• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109a2

Dukeman

My very first post. I'm so excited I can't hardly breath today. I am looking at a M109A2 this afternoon in my local area. I don't know yet if it is the 427 or 465. No winch, non-turbo. The owner says he has had it about 6 years and he bought it from the person who purchased it at auction here in NM. Owner says as far as he can tell it has always been in NM. High desert climate. No rust. The purpose for a purchase like this is to keep me, my family and friends from getting stuck in the sand at our local lake. I have a 1 ton F350 diesel 4x4 pulling a 26' fiver and last weekend I got completely stuck going in and going out. On the way out I was assisted by a Deuce. There are a ton of them down here that cruise the sand at the lake basically doing the same thing I want to do. So basically I will drive this 150 miles down to the lake and then it won't see another 150 miles for probably 10 years. From the storage area to the water pulling my fifth wheel and back.

So any advice you can give me in my pre-purchase inspection would be greatly appreciated. I know the 465 is preferred but I don't know why. Are there definite problems with the 427 or is it just underpowered? Owner says he just paid more then he is asking for to have a clutch put in. He bought it because his son bought two of them and then needed some money to do some upgrades to his, so dad (seller) bought one off his son with the intent to some day turn in to RV. He knows he will never do that now and really just wants it off his property. He is not trying to make money off it, just needs it gone. Says he has the turbo to go with it if I want it.

Dukeman

I have down loaded the Inspection Manual out of the tech section which gives a great starting point, but any first hand experience would be greatly appreciated. Owner says it has the Hercules Multi-fuel engine. Runs great, all gauges, brakes, tires are in good shape. Says it will need batteries soon, but they are ok for now. Okay, I'll stop now and listen.

If the turbo is a free "throw in", TAKE IT! Weather it's a C (whistler) or a D (quiet) model, it'll be nice to have the option to install it if you're so inclined. The C model is a bit more expensive but the D model isn't cheap either, so like I always say "If it's free, it's for me!".
Even if you don't install it, it'll still be good to have around to trade for some other part you may need later. Welcome to the "Green Fever Club"! There's a vast wealth of information and knowlege here on SS and I too am learning new stuff all the time! There's also lots of cool and informational video clips on youtube posted by other SS members. Take advantage of the info at your disposal and most of all, HAVE FUN!
:beer:

Dukeman

I plan on welding up some type of removable hitch system on the back. I don't have the vehicle yet, but I have seen it done on other M35's at the lake. I'll probably just copy something that I see.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does this 109 variant still have the van body on the back? Also, the LDS427 never came without a turbo. Might have an LD engine. Post pics so we can help sort it out.

The only 2 ways I can think of off the top of my head to move a 5th-wheel trailer with an M109 would be to either take an M105 trailer chassis with the bed removed and mount a 5th-wheel plate on it effectively turning it onto a dolly as I stated in my last reply, or building some kind of conversion that will hard mount on the gooseneck of the trailer and kick forward to carry a pintle ring and couple to the pintle hitch on the truck. I would think anything else might raise the eyebrow of a law enforcement officer and have him question weather what you're doing is legal or safe. If you're gonna build it yourself, take a good look into DOT requirements and make sure it's not gonna get you hassled or at the worst, sued, jailed or both. I'm a welder/fabricator by trade and worked under a cranky old fart who was so good at what he did, everyone put up with his crankyness. I learned a lot from him and one of his biggest philosophies was "When in doubt, OVERBUILD IT!" especially when lives depend on it holding together. I don't think I need to tell you that manipulating and backing a 5th-wheel trailer behind an M109 is gonna be difficult at best, even if the truck has some type of power-assisted steering. The limited visibility due to the shelter box could be a real pain (more so if you're going to connect it through a dolly) unless you're planning to mount a high-mounted backup camera with in-cab video monitor.
In my years on this planet, I've come to find that nothing is impossible, but the difficult can get really expensive! Good luck!
Feel free to PM me if you need any further advise.

Dukeman

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. The camera is definitely a must. As far as DOT and all that, first off, this isn't Calif. Nothing against CA, I was born and raised there. I'm a Huntington Beach kid. But this is New Mexico. This truck would carry my 5th wheel from a storage lot about a quarter mile to the sand. There are at least 20 of these truck scattered in lots down there that do the same thing. Safety is number #1. We will design something then have it professionally welded. I'm not going to take the chance of failure. Really though guys I was wondering more about the Hercules engine. I guess it looks like it is or can be a reliable work horse. People still run them, parts are available, stuff like that.

Thrust

Dukeman, Welcome. I'm fairly new here and in 2010 purchased my 71 M35A2 for the exact same reason at the exact same lake. I store it there during the summer but drive it often during the rest of the year because it's awesome. I have a 19 ft trailer (goose neck) and I built a custom receiver that allows me to tow it or switch it to tow other trailers. I have towed a 30 ft trailer through some very thick sand there. There is a learning curve when first driving in sand with a deuce. Please continue to read info on this site, download the manuals and SEARCH for topics. Feel free to PM me with any questions or possibly meet at the lake.

Attachments

Not a problem Duke, I stayed in HB for a little while right off Beach Bl. and Slater Av. but I grew up in Gardena. Let's be honest here, when it comes to California, the scenery is beautiful, most of the people are cool, but the laws suck and the governing body of this state seems to collectively suffer a serious god-complex, freedom here is quickly eroding, and I can't wait to move!
Having said that, I was under the assumption that you were pulling a substantial distance in traffic situations. It sounds to me like your best bet (and cheapest) will be building a dolly using an M105 and a 5th-wheel plate. The benefit of this is the M105 has parking brakes and you can leave it coupled to your trailer when camping. If you lock the plate release on the dolly, you can wrap a good stout chain through the pintle ring a few times, lock it, and theft shouldn't be a problem. Also leaving the dolly coupled to the trailer eliminates having to goof around with the landing gear on the trailer every time you unhook it.
Now a word on the 465 LDT. Weather it's a Hercules, a Continental, or a White (which I have in my 72 M35A2) they are all built according to the same blueprints and specs. Reliability is entirely dependent on how well it was cared for and how it's been treated. If it's been taken care of, it's a good solid workhorse and plenty strong enough for what you want to do. The multifuel capability just sweetens the deal! Since you're taking that 5th-wheel trailer to the lake, I'm assuming you have other toys you're playing with down there. When you change the oil in the other toys, save that used oil, mix it with a little gasoline to thin it out, pump it through a filter and feed it to that deuce. A quart or two of automatic trans fluid will also help keep the fuel system clean and boost your torque output as ATF stores more BTU energy than pump diesel. If you have access to used ATF, filter it too and feed it to the deuce. She'll love you for it and like anything else, take good care of her, and she'll take good care of you!

Dukeman

awww, thrust, exactly the way I was thinking! Yeah, would love to meet at the lake. I'll be back there next weekend the 19th. I will PM you and you can pull me out when I get stuck again, lol. I'm sitting here waiting to see if this guy is going to call me to come look at the deuce. Thanks Redbeard, hopefully I will be looking at this thing today or this weekend. I'll be so bummed if he doesn't call.

G-Force

Really....what do you want to haul a camper trailer for if you have the van body????? Your camper is built right on the truck already....you just have to furnish it.....

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really....what do you want to haul a camper trailer for if you have the van body????? Your camper is built right on the truck already....you just have to furnish it.....
While I would agree having built out my 109, I'm thinking he's taking toys to the sand (bikes, quads, etc) that fit in the back of the 5th wheel. That stuff isn;t gonna fit in the 109 and give you much room for comforts.

Dukeman

lawdog there is only a small picture on Craigslist but yes it does appear to be White. Do you know something about it. I still haven't seen it yet. The guy was supposed to call me yesterday afternoon, but I never heard from him.

lawdog1623

I dont know anything about it. I was looking for a 109 as well and a member directed me to check this one out on craigslist. Another member on here whom i know called about it and im nearly certain he said it was a non turbo truck. That means it could be an lds engine. Im not sure how that could be, considering the year.