• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078/M1079 for overland camper?

Hi Michael. I noticed in the blog you guys have used the soda blaster to restore a ton of stuff. In addition to the NATO power connector it seems you guys have done air lines, hoses, etc.

Do you mind sharing the details of your recipe? What media specs? What pressure? Special nozzle? Any other important factors?

Thank you.
There is nothing really special about our soda blaster setup. We got it about 5 years ago when we were restoring a WWII GPW (jeep). It's just a stock soda blaster from Harbor Freight. The media we use is standard Arm and Hammer coarse soda, also available from Harbor Freight. We run at about 90 psi. It's a little finicky (being as cheap as it is), but it really does a great job cleaning up delicate hardware. You should see what it will do to an old carburetor body! It doesn't really have enough oomph to remove large quantities of CARC, paint, or rust, but it cleans up rubber, glass, castings, electrical connectors... It makes a really dusty mess outside, but it's great for some things.

Cheers,
Michael

csoledade

There is nothing really special about our soda blaster setup. We got it about 5 years ago when we were restoring a WWII GPW (jeep). It's just a stock soda blaster from Harbor Freight. The media we use is standard Arm and Hammer coarse soda, also available from Harbor Freight. We run at about 90 psi. It's a little finicky (being as cheap as it is), but it really does a great job cleaning up delicate hardware. You should see what it will do to an old carburetor body! It doesn't really have enough oomph to remove large quantities of CARC, paint, or rust, but it cleans up rubber, glass, castings, electrical connectors... It makes a really dusty mess outside, but it's great for some things.

Cheers,
Michael
Thank you!

We are making steady progress on our truck. We got the back portion of the frame painted (we made a nice painting enclosure), and we got several of the wheels assembled. It's all turning out quite nice.

I'm really pleased with how the silver power coated wheel rims look with the XZLs and the schrader valve shields.

first-tire-with-assembly-kit-for-remaining-tires.jpg
first-inflated-tire-1.jpg
paint-booth.jpg
painted-rear-brake-drums-and-hubs-1.jpg
finished-painting-rear-third-of-chassis.jpg

Great build detail! I am glued to every post. I did not see anywhere on your blog or here a reason why you decided to eliminate the CTIS. Sorry if I missed it. Can you explain your reasoning? Was it just preventative to remove a potential mechanical system failure?
Yup, it was just to simplify the overall system a little. We actually didn't remove anything; we just capped it off and unplugged the controller, so if we (or a future owner) wants to bring it back, the CTIS controller can just be plugged in again and the wheels plumbed back up. We will see how we like the schrader valve setup. It seems pretty nice right now.

Michael

1951M1078

What bead locks did you use ? And was it a big deal to remove the run flats ?

And a big thanks for the guide book for my build !

Randy

Last edited:

Former95Bravo

Thank you SO much for taking the time to write this. I am in Hemet CA and was going to try the auction process on a [h=1]1994 Stewart & Stevenson M1078 LMTV 4x4 Cargo Truck with 3,750 miles. Now that I have seen what you posted, I wont buy one until I move to Arizona.[/h]

Duckworthe

Michael,
Still love the build! I need to come up and check it out one of these days! Keep up the good work and say hi to the wife! You two are a great team and kick butt. However, let's wrap it up and go on a trip already SHEESH! LOL
Eric

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michael,
Still love the build! I need to come up and check it out one of these days! Keep up the good work and say hi to the wife! You two are a great team and kick butt. However, let's wrap it up and go on a trip already SHEESH! LOL
Eric
Big Bend National Park in Oct for the 2nd Annual LMTV get together. It's only 9 hours farther than from San Antonio so should be doable. RAJ LMTV, TexAndy, and myself had a blast but it would have been more fun with more trucks. Here's a link to last years trip: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?156764-Big-Bend-NP-Get-Together

Moraurah

I hope this tread is not dead and that you are still working on your build. I am following your blog and nothing have been posted for the last 3 weeks.
I am french Canadian and my plan is also to build an expedition vehicle. I want you to know that sharing information and experiences like you do is very useful and appreciated. Best of luck with your project my friend.

Another Ahab

I am french Canadian and my plan is also to build an expedition vehicle. I want you to know that sharing information and experiences like you do is very useful and appreciated. Best of luck with your project my friend.
I recently met another newer Steel Soldier member like yourself (LonT), and he's got his eye on cobbling together a camper himself. Seems it's a popular idea.

And for the record:

- Welcome from down here in Virginia.

Moraurah

This is nice, we can all learn from each other build. I am planning to start from a m1079, fix it good and build a temporary camper in the van until I can put together a full custom camper box.
I have been living full time for the past 4 years in a slide-in camper. I know what I need and how it has to be done.
I live/work at a busy and remote lodge in the rocky mountains in Alberta. It is completly offgrid in every way and as a maintenance manager I keep everything running. The camper is only a smaller version of all the systems needed to run this lodge.
The FLTV is the upgrade I need as my old pick-up truck is getting tire after 41 years of hard work.

I need to know how those engines perform at 7000 ft of altitude and at temperature going down below 45°C.
The 3116, 3126 and C7.
Maybe someone who have experience with the FMTV in the Alaska winter can help me out.

Another Ahab

This is nice, we can all learn from each other build. I am planning to start from a m1079, fix it good and build a temporary camper in the van until I can put together a full custom camper box.
I have been living full time for the past 4 years in a slide-in camper. I know what I need and how it has to be done.

Maybe someone who have experience with the FMTV in the Alaska winter can help me out.
QUADJEEPER, and theeDIZ are also building campers, but they're working from their M109's.

I think they might each have a thread going on that.

I hope this tread is not dead and that you are still working on your build. I am following your blog and nothing have been posted for the last 3 weeks.
We are still making good progress; we have just been bad about updating the blog the last few weeks.

We finished all the frame painting. It turned out nice. We just started cab paint prep this weekend.
forward-frame-painted-2.jpg
modified-paint-booth.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks