• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 camper conversion

rogersn67

Ok, I just spent almost 3 hours reading this thread, and all I could think the whole time was " how incredible that these 2 work so closely, and with such talent!" I am totally impressed with the work you have done. I wish I could make the rally in Ga, so i could meet both of you. Keep up the incredible work!

(Just for the record, I would kill to find a woman with your qualities MDMORGANWIFE)

indy4x4fab

Banned
What the heck? SWB 5 ton? Is that an expando box? I've never heard of such an animal! What tires?
No its not an expando box, very rare, VERY, its basically a five ton version of the m109a2, but this truck from what i have read was use as a com truck to route navel beach landings and keep things flowing smoothly while they set up a permeate command post.

It has 395/85r20 on combat rims, I think. A buddy of at a local mil museum told me the army only ordered 125 of these trucks and that most of them end up being left over sea after they where set over seas.

3dAngus

That tool/accessory box is REALLY going to come in handy. I wish I could locate about ten of them all the way around my M109A3. Unfortunately, I can only get in one, and there is already a water tank in that position. Nice job!

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I've got 3 more, I want to mount 1 on my deuce in place of the spare tire carrier and I could mount another one on the other side of the camper where the fuel tank was but I don't think I really need that much storage, I don't know. I will be bringing 2 of them to the rally with me and if they sell then I guess I don't need them, lol.

rogersn67

I've got 3 more, I want to mount 1 on my deuce in place of the spare tire carrier and I could mount another one on the other side of the camper where the fuel tank was but I don't think I really need that much storage,
I would put the elctrical stuff, connections for "Shore Power" inverter for transforming 12 or 24 v to 110... etc.
I am taking the bed off my m-105 right now to put a try in for 2-12 volt batteries and a fuel tank, then in the bed will go the storage drums with filtration for WMO. I will run my backhoe off it till I find the right deuce.

goldneagle

I was really surprised at just how perfect of a fit this was!!!
I have the same box since i originally installed it on my M820A2. Just be aware that it leaks. I even aded some weather stripping and it still leaks. Also I recommend you drill some drain holes on the bottom. We both installed it upside down. The bottom of mine was flooded after a few rainy days. With the drain holes at least it doesn't flood anymore.

Maybe you will figure out a way to stop the leaking. I would be interested to know how you do it.

BTW I found a small Master padlock that will fit through the hole of the slide bolt.

Attachments

Last edited:

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I have the same box since i originally installed it on my M820A2. Just be aware that it leaks. I even aded some weather stripping and it still leaks. Also I recommend you drill some drain holes on the bottom. We both installed it upside down. The bottom of mine was flooded after a few rainy days. With the drain holes at least it doesn't flood anymore.

Maybe you will figure out a way to stop the leaking. I would be interested to know how you do it.

BTW I found a small Master padlock that will fit through the hole of the slide bolt.
I did notice they were not very water tight, and I do have an idea on a fix but it will have to wait till after the rally.

Yes it can be towed behind anything. Well, anything deuce size or larger.
I saw in your posts that you were going to try to weigh the trailer at some point. Have you done so? If not, do you have an idea about what it might be?

I pulled our M109A3 back from the local base with my Deuce, and I could feel it, but was still able to stay between 45 and 50 once I got it there.

LC

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I saw in your posts that you were going to try to weigh the trailer at some point. Have you done so? If not, do you have an idea about what it might be?

I pulled our M109A3 back from the local base with my Deuce, and I could feel it, but was still able to stay between 45 and 50 once I got it there.

LC
I wanted to get a start weight but time got away from me and we had to start building if it was going to be ready for the rally, but i will get a final weight when we are done, if I had to guess though I would say somewhere between 6-8K.

mdmorganwife

Phew, We worked hard this weekend on it, Just a couple more finishing touches then we are done for this year.... the inverter and battery are just set up like that for this year. We will run everything better after the rally. On the axle is the leveling system that hubby came up with...and the floor is done!

Attachments

indy4x4fab

Banned
I that small water heater on demand, in picture two? Can you guys give us a little bit more info on it? Possible a close up picture of it? And where did you get it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks