• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 GVWR Over the Road

Stevekelley

That’s definitely possible. I’m sure they don’t all weigh the same depending on what options they have. I was curious how close that number really is. 400 lbs with you in it doesn’t seem all that close but then again just the winch accessories probably weigh at least a couple hundred if not more. Maybe that 17,214 number is the LTZ version ha.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
olive-drab.com lists it as "16,699 lb". Where did you get the 17k number? Also I should have said, I am talking about the A0. I don't know about the later models.
It's in the TM. Table 1-3, Vehicle Weights and Payloads.

Truck, Cargo, M1078
17,770 lbs (8,068 kgs)

OliveDrab.com seems to be edited by people who go by the philosophy "Close enough for government work." I've stopped going to that site, because there is so much incorrect information... and wrong information is worse than no information at all.

Kbarnes0

Easy way to see what the true weight is, make a run to the dump. With a full tank, and co-pilot we came in at 24,500lbs with the M1090 empty.

Hauled 9tons (est.) of logs the other day. Probably the heaviest load it will see during the time I have it.
60 psi tires, truck felt great loaded.

Attachments

snowtrac nome

gvwr is determined by a few factors 1 axle and tire group springs braking capability and acceleration. there are others but these are the main factors.

Zach_M1078A1

I think you would find that law enforcement (and lawyers) would only be concerned about the GVWR stamped on the truck. I would not want to be in a position to have to argue that the truck is safe to drive at a weight greater than what is stamped on the truck. So if your concern is about what is legal I would stick with what is stamped on the truck.
I don’t know 100% but I did talk to a California Highway patrol and a Utah highway patrol officer separately asking this question. I was told that it doesn’t matter what it says on your truck it’s what it says on your registration and in Utah the GVWR of your truck is not dictated by the actual truck, but what you are willing to pay for for instance, my am 1078 A1 is registered at 26,000 GVWR and I was told that’s all that matters as far as Highway patrol or DOT. That’s just for legal purposes obviously not what is safe for your truck to hold. This seems a little weird to me. I would think what it says on the truck is more important and matters more for driver safety but I am pretty sure this is the case based on what I was told. Another caveat I don’t necessarily remember this part of it but I think it also matters that no single axle has over 13,000 pounds but I don’t really remember that part for sure

ODAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my experience, what the officers told you is correct. That is, you tell the DMV the weight to register for the maximum gross weight. Then they charge you fees accordingly and issue the registration.

I believe that their thinking is that, because of the extremely large number of configurations across all models, the DMV relies on the owner's knowledge and representation of the required registered weight. On a DOT inspection, the officers will check the registered weight against the scale weight. If you're overweight (either by total against the registration or by axle regardless of the registration), you can expect a citation.

A registered weight over 26000 pounds or if the vehicle has air brakes requires a CDL. That's why you see rental van trucks like Penske or UHaul have a maximum weight of 26000 painted on the doors.

If you're involved in a crash, all bets are off. As a previous post indicated, crash investigators may scale the truck. If structural weights (tires, door label, etc) are exceeded regardless of the registered weight you may be subject to a criminal citation as well as be civilly liable.

Lastly, if you're on antique tags, have private tags, or insured as an antique or as a private vehicle, generally speaking, you may not engage in commercial operations such as hauling, towing, and so forth for someone else or for your own business. If you do, you may be cited, and in the case of the insurance company, you may not covered.

Hope that helps.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know 100% but I did talk to a California Highway patrol and a Utah highway patrol officer separately asking this question. I was told that it doesn’t matter what it says on your truck it’s what it says on your registration and in Utah the GVWR of your truck is not dictated by the actual truck, but what you are willing to pay for for instance, my am 1078 A1 is registered at 26,000 GVWR and I was told that’s all that matters as far as Highway patrol or DOT. That’s just for legal purposes obviously not what is safe for your truck to hold. This seems a little weird to me. I would think what it says on the truck is more important and matters more for driver safety but I am pretty sure this is the case based on what I was told. Another caveat I don’t necessarily remember this part of it but I think it also matters that no single axle has over 13,000 pounds but I don’t really remember that part for sure
LOL safety has never been part of the equation its all about the money the state can swindle out of the truck owner ! Long after IFTA was put in place we had to call in advance to the state of oregon and buy a fuel use permit and road use permit and you had to have them fax u the permit to an out of state only fax line and no one in the state was allowed to sell you diesel fuel without that permit number and the oregon puc would try to talk you into claiming more weight you were declareing as your gross cause thats what you were paying for im in a 45.000 lb bus and they are hell bent to sale me a 60,000 lb permit cause some busses pulled trailers ! Let me check NOPE i can plainly see no trailer (WELL IF WE CATCH YOU IN THE STATE 1 POUND OVER WERE GONA DO THIS AND THAT ) Each state has its own definition on the gross what ever make them the most money but the average rule was 12k on the steer 34k on drives(2 xle and 34 on trailer or 20 k on any single independent axle other than steer axle then in some states you could run 18k on steer with wide flotation steer tires and some states would go by what the stated weight printed on each tire so each state should be contacted in advance if you dont want any surprises ! So play dumb as possible yes sir no sir to everything and dont volunteer anything not asked of you ! Dont talk yourself into some kind of bogus citation the only thing you want to leave that sceen with is the D.O.T. s pity thinking he just met the dumbest human being of his carer !

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just slap some FARM USE tags on in and call it a day. That's what I did after finding out how much the DMV wanted annually to register my dump truck @ 26,000 lbs. I'm not using it commercially so that might not work if you are. I haven't been pulled over, but I have hauled gravel with those tags and had cops pass me.

I'm in rural Virginia, so that could be a factor as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks