• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1079 Completley Dark after pushing start Button

fjdedrick

I've had my M1079 for 4 days.... Everything worked perfect for 1000 miles.

I went to start it this morning...turned on the Lights flipped on the engine run switch and truck went completely dark. Last thing I heard was relay. Then nothing.

Checked power inverter in the box and getting no power there. I gave it, 10 minutes of diagnosis. No tripped breakers.

No burning smell... But the hydraulic pump will run from the box outside.

Had to go to work so that's where I stopped.

Where should I start when I get home?

I will buy a volt meter and two batteries on the way home to wire up a jump pack... Just not real confident that it's simply dead batteries.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
When you own a lmtv or any other mil surplus truck its a good idea to keep a variety of tools, stuff like spare wire o rings duct tape hose clamps zip ties and a multimeter on hand. You will find a need for the majority of it at one time or another.

fjdedrick

When you own a lmtv or any other mil surplus truck its a good idea to keep a variety of tools, stuff like spare wire o rings duct tape hose clamps zip ties and a multimeter on hand. You will find a need for the majority of it at one time or another.
Great Advice.... I've done a good share of old Chevy truck builds... But this is way out of my wheel house!

snowtrac nome

fjdedrick

I should probably add that I gutted all the wiring to the Black Out box in the back... And rewired all the outlets and lights straight to the Service panel..

The only thing that remains is the 24v power to the Inverter which then powers the panel. Which powers the outlets and lights. I cut out all the window shade and door micro switches.

Cut and capped a ton of yellow wires coming in from the top plug leading onto box. All except the clearance lights.

Truck was fine for two days after that.. But of there is some sort of security feature there.. That could be a problem.

coachgeo

That box on the wall in back is the inverter... Nothing was left plugged in or on. ..IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180410/6a648abd15ffd4c6a2782919b561ca9e.jpg[/IMG
As you can see in this quote showing the URL of your pics.. they are NOT uploaded to here... they are hosted at tapatalk. Keep in mind.... that means any and all pictures hosted there will eventually be axed and/or held hostage like has occurred with photobucket*. Any and all posts on a bulletin board that has one of those tapatalk hosted pictures will then no longer be of any value. Just useless words cause they reference blank pictures. So do yourself a favor and a favor for the other hundred people that may look at your thread for information a year or two from now.... jump before your computer and download your pics for yourself for storage...... AND then go to each bulletin board's post you put them in and hit edit and UPLOAD/ATTACH the pictures you inserted with tapatalk earlier that day. You can use the tapatalk image link like one above to upload/attach the pics to here pretty easy. Can't do that with some other boards.

*in my 30ish years on bulletin boards EVERY Picture hosting site to arrive on the internet collapses eventually. There is not one I've ever seen last more than 10 years.... most collapse after about 3 years.

Last edited:

fjdedrick

Ok.. I have the meter and I'm at the truck...

Each battery measures 12.7*

The posts at the dash measure
12.9v from ground to 12volt post
13.1v from 12volt to 24volt post

24.9 from Ground to 34 volt post

fjdedrick

When I hit the Engine Run Switch the ignition relay fires and the low pressure alarm chips for the slightest second then immediately dead again.

No breakers tripped.. I'm pulling and reinsert in them all.

fjdedrick

I'd I leave the switch on... The relay clicks every one second and the volt gauge drops to zero. Keeps cycling.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
You can have ok measured batt voltage but a lousy connection and it still wont start. Check the starter connections too. Big ground meets up there.

fjdedrick

I'm definitely feeling like it's a connection more and more...

Hydraulic pulps cycles, but creates no power.... Going in!

agazza2

Definitely pull the battery terminals off and clean them. Make sure all the connections to all the posts are tight. I had the same problem before, and it usually is just loose or dirty connections.

fjdedrick

Ok... Cleaned and tightened every terminal!

I have lights and full everything... But i think my batteries won't tune over over... It just tries to crank and immediately resets.. Mike bang, bang, bang..

Can I jump with a twelve volt or do I need to string two batteries toghther to make 24v

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks