• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 & Gichner S280 Overland Expedition Build

acropilot

Hi All,

I have been working on my truck for about 9 months at an aggressive pace trying to turn it into an overland Expedition Truck. I'll try to post a little bit each day till it is caught up to where I am currently with the build:

This is as i got the truck late last year: (2005 with C7 Cat. 3040 miles on it). In great condition.

DSC04630.jpg

Changed the Air Dryer and replaced all hydraulic lines. Replaced the spare tire actuating cylinder.

She is home next to the Gichner S280 that i bought. It was a former Battery repair station and overhauled in 2011. Took out about 3000 pounds with of cabinetry and gear out of it.
DSC04639.jpg

Overdrive

Those battery repair station S280s with the shower setup are pretty sweet. Great score!

I am still trying to find an S280 with the dolly mounts to setup my Overland trailer with the M720 dolly I won.

Last edited:

acropilot

Hey Overdrive. Thanks for your post. Yeah the S280 was a great score. It was rebuilt in 2013. Lots good gear in there. I repurposed as much as I could..
Good luck in your search.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Acropilot that 1083 is one fine looking truck! I did the same thing your working on except I had my S-280 in my Deuce, my 280 was a comm center, and I sure understand about removing stuff! Mine still had the AC/Heater units on it above the cab of the truck they were of no use to me at all since if I remember right they were like 208 Volt? I took them off the mounts and my plan was going to be strip them out and just keep the boxes and install my generator unit and A/C unit in them to keep the original look of the shelter. I really liked my 280 a lot and I put a lot of work and money into it making it water tight and was working on the windows when i realized that I am never going to use this enough to be worth all the time and money I have into it. I sold the shelter last year, good guy and he is a member on this site, and he got a really GREAT DEAL!!!!!
Great luck on your build and I will be looking for more posts.
Karl

Overdrive

Post your build progress I am interested to follow an Overland build. Did one already on my Hydro repair trailer for my jeeps to pull and starting on a m1102 with S250 shelter. S280 will be my future Overland project.

acropilot

Acropilot that 1083 is one fine looking truck! I did the same thing your working on except I had my S-280 in my Deuce, my 280 was a comm center, and I sure understand about removing stuff! Mine still had the AC/Heater units on it above the cab of the truck they were of no use to me at all since if I remember right they were like 208 Volt? I took them off the mounts and my plan was going to be strip them out and just keep the boxes and install my generator unit and A/C unit in them to keep the original look of the shelter. I really liked my 280 a lot and I put a lot of work and money into it making it water tight and was working on the windows when i realized that I am never going to use this enough to be worth all the time and money I have into it. I sold the shelter last year, good guy and he is a member on this site, and he got a really GREAT DEAL!!!!!
Great luck on your build and I will be looking for more posts.
Karl
Thank you and sorry about the late reply. Was on a two week trip with the truck and all systems installed in the shelter worked great.
I hear you about the money spent. I have already spent more than i should have on the shelter. But it is quite comfortable inside with decent systems. The windows are next. Of course after AC install in the cab. It was a loud and hot trip through the continental divide. Will post pics now.

Best,

Tony

acropilot

Replacing Hydraulic lines on the truck

DSC04695.jpgDSC04696.jpgDSC04697.jpgDSC04698.jpgIMG_0227.jpgIMG_0228.jpg

When I first got the truck, the hydraulic actuator for the spare wheel was ionp. I was able to find a brand new one from one of the fellows on the forum, and while at it, changed all of the hydraulic lines behind the manifold. Had to drop the fuel tank to get to the lines behind the manifold. It was tedious work, but pretty straight forward.

acropilot

Original Truck

IMG_0062.jpgIMG_0126.jpgIMG_0127.jpgIMG_0128.jpg

Original truck with troop seats and trying out the spare tire actuation

IMG_0548.jpgIMG_0550 (1).jpgIMG_0550.jpg

Troop Seats removed and getting it prepared for the S280 to be mounted on the bed

Last edited:

acropilot

Generator, propane tank and Auxillary Diesel Fuel Tank Installation

IMG_0568.jpgIMG_0569.jpgIMG_0570.jpgIMG_0571.jpgIMG_0572.jpgIMG_0573.jpgIMG_0574.jpgView attachment 637243

I mounted the Honda EU2000 generator on top of the AHU bracket. To its left I installed the tool box holding the propane tanks for the shelter as well as additional storage for tools. Next to it on the right hand side of the truck, I installed a 54 gal Auxiliary Diesel Fuel tank with its own pump and dispenser.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks