• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 model year changes

scottmandu

If you want the CATs meow at a logical price (pardon the pun)..... buy the newist A0 you can get. Remove engine and replace with engine of your choice. Keep in mind you might need to go mechanical /non computer engine so you don't have to figure out how to get engine computer to talk to the Allison's computer. The A0's 3116 with no engine computer, does not talk to the Allison's computer so less software/hardware headaches for engine swapping in an A0.

For all I know though some computer engines can be fitted in a way to not talk to a tranny computer.... I've no experience in this.
Allison's WTEC controllers are designed to work with any engine and does require certain sensors to be installed. Computer controlled engines can fullfill the sensor requirements from the ECM. Non computer controlled engines have to have those sensors installed.

redman333

If you want the CATs meow at a logical price (pardon the pun)..... buy the newist A0 you can get. Remove engine and replace with engine of your choice. Keep in mind you might need to go mechanical /non computer engine so you don't have to figure out how to get engine computer to talk to the Allison's computer. The A0's 3116 with no engine computer, does not talk to the Allison's computer so less software/hardware headaches for engine swapping in an A0.

For all I know though some computer engines can be fitted in a way to not talk to a tranny computer.... I've no experience in this.
It's not that I want the newest. Just happen to see differences in models so was curious what they were. Also some features make it easier to work on the truck, for me at least. So if I can get the features that make it easier for me right of the bar rather then doing major swaps then I'll do that.

I don't personally want a mechanical engine. I have CAT et and Allison DOC and can flash both the CAT ecu's and can flash the programmable clallison TCMs to make them work as I want them to. For the electrical side I'm good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

coachgeo

Allison's WTEC controllers are designed to work with any engine and does require certain sensors to be installed. Computer controlled engines can fullfill the sensor requirements from the ECM. Non computer controlled engines have to have those sensors installed.
There is an RPM feed to the Allison Wtech on the 3116 trucks... what else?

As to swapping another engine and trying to mate with Allison in a specific truck; the Transmission Controller Modules (TCM) issue is proprietary software. Have read that Allison will not give you any information on how to get any engine's ECM to talk to their TCM except for an engine that has already been mated to that type tranny before by major manufacture. Hope I am wrong.... but if that is the case.... that leaves ONLY the 3126 and C7 as possible swaps cause they are only engines that ever mated to the version of Allison transmission in an A1 FMTV. Again hope I am wrong. Us Mericans love to swap engines around lol.

Last edited:

redman333

There is an RPM feed to the Allison Wtech on the 3116 trucks... what else?
That's all Allison sensors though. Allison supplies an input shaft(RPM), turbine speed, and output shaft(tailshaft) speed sensors. These are on all the transmissions though. Wtec any to gen 4. The newer gen 4 can get two engine speed signals. Can take it from the engine ECU over the j1939 network or from its own input shaft speed sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks