• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A4 Project

rwbrown72

Here we go... I'm building my M109A4 for the upcoming zombie attack! It is going to be similar to Mike's from SC in that it will have space for a pantry and some living quarters. I plan on using it for fun events for my company as well as a bug-out vehicle. Here goes....:beer:

Step 1 Get all windows to work and seal up. No leaks please!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

rwbrown72

Have you decided on the interior layout yet?

Plans for:

Power
Water
Waste
Cooking
Heating
Cooling
Not yet. Power is easy. Cooking is not too bad. A/c and heating is in the works as we speak. Water and waste are the tough ones for me. I can't decide how much I want it to be able to do given the fact that I will be towing a fully functioning kitchen trailer behind it. I'm thinking a small microwave would be enough for the cooking part. Just something to heat things up with when I'm on the road and not ready to set up the MKT. I'm open to suggestions.... That's why I posted it on here. No better place to get some good ideas. :razz:

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Layout has alot to do with personal preference, intended use and of course available space. If I was shorter I would have put my bed width wise at the front of the box, but being 6'4" I simply had to go length wise. If you are going to have a kitchen trailer, then you might just want a small sink for washing up and a microwave inside. Do you have plans to add a shower and/or toilet?

rwbrown72

I enjoy watching the other builds too, so I will keep the project documented. I have been thinking a lot about layout. I am thinking just a microwave for cooking because of the kitchen trailer. I'm 5'11 and 9/16th, so I will go side to side on the bed. Outside plug on for power is a given. Fridge and freezer are more important and will take up more room. Probably go with a 110 version of each. That is about all the planning I have so far. I'm reading the other threads now too.

Danger Ranger

Plow, or "cow" catcher? (Fell free to replace "cow" with word(s) of choice):shock:

Subscribed, and wondering, what you might do to make yours stand out. I enjoy spotting differences between many of these great conversions.

rwbrown72

Got the windows sorta done. A few little things left to do. I'm thinking about making an insulated insert for the windows.... not sure about that one yet. I've got a few more mechanical things to sort out and then the paint goes on. I'm going to upset some folks with the paint... I already know it. You'll just have to wait and see! Here are some photos of the work for today. The black panel is a replacement for the blackout screens. I made the first ones a little too long and will have to go and trim them up. No biggie. My good friend Wade (SS ID 802dot1q) came by the shop and we took a ride in the 109 after I finished up. It is really nice to be able to talk in the truck while it is running let alone going down the road. One thing is for sure, it will need an upgrade in the top speed department. 45 cruise is not going to get it done on my way down to Georgia. Thats it for now. Later all....:p

Attachments

chicklin

A stock deuce should be able to cruise comfortably at 52-55 mph. If 45 is your top speed, something is wrong.

Looking forward to seeing the progress. I love these camper conversion threads, too.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A stock deuce should be able to cruise comfortably at 52-55 mph. If 45 is your top speed, something is wrong.
It isn't a stock deuce, it is a M109, which means significantly more wind resistance and weight. I've seen many 109 owners complain that thier top speed was well under a stock M35's.

rwbrown72

Looking forward to seeing the progress. I love these camper conversion threads, too.
And it has an automatic transmission and 1400 tires. This is the A3 version of the 109. It will run 50 wide open, but cruises at 45. :shock:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks