• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 LMTV Picked Up

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few photos of my M1078 LMTV that I just picked up. I was not able to get in started at the base because the fuel lines were clogged. I was able to get the lines clear and she fired right up. She runs great! I took her out to the mines today to run up a few hills.

I also uploaded a few videos on YouTube; search M1078 LMTV

Attachments

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for adding the videos for me wsucougarx!

The M1078 TM doesn't go into any detail about the transmission modes. The front drives were not locking in so I had to take it easy on the mounds out there. I will play with the ECU for the Allison transmission tomorrow and in hopes of figuring it out.

mudguppy

select 'Mode' on the transmission selector panel - this locks the front output in.

and IIRC, the front output is supposedly always powered, but only receives 30% of the power output. 'Mode' gives the full 50/50 split F&R. i'm not sure how or why, but i'd speculate there is a viscous coupler on the front output and 'Mode' locks it in in solid via mechanical means.

again, all off of memory, so....

Last edited:

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
select 'Mode' on the transmission selector panel - this locks the front output in.

and IIRC, the front output is supposedly always powered, but only receives 30% of the power output. 'Mode' gives the full 50/50 split F&R. i'm not sure how or why, but i'd speculate there is a viscous coupler on the front output and 'Mode' locks it in in solid via mechanical means.

again, all off of memory, so....
Thanks mudguppy!! I will play with the Mode Selector today and see if I can get some more power to the front wheels.

hcso2332

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no idea why but the ID Plate was removed from the LMTV. At this point I have no idea what the ID number for the truck is. The warranty plate is still there; it shows the manufacture date of 08/96.

I am going to call Stewart & Stevenson tomorrow and inquire if they stamped the ID number on the frame somewhere.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very nice. Why was it sold? Seems like a newer truck would still be useful.
A few reasons for Uncle Sam selling his toys:

1. It needed more TLC than the mechanics were willing to invest (in this case CLOGGED FUEL LINES were already mentioned)

2. It's the GOOBERMINT - and you want it to make sense WHY???? LOL

3. Because Uncle Sam and GL want to tease the rest of us and keep us shopping their auctions.

4. Because YOUR tax dollars bought it - They don't feel the "pain" of liquidating hardward for "cents on the dollar".

Hope that helps.

hwcurtice

I have no idea why but the ID Plate was removed from the LMTV. At this point I have no idea what the ID number for the truck is. The warranty plate is still there; it shows the manufacture date of 08/96.

I am going to call Stewart & Stevenson tomorrow and inquire if they stamped the ID number on the frame somewhere.
Let us know how you get it licensed. And how much harassment the LEO gives you for driving out of uniform...

Nice looking rig.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks