• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1079 AC Cable to Genset

spankybear

Replace it with a civilian twist lock. Convert to 120 240 single phase. Unless you specifically need 3 phase for something. The military cabling is expensive and overkill for most people.
I think that's where I am heading... Actually converting this into a coffee truck and am trying like **** to get a Genset Trailer.. Was hoping for a matching cable.. But looks like I may need to rewire.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
How much power do you need? You can probably mount a quiet inverter generator under the box.
There's some wisdom here. You don't need 208 3 phase power for a coffee stand. And certainly don't need 100 amps. This is going to cost you lots of money just for the cable then let alone connectors. Unless you are looking to keep it 100% military. I do understand this.

However, I would look at marine or RV service. They have 30 and 50 amps. Also a quite inverter generator are very nice. There are the name brand and Chinese knock off. They are quite, fuel efficient and easier to use. But they don't that that USGI feel, look or reliability issues.

fjdedrick

I would pull the one out of the dist. box and cap the hole before I sold the cable knowing it was going to get cut. Yes I know if I sold it, it is none of my business what he does with it, but go find another one and see how long that takes without paying an arm and leg.
I actually agree with you 100%

How much for all three... I'll fab the Genset with the Female from your distribution box. Keep the Cable Intact and maintain integrity. I'm picking up a Genset Trailer in Whitehall Ohio tommorow and really hoping to grab a generator this Wednesday.

fjdedrick

There's some wisdom here. You don't need 208 3 phase power for a coffee stand. And certainly don't need 100 amps. This is going to cost you lots of money just for the cable then let alone connectors. Unless you are looking to keep it 100% military. I do understand this.

However, I would look at marine or RV service. They have 30 and 50 amps. Also a quite inverter generator are very nice. There are the name brand and Chinese knock off. They are quite, fuel efficient and easier to use. But they don't that that USGI feel, look or reliability issues.
I need 240 volt for the espresso machine.. The Coffee Maker, fridge, hot water heater, Nitro machine and Ice Maker bring me up to about 12000 watts and 70 amps... I have an inverter already hooked up for the lights and vent...

fjdedrick

I need 240 volt for the espresso machine.. The Coffee Maker, fridge, hot water heater, Nitro machine and Ice Maker bring me up to about 12000 watts and 70 amps... I have an inverter already hooked up for the lights and vent...

I may run three lp inverters if this doesn't pan out...

spankybear

I'm going to go remove the paint.... How much for the cable.... God I hate to cut it... I only need that female...

There are connectors on the e that have already had the cable cut off... Lots of copper in the cable... and scrappers like copper.

spankybear

12000 watts is 50 amps at 240 volts... and given that not everything will be running at the same.... 70 amps I would say is on the high side.

fjdedrick

Three Phase let's me leave the original plug alone as well as the Original Distribution Panel. I was hoping to save some cash there... I've depleted every **** dollar I have. Lok

My wife and I had this dream... We're chasing it.

coachgeo

Military gen set.... better make sure it is not too loud. Lot of places won't let you stay set up... or maybe won't invite you back to another event they are part off if your set up is simply too loud.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Military gen set.... better make sure it is not too loud. Lot of places won't let you stay set up... or maybe won't invite you back to another event they are part off if your set up is simply too loud.
You can have a conversation standing next to my GETT 20kW with it running. MEP's aren't much worse. An 803 would be appropriate size for his needs. Still need to bastardize a cable.....

I'm in the process of doing similar with 60amp 208v 3phase

fjdedrick

Great advice... But I've been next to them and I belive they are good to go.. Especially with Trailer off and set behind truck.

fjdedrick

You can have a conversation standing next to my GETT 20kW with it running. MEP's aren't much worse. An 803 would be appropriate size for his needs. Still need to bastardize a cable.....

I'm in the process of doing similar with 60amp 208v 3phase
If I can source this thing this week... The test will be made!

Bring liquid cooled.. I can insulate the cabin a bit more. Most sound is crankcase sound... We shall see!

Who wouldn't want world class coffee out of this thing though!

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never thought about the sound issue, so I did a quick test with an app on my phone
All measurements are at the loudest average point.

Duramax at 1 ft 80db
MEP804A at 1ft 100bd
at 3ft 92db
at 6ft 88db
at 10ft 84db

Quiet office is 55-60db

Normal speaking voice is about 75db

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The female side (socket with threads) that I have, looks to have about 1' of tail that could be tapped on to.

IMG_2279[1].jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks