• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 fmtv ctis

Third From Texas

How much diesel? I'd likely drain it if you suspect the vehicle sat with the fuel in it's tank for years. If the previous owner had been driving it, I wouldn't bother. Have you SEEN the price of that stuff????? (thanks a lot, Brandon)

I wouldn't sweat the CTIS just yet. Lots of various solutions if it's toast: (replace w/used, replace with NOS, manual modification, Arduino (which I'm looking to do once I confirm mine is actually dead).

GENX

3/8 of a tank. He told me he bought in 2017 drove a bit in 2019. Just sat there since. Finally gave up the dream of an X Camper. To be safe. I am going to drain and may build a polisher and add PRD-D.

We saw what Brandon did in 2008 as the wingman.......

Last edited:

coachgeo

3/8 of a tank. He told me he bought in 2017 drove a bit in 2019. Just sat there since. Finally gave up the dream of an X Camper.
yeah drain it and put it aside. let it settle in some FULL and capped 5'gal pails or larger. Less air space the better. siphon them into near full tank occasionally making sure to miss the bottom few inches. If you want to be exact.... a hollow tube (rather thin....... but easy fairy clear).... put tube in all way to mm from bottom..... place thumb over top and pull it out slowly...... tube will show what is going on in each depth of the pail.

Third From Texas

Might want to drain and save it, then. Diesel is good for a year w/o any Stable/SeaFoam/biocide treatment. Better than gasoline, but it has a shelf life running it thru a EFI system. Depending on the conditions, you start to run into all sorts of algae, etc.

I'd certainly save it for flaming road blocks, Molotov cocktails, homemade flamethrower, etc. With what's coming, you'll find a use for it...

;)

jtcawrse

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve done a lot of searching and this seems to be the best CTIS thread. I have an M1088 A1. I’ve got 5 solid lights on my ECU. There is no filling or deflating going on. There is no response to button pushing. I’m about ready to follow the TMs and trouble shoot but I’ve never seen any mention of 5 solid lights. Anyone else seen 5 solid lights?

Ronmar

I’ve done a lot of searching and this seems to be the best CTIS thread. I have an M1088 A1. I’ve got 5 solid lights on my ECU. There is no filling or deflating going on. There is no response to button pushing. I’m about ready to follow the TMs and trouble shoot but I’ve never seen any mention of 5 solid lights. Anyone else seen 5 solid lights?
Sadly you have nothing to troubleshoot. 5 solid lights is an internal fault in the controller. Nothing left for it but to use it as a coaster or a coffee table conversation starter… either replace it with OEM, Plasa’s arduino based unit or go manual like I did(mine was 5 solids when I got my truck)…

jtcawrse

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sadly you have nothing to troubleshoot. 5 solid lights is an internal fault in the controller. Nothing left for it but to use it as a coaster or a coffee table conversation starter… either replace it with OEM, Plasa’s arduino based unit or go manual like I did(mine was 5 solids when I got my truck)…
I can use it as door stop. Thank you for the bad news. Saved me a ton of time.

GENX

My controller went 5-solid awhile back. I just installed my new Arduino controller from Plasa. Very plug-and--play. And it's quite simple to change the preset psi for each mode. I plan to do a proper review thread.
Glad you let us know… was curious on A1’s.

Third From Texas

Glad you let us know… was curious on A1’s.
Yeah, the A0 was confirmed and in theory the Arduino would work in all variants of the FMTV. I was able to test and confirm that it worked with the A1R so it's 100% confirmed compatible with all now. The test went so well I decided to purchase the device. I might have saved a few bucks going manual, but by the time you purchase all the hardware, fittings, gauges, regulator, build a housing, etc it certainly not much cheaper. Plasa's Arduino controller just checked all the boxes for me.

Not shilling for Plasa here, but his work is pretty impressive. The project box is aluminum not plastic, the custom circuit boards are sharp looking, the solder work is professional, the wiring is first rate, it's just a very clean looking and functional product. You just have to come up with your own mounting solution (a $5 pair of L-brackets from Lowes got me running for the time being, but eventfully it will be built into the dash with the stereo, etc). No more than the unit weighs, it could be attached with HD Velcro. Standing the unit off the dash a bit on brackets allows the face to tilt and can be seen at a glance from the driver position.

Being able to change the psi for each mode was the biggie for me. I wanted HWY at 75psi but all the others at stock (for now). The only difference I can find between the Arduino and the OEM controllers is that the Arduino has no speed limitations. The OEM would fuss at me all the way down the beach if I went 1mph over the limit for SND and that was quite annoying. The Arduino lacks that safety feature (annoyance) but as long as you pay attention and don't jump on the highway in SND mode, etc you're fine. IMO, it's a far better device than OEM. It's updateable, repairable, customizable, plug--and-play, easy to operate, and it costs less than some people get selling used OEM take outs.

Last edited:

Plasa

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you sir!
Christian

Yeah, the A0 was confirmed and in theory the Arduino would work in all variants of the FMTV. I was able to test and confirm that it worked with the A1R so it's 100% confirmed compatible with all now. The test went so well I decided to purchase the device. I might have saved a few bucks going manual, but by the time you purchase all the hardware, fittings, gauges, regulator, build a housing, etc it certainly not much cheaper. Plasa's Arduino controller just checked all the boxes for me.

Not shilling for Plasa here, but his work is pretty impressive. The project box is aluminum not plastic, the custom circuit boards are sharp looking, the solder work is professional, the wiring is first rate, it's just a very clean looking and functional product. You just have to come up with your own mounting solution (a $5 pair of l-brackets from Lowes got me running for the time being, but eventfully it will be built into the dash with the stereo, etc). No more than the unit weighs, it could be attached with HD Velcro. Standing the unit off the dash a bit on brackets allows the face to tilt and can be seen at a glance from the driver position.

Being able to change the psi for each mode was the biggie for me. I wanted HWY at 75psi but all the others at stock (for now). The only difference I can find between the Arduino and the OEM controllers is that the Arduino has no speed limitations. The OEM would fuss at me all the way down the beach if I went 1mph over the limit for SND and that was quite annoying. The Arduino lacks that safety feature (annoyance) but as long as you pay attention and don't jump on the highway in SND mode, etc you're fine. IMO, it's a far better device than OEM. It's updateable, repairable, customizable, plug--and-play, easy to operate, and it costs less than some people get selling used OEM take outs.

coachgeo

Plasa can you shoot me a PM? The forum isn't allowing me to send you one for some reason.
to avoid scammers going nuts the second after they find their way onto the a discussion board .... often sites have minimal number of post required before a new member can do certain actions... such as post pictures..... and PMing people

you will likely have Pm privileges soon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks