• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101/02 trailers: I need to change the wheels and need the exact size

1stDeuce

All gm 8 lug wheels with 8 on 6.5" will fit. Actually, all 8 on 6.5 wheels will bolt up, and clear the hub. But the later gm wheels have backspacing that works better than anything else.

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All gm 8 lug wheels with 8 on 6.5" will fit. Actually, all 8 on 6.5 wheels will bolt up, and clear the hub. But the later gm wheels have backspacing that works netter than anything else.
I think I remember reading somewhere that I can swap in new brake drums (just the drums, no other changes) to make the axles 6-lug? It would be more convenient if it had the same pattern as my M1009 and 6-lug are more plentiful.

1stDeuce

You can, and the p/n's are in a thread about lowering the trailer IIRC. But backspacing of 6-bolt wheels that will fit over that hub is going to make them stick out farther than 8-lug GM wheels will by an inch or two per side, at least... And hanging tires an inch or two outside an already wide trailer isn't my idea of cool... You have to remember that the HMMWV wheels have REALLY deep backspacing, so the axle is really wide to account for it. Running wheels with less backspacing makes the trailer wider, or in the case of the GM wheels, which are also narrower, keeps it the same width. Aside from HMMWV wheels, there's nothing out there with deeper backspacing than the GM 8-lug truck wheels...

The 6-lug GM wheels with deep backspacing (from 4wd 1/2 ton trucks) have too small a bore to work with the trailer hubs, IIRC. (no first hand experience with the hub, but the center bore of those wheels is tiny...) Early IFS Toyota wheels have a bit more backspacing... And a larger center bore I think... They might work ok. All the others are going to hang the wheels outside the trailer by an inch or more.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about these?

16.5 8-lug dually wheels off 1970's Dodge motor home. They're cheap, but I'm not sure how common 16.5" tires are outside the military.

wheels.jpg

big block 88

Its a GM 8 bolt on 6.5 spacing wheel. There are literally MILLIONS out there. Very easy to find. As long as they are pre 2011 gm it will fit fine.

16.5 will greatly reduce your tire selection. KISS and get the GM wheel. Dodges are the same 8 on 6.5 also up to 2010 i believe.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up four of these complete with bald tires, center caps, and spiders for $100. They'll need some work and paint.

Will I be able to reuse the existing lug nuts with these wheels?Wheels2.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

big block 88

No you wont be able to use exsisting lugs... You couldnt find a plane old steel wheel? Its your trailer man and if you like them thats what matters not my taste in a wheel or military look but that doesnt matter if you like them.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing that doesn't involve a two hour drive each way. Living out this far makes it difficult; you have to take what's local. What's wrong with the aluminum wheels?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent a couple hours taking the big 37s off the trailer and test fitting my aluminum mag wheels. They fit perfectly! The tire is centered underneath with no tire sticking out. The stock lugnuts fit, sorta. The socket gets down into the holes (on all but one of the lugs) but the socket OD rubs the hole's ID. Too close for comfort so I would like to get some proper nuts.

Ignore the overspray on the tires; those are coming off.

Does anyone know the thread pitch on these?

Attachments

tobyS

Did Budman (the OP in Illinois) ever find his wheels? I have several that I would gladly trade for his HMMWV wheels (from Ford 1 ton van). The HMMWV wheels fit my Dexter axles (modified for the larger backspace). I want the larger size.

Attachments

Last edited:

maxtor

To bad you are so far away. I have four 37x12.5 humvee tires and wheels, that I pulled off our two M116a3 trailers. No way at my age I could change a flat tire. If one of them fell over, that would be it. They must weigh a hundred pounds.
I altered one of the M116a3 trailers to pull behind our Jeep.

Attachments

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tires are on!

Michellin LTX M/S LT265/75R16 tires that were free from behind the tire shop. Load range E too, so good for over 3400# each. The previous owner ran them under-inflated; you can see it in the pictures.

They don't stick out to the side, and aren't sucked into the wheel well either. These wheels are perfect for this trailer. If anyone cares I'll look for the numbers on the inside of the wheel. I still have two more so I'll be cleaning and painting one of them for a spare. I have another tire (different tire in even better condition) of the same size for the spare.

EDIT to add: I'll report back after I take it for a road test.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I run those on one of my trucks and they are great! Michelin A/Ts on the rest.
Have a set on my green M101A2 now.
Quiet, great traction, very long wearing.

I run Michelin on everything I own. All E rated.
Exception being on my tan M101A2 Installed used set of BF Goodrich All Terrains from truck I swapped to michelins.
M1008A1 still wearing Uncle Sam tires.

Looks like you scored big time!!
Lots of tread left.
They will last a long time on that trailer.

What PSI are you running?

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lots of tread left.
The guy at the tire shop laughed at me when I asked if I could have a couple tires from their cast-off rack in back. Said he wouldn't use any of the tires for anything, even a trailer. I wheeled the tire in, and he said the same. I looked it over carefully and it looked good to me. Back in the early 80s I was a young (poor) airman and whenever I needed tires I'd drive up behind the Firestone after they closed and pick out four 'good' ones. Mount and balance at the auto hobby shop on base.

What PSI are you running?
I run all my radials at 5psi over the recommended. So if the sidewall says 35psi I pump them to 40.

NEIOWA

Are all the M1101 wheel/tires have runflat (as HMMWV). If not how tell with/without?

Any "going" price for takeoffs? Fire Dept has M1101 trailers converting to Chevy 8bolt wheels and now have surplus near new wheel/tires. We need the $ for other projects so what the market will bear.

tobyS

Are all the M1101 wheel/tires have runflat (as HMMWV). If not how tell with/without?

Any "going" price for takeoffs? Fire Dept has M1101 trailers converting to Chevy 8bolt wheels and now have surplus near new wheel/tires. We need the $ for other projects so what the market will bear.
Probably by weight or let out the air and see if it collapses down.

I can use the take offs for a trailer, but not flush with money. PM me with the bottom line price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks