• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1078 conversion to brush fire truck

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really like this idea. It is a perfect use for this platform. Any departments getting these trucks who would like to sell their cargo cover and bows for some extra build dollars, let me know. I need a set.

earls

How about a follow up from the guys that have completed their builds. We recently got a M1079A1 with just over 1300 miles through DNR here in Washington. We have removed the box and will be using it for storage. We would like to put a 750 gallon tank and a diesel pump weighing approximately 300 lbs. We know 750 gallons will put me over gvw but we have very limited water supply and it could be an hour turn around time some places. The tank will be fully baffled to NFPA spec. and low profile. There will be a flat bed installed with tool boxes as well. We only carry the minimum required to be compliant with the spec for the apparatus type. This would be a type 4 wildland engine.

A few questions:
1. Can the truck safely handle 750 gallons?
2. Should we leave or remove the 6" bed rails from the frame?
3. What would those that have built on this chassis do differently next time?

Thanks
KCFPD 9 1.jpgKCFPD 9 2.jpg

coachgeo

2. Should we leave or remove the 6" bed rails from the frame?...
Rails are actually a subframe for the box. If you want to use them as subframe for whatever you build to hold the tanks then use it for that.... but you might be better to build your own subframe cause the ones that were part of the box (same ones used with the stock beds) are already hardened and if you weld to it you loose the hardening in the area you welded which will make an imbalance of hardened areas and not hardened. Am no expert but with that much weight on the Subframe you're going to have, would think that this imbalance along with offroad stresses will lead to cracks. Wonder also if you should use a subframe setup similar to box that you removed when it comes to how the frontend of box was mounted to chassis with springs to allow the truck's chassis to flex more normally below. This reduces stress on the chassis and on the all the framework that will be holding your tanks when offroad.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember you're adding weight with the bed, pump, tank, diesel to run the pump, tools, hoses, etc, etc. At full load with 5000 lbs you're flattening out the suspension on these trucks. I don't know if adding air bags is feasible to the suspension but would at least give you some extra wiggle room on the weight. Turn around time fetching water is nothing compared to sitting in the middle of no where with a broken axle.

coachgeo

Now that think about it. one of the 6x6 versions.... forget the model number.... but think it was one with 5th wheel plate on it...... had a heavier leaf spring back. On the other 6x6's they had same leaf spring pack as the 4x4.... they were just hung to the chassis differently. The axle of course attached differently to each end.. but pretty sure the springs themself were the same. So with that in mind..... you might can beef up your rear suspension a little by swapping to the heavier spring pack. Maybe even the rear shocks for that model as well. Suprman in here may have these parts. If ya'll have acess to someone who can Fabricate bed, tank holder etc. then that person might be able to fabricate what is needed to do this as well.

Special T

Earls have you contacted the Grant County FD? I don't know if they are using your some trucks or not but I would bet they can get you in contact with a local department that has.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that think about it. one of the 6x6 versions.... forget the model number.... but think it was one with 5th wheel plate on it...... had a heavier leaf spring back.
M1088.

OP, honestly, sounds like you might be pushing the weight limits of the LMTV. If you can get an FMTV instead, one of the dual rear axles, it seems like it might be a better solution. Of course what would REALLY be ideal in your situation is a HEMMT Fuel Truck, clean it out and use it as a water tender. 2500 gallons there.

oregonfirefighter

We are currently building up a m1088A1 as Type 3 Engine/ Type 3 Tender. One has to be VERY careful with weight on both the 2 & 3 axle models, as the front ends are typically very close to Gross Axle Weight even when empty. Our has gone on a major diet by removing all that we can. We even removed the cab height reducing system and front glad hand system. Our 5th wheel plate assembly was another 1300#!!! Due to COG concerns and front weight concerns we are adding some length to the rear end ( bolt on) in order to keep the 1500 gallons low and off of the front end. For our tank we are using a company that will custom build a poly unit. This will be a long build and I think I will start a thread for the progress.

coachgeo

Would it not be more logical to put the tank on a trailer and use the MTV to pull it? Can add a much larger tank that way; then a network of other rigs can refill off the big tank. One could still have comparatively medium size tank (like one your considering now) on a smaller different trailer for different tasks. You're the pro. though... Am sure there is some logical reason a non-Firefighter like myself would not get.

oregonfirefighter

Would it not be more logical to put the tank on a trailer and use the MTV to pull it? Can add a much larger tank that way; then a network of other rigs can refill off the big tank. One could still have comparatively medium size tank (like one your considering now) on a smaller different trailer for different tasks. You're the pro. though... Am sure there is some logical reason a non-Firefighter like myself would not get.
A few reasons. We want the truck to access the fire ground ( and not just be a water truck). Most of our areas are difficult to get a trailer into. We contract with the US Forest Service and they do not allow trailers. Also as a side note, even though we ( the troops on the ground), want as much water as possible, the powers that be ( GOVT) limit how many gallons one can carry on each type of engine. Types are like this Type I & II are pavement queens, Type III &IV are big all terrain with Type V & VI your Pickup chassis. We also calculated for fun what the max amount of water we could put on our chassis ( with the gear required, hoses, foam, fixtures and tools) and the CAD came up with 2157 gallons using a fully baffled poly tank.

snowtrac nome

I under stand I was trying to get a m548 on the fire lines up here. Them morons wouldn't allow it because of the steel track, even though the nodwells and dozers were putting down the same ground pressure. All they wanted were bv 206's I tried to explain after 17 years of preforming maintenance on them things, I could say with authority there wasn't any money to be made off them. Shut them up when I reminded them they could draw them for free if they were so great why didn't they have their own fleet and save 5 grand for a 8 hour shift. The 548 is still sitting waiting for a buyer I cant afford it if there isn't a buck to be made off it

Webrep

We have had this truck in service for a while now and the 500 gallon tank, dual hose reels and pump weight have made this truck a dream to drive. It is slightly slower taking off but everything else has been great. I will upload recent pics soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks