• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 box removal

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes I searched. I did not find. I have no forklift, crane, wrecker, etc. I need to drop it into a tight spot. Can it be slid off somehow? Any suggestions? Anyone in SOCAL wanna swap for a M35 bed?

dittle

Do you have the equipment to block up the back end, pull forward and then block up the front as it gets close to coming off the frame? Or will this even work....will you catch something from the box on the frame?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the one with the junk 109 box right? Are you trying to keep it for storage or something? If not unbolt everything but a couple bolts and drive it to a salvage yard and have them lift it off. That will save you from disposing of it too.:wink:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the one with the junk 109 box right? Are you trying to keep it for storage or something? If not unbolt everything but a couple bolts and drive it to a salvage yard and have them lift it off. That will save you from disposing of it too.:wink:
Rusty roof M109 box, yes. Everything else looks good - two or three new windows even. My plan is to drop on site for quad storage (and tar/seal the roof) or get rid of it. There are lots of good box parts on it, so I didn't want to just dump it at a scrap yard, but I'm not motovated enough to part it myself.

If someone SOCAL wanted it to fix or part I would swap (with cash if needed) for a regular bed.

rizzo

LOOK IN THE TM!!!!!

IIRC part of the box frame sticks down next to the truck frame. don't forget to unhook the fuel and power connection in the front

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOOK IN THE TM!!!!!

IIRC part of the box frame sticks down next to the truck frame. don't forget to unhook the fuel and power connection in the front

The TM doesn't say much about getting off with homeowner tools. I read the TMs about disconnecting everything.

I'm interested in how to "git er done" without getting hurt.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you unhook the trailers electrics, fuel line and wiring going to the shop body, all four splash guards, and as rizzo mentions......the bracket that is on each side near the front of the body.....they unbolt.

Back it in to where you want it. Hook a chain on the arse of the body. Put the truck in gear and take off......straight. It will drop on the ground right where you chain it. Make sure you have the means to pull the chain together, i.e. a screw binder, etc. unhook the chain and you're done.

Done it to many times this way. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS SECURED ON THE SHOP BODY.

How hard is it gonna hit the deck? Will windows shatter?

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I have sorced a SOCAL M35 bed. Now I need to decide if I should:

1. Drop it in the back as a shed (the chatroom favorite)
2. Trade it or sell it for parts
3. Part it then unload it at the scrap yard

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like unless a better idea pops up overnight, I will drop it on the ground next to my garage and use it for quad storage. I will be able to part the windows since I can neatly replace them with plywood or metal sheeting. The best part is, once its up and functioning as a water tight shed, I can drive my deuce over the top of my old metal shed to prep it for a trip to the dump!!

jesusgatos

Can I buy the front window out of it? It's a different size than the rest of them and I really need one for the motorhome conversion I'm building right now. The front window frame screws into place, so you won't even have to drill any rivets.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can I buy the front window out of it? It's a different size than the rest of them and I really need one for the motorhome conversion I'm building right now. The front window frame screws into place, so you won't even have to drill any rivets.

Depends on how easily it can be covered with sheetmetal or plywood. It's going to be a shed and painted the same color as the garage.

Or the garage will be painted to match the shed....................

jesusgatos

Depends on how easily it can be covered with sheetmetal or plywood. It's going to be a shed and painted the same color as the garage.

Or the garage will be painted to match the shed....................
I can give you a CAD blueprint/template with the exact dimensions of the window and all of the mounting holes. Print it out, trace it onto a piece of woo... whaamo. Yer done. Let me know how much you want for it.

tm america

the chain idea works just need to make sure it comes off straight and i would put some old tires on the ground to break the fall.try to do it on flat ground so it comes off level

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the chain idea works just need to make sure it comes off straight and i would put some old tires on the ground to break the fall.try to do it on flat ground so it comes off level
No old tires around, but I was thinking about some hay or straw bales. ???

The spot it's planned for is pretty level - not perfect. After it's down I'll use the high lift to get a couple railroad ties under it and level it. Every three or four years it floods and water flows back that way. The ties will keep it high and dry.