• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m109a3 sell whole, part it out, or sell for scrap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewitt_jay

I recently purchased a 1974 m109a3 with a seized engine. It was cheap so I just thought I would gamble on it. I have no intentions of repairing it even though everthing else seems to be in really good condition. It had just made a 600 mile trip when it happened to break down in my home town. It has 16k miles and no rust issues and a hard top. So my question is if you were in my situation, what would you do with it?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently purchased a 1974 m109a3 with a seized engine. It was cheap so I just thought I would gamble on it. I have no intentions of repairing it even though everthing else seems to be in really good condition. It had just made a 600 mile trip when it happened to break down in my home town. It has 16k miles and no rust issues and a hard top. So my question is if you were in my situation, what would you do with it?
I would list it in the classifieds complete some will put a motor in it .

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would put a motor in it.

You don't want to, so your only option is to part it out.

I'll give you $100 for the IP, injectors and the turbo, if its a "D".

Scrounge41

I'm thinking that if I didn't want to take the time to put another engine in it I wouldn't want to spend the time pulling parts off of it to sell. I'd sell it whole.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking that if I didn't want to take the time to put another engine in it I wouldn't want to spend the time pulling parts off of it to sell. I'd sell it whole.
Brilliant observation. Installing an engine would be mucho faster than parting it out. I'm sure there will be a buyer for this truck. Gimpyrobbs pricing guide would be very fair for both parties.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
If you've never parted one of these out, there's more to it than you think. They are simple, but it's a 25' long, 14K lb truck worth of simple. It is a heck of a lot less work to swap and engine rather than parting it out.

Swapping an engine is easy, cheap is you can get a deal on a good engine and will yield a vehicle with decent market value.

All that being said, if it has a winch on it, I'd be interested in the complete kit (winch, mounts, pto, driveshaft, etc.).

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brief hijack. Clinto, please expound on how you got that cab off the truck. Looks like the gantry has run out of lift to cleas the engine.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Brief hijack. Clinto, please expound on how you got that cab off the truck. Looks like the gantry has run out of lift to cleas the engine.
I got it as high as it would go (see image).

Stood on the frame in front of the cab.

Tilted it down in the front, up in the back, then rolled it backwards so that the rear of the cab cleared the front of the cargo bed.

Then I reached down and grabbed the front of the cab, pivoted it up and slid it backwards, into the cargo bed.

If you look carefully, you can see the 2x4 boards I had positioned in the bed in preparation.

Once I had slid the cab into the bed, I backed another deuce up to the parts truck and offloaded the cab into it. It's now being taken apart so I can sandblast it and paint it for my dump truck (my cab is trashed).

If you look at IMG1153 you can see the cab is now in the bed of the truck in the background.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto, you need a wrecker!
I told clintogf to make Tony an offer on his! He doesn't need it like I do! rofl

And a pole building!
I just need the money for it! Already have the 30x40 reinforced concrete pad. I didn't think it would be this hard to come up with 15-20K $$$$$$$.

lol that deuce looks familiar!!!!
If only I was at home (or had not been too lazy to set up a remote log-in setup) I would post the pics of 3 guys trying to unload a truck with no brakes or steering!

In 100° weather! :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.