• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 box removal

gunboy1656

How about an anchor point and come-a-long, that way you can control it while sliding off the frame.

Use a couple off road jacks for when you get so far off the bed, and another friend or 2 to lower it slowly. once the back is down then lift the front a bit, drive out then set it down.

Just my thought

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about an anchor point and come-a-long, that way you can control it while sliding off the frame.

Use a couple off road jacks for when you get so far off the bed, and another friend or 2 to lower it slowly. once the back is down then lift the front a bit, drive out then set it down.

Just my thought
I'll get plenty of pics and video of course, but............

The spot it needs to go is pretty tight and there is no anchor point. I will squeeze my lil truck (2500HD crew cab with the 8 foot bed) back there and tie off to the hitch. I want to TRY and tie my quad off to it and see if the winch on the quad will move it slowly. If not I may go pick up some come alongs or just drive away slowly in the deuce.

jesusgatos

...tie my quad off to it and see if the winch on the quad will move it slowly.
Hah. I'd like to see that. I think it sounds like the kind of thing that might be better to do quickly, like taking off a band-aid. If you winch it off slowly, it almost seems like you'd be more likely to damage the box when it tips forward as it comes all the way off.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hah. I'd like to see that. I think it sounds like the kind of thing that might be better to do quickly, like taking off a band-aid. If you winch it off slowly, it almost seems like you'd be more likely to damage the box when it tips forward as it comes all the way off.
What's the worst that could happen? Your future window would break? :)

There's no room to do a quick drive off. It has to be slow and easy.

grounded

Banned
HEY im finally home. i see your scrapping it. Remember them parts i told you i want when you chuck it ;)... MY WINDOWS . rofl

o yea ill ship that shackle out also

powerhouseduece

Here is the easy way to do it. Find the person that wants to trade you, tell them bring a flat deck car trailer. Then drive your truck to a truck shop that has a large 2 post lift. as soon as you get there take all the bolts out and back it up to the lift, than lift the box off and drive the truck out. back the car trailer under and set the box on the trailer and strap it down.

With all that said, ask dm22630 how easy it is, I loaded a m35 bed for him that way and it took all of 5 min.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the easy way to do it. Find the person that wants to trade you, tell them bring a flat deck car trailer. Then drive your truck to a truck shop that has a large 2 post lift. as soon as you get there take all the bolts out and back it up to the lift, than lift the box off and drive the truck out. back the car trailer under and set the box on the trailer and strap it down.

With all that said, ask dm22630 how easy it is, I loaded a m35 bed for him that way and it took all of 5 min.

I have a bed lined up with someone who will load it on my truck. I don't have alot of SOCAL interest for a rusty top 109 box. I can seal the top with roofing tar and use it as a shed, but I have to get it off without forklifts, twin post lifts etc. The plan is to try to use a combo of pulling it off and driving out from under it.

And - I WILL have pics, once I get started.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
HEY im finally home. i see your scrapping it. Remember them parts i told you i want when you chuck it ;)... MY WINDOWS . rofl

o yea ill ship that shackle out also
Yes you were 1st in line. It's getting to be a long line in my PM box. Seems everyone needs windows or covers. Wish someone local wanted the whole box.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The box is removed. It went pretty well overall. It was a tight spot with no anchor point. I used a chain link fence post and the pintle hook attachment on my 2500HD GMC which was sitting sideways. We used cargo straps doubled up vice chain. The bad thing about the straps is they rubber band a bit, but it was so tight if a chain broke I was worried it would hit my little truck. The staps do not snap back when they break. We went slow and easy and had minimal damage - we destroyed a rear tail light on the deuce.

Once it was on the deck we leveled it out and placed it on railroad ties.

After a quick shower me and soldier B (the BOY) headed north to Hundy's place to get the new bed. I should have aired down, because 50 PSI with NOTHING on the back it gets rough. It was so rough at the 15/60 interchange I thought I broke something or had a few flat tires. The truck had plenty of power even running up the grade though. Once at Mark's place he quickly loaded the bed up and we got some bolts securing it down. He even gave us another tail light to replace the one that we field repaired (green duct tape - hey it worked). Mark aka "Hundy" is a great dude and a solid businessman too. Deal with him any time you can.

Oh and there's no "action" pics because I made my Soldier B and Soldier C clear the area. I stopped to check it out and got the one pic.

Here's a few pics..............

Attachments

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks to Dog Head and all the chatroom guys who gave me advice (some of it good even) and to all the advice in this thread. She pulled off straight and true, no sliding around.

More pics:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks