truck as light as possiable and keep the CG as low as I can on my water tanks. After two tanks and 1,000 gallons of water (if my math is correct lol) I should barely be over the GVWR (like a couple hundred pounds)

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope you at least kept the spare!

Do you have a larger picture of your profile pic? looks like you got the tanks on there.

kiwifarms

looks good what i was was saying is that my box weights $8600 so by stripping down his truck he can carry quite a bit plus my box ends up being just short od 12 ft high

Webrep

Well its been 3 days of heavy rains and flooding here in MO. Our fire department has been very busy with flooded road crossings and water rescues. The Stewart has earned a new place in our fleet as a water rescue vehicle. We have waded in with the Steward and safely got the job done...**** of an asset. Here are a couple pics and our temp light bar on top. IMG_6815.jpg

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double check the TMs for "Fording Operations" and "After Fording Operations" to make sure you keep your truck FMC. Thank you all for the hard work! Glad she's treating you well!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks