• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 No start, what's this noob missing?

scooter01922

I do hate to rain on the parade but he can't do that test to see if the lift pump is shot, mostly because the truck won't start, hence the thread titled
But i do agree, sounds like the IP is in need of some attention.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

scooter01922 said:
I do hate to rain on the parade but he can't do that test to see if the lift pump is shot, mostly because the truck won't start, hence the thread titled
But i do agree, sounds like the IP is in need of some attention.
You're right. The truck won't start so the injector pump cannot be trouble shot by running the engine. I was telling him how to test the injector pump's lift pump for future problems... That way he doesn't waste time looking at the tank fuel pump. Once he gets 2psi through the fuel filters the manual says that the system is working correctly from the tank to the injector pump. He knows he is getting fuel to the injector pump. So the next thing that pushes fuel is the injector's lift pump, if it is seized then no fuel to the injectors which is what he is experiencing. I say it is the lift pump, it could be a few other things in the injector pump but frankly this smacks of the lift pump not working.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well seems if there is 5-7 lb at the secondary and final filters then it is able to bypass the IP fuel pump and the head would have 5-7 at it to.

SasquatchSanta

I recently installed two fuel pressure gauges. One reads between the in-tank pump and the primary filter. The other reads immediately after the primay filter.

The pre-primary filter pressure is 6 PSI. Post primary filter pressure is just a little over 5 PSI.

Dueceownerjoe

Floridianson said:
Thank you, I read the article but I was afraid to crack open a pump. I was a Jr. truck mechanic a long time ago but I never got into pumps. Fortunately my BIL was a tech for Cummins years ago and said he'd take a look at it.

I'll post what we find after he checks it out.

Thanks everyone. I just want to hear it run. Then I have to attack the brakes. There isn't any and the reurn line to the Master cylinder is disconnected.

I should have known. Cheap truck = plenty of work.

Dueceownerjoe

Okay I've pulled the plug off of the top of the head and when I turn on the electric fuel pump, fuel gushes out. I cranked it over while my father held a wooden dowel in the plunger hole and it moved up and down. We put the plug back in and tried to start the truck and still no fuel to the injectors. I removed an injection line at the pump head and there was a little fuel in there but when we turned the pump back on and when we cranked the truck over, no fuel would come out of the injector line hole.

What do I try next?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
On my almost cherry rebuilt in 2004 M109 it would only start for a second then quit. Thankfully my sons learned enough from me to trace the problem to a paper thin fuel line on the frame rail thanks to a GL forklift that also dented the pan. This is verified by the fact that there is no rust on the damage and the line was so flat almost no fuel got through and the engine only caught the first time and then would not start. They changed the flattened portion with rubber hose and it took off and ran like a top.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks