• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 spare tire carrier and other mods

Jim Dow

Trailer REAR.jpgTrailer FRONT.jpgBunks.jpgHere's the pictures of the present state (2/10/15) of the M1101 trailer. I just finished mounting a HMMWV bumper &

Rhino spare tire carrier to my M1101 trailer.No holes drilled in trailer and no welds.

Next, there will be a front rack for a small generator. Goal: Hunting/Fishing/Camping trailer

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Dow

Just to clear up any immediate confusion about the 6" tubes mounted below the bumper & towbar.
Those are for storing fly rods; so they don't get stepped on and broken around camp.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Jim how is the bumper/tire carrier attached, any close up pictures of the mounting points?

Last edited:

KansasBobcat

Nicely done! I bet you have more invested in airlift bumper and Rhino tire carrier than M1101! I just did installation of Rhino; was quick and easy on my old H1. I waiting for someone to steal the neat wrench. May need to put lock on it

Jim Dow

M1101 Conversion

Nicely done! I bet you have more invested in airlift bumper and Rhino tire carrier than M1101! I just did installation of Rhino; was quick and easy on my old H1. I waiting for someone to steal the neat wrench. May need to put lock on it
You've got that right. The bumper/Rhino/installation set me back about $1000 while I only have $800 in the trailer.
But, I can't even pick up that tire by myself; and where I am going, I'll need a spare tire - and storage space.
The trailer now sleeps 4 with bunks.

Jim Dow

M1101 HMMWV Bumper Connection Details

Jim how is the bumper/tire carrier attached, any close up pictures of the mounting points?
I used a standard heavy duty trailer hitch (plate) and attached a 1/2" plate to handle the offset to the pre-drilled holes in the NMMWV bumper (both sides).
The bumper/plate was lowered to mate with the second hole (down) on the hitch to allow the trailer tailgate to open fully.

Attachments

Jim Dow

The bumper and Rhino spare tire carrier were purchased from eBay. Bumper cost about $200 (including shipping); Rhino cost about $650 (including shipping). Installation cost about $450 (including parts & machining).

KansasBobcat

I really like the Rhino carrier. Well made and sturdy.. It is easy to operate and installs with 6 machine screws and lock nuts which came with the carrier and good instructions. Only challenge was getting 2 of the holes in bumper mounts to line up. Rat tail file to the rescue! I got mine from HDPS Co. I agree with Jim's cost on parts.

Jim Dow

Next, I will be adding a rack over the tongue of the trailer for generator, gas can, water storage, LP gas, and coolers. I'll probably start that next week.
I have already put together the inside of the trailer to handle two bunks (two cots each), a coat closet, and storage - see pic.

Attachments

Jim Dow

Change of weight bias - M1101

Very nice! Does it change the weight bias very much?
No, the trailer still pulls like the extra weight wasn't even there.
The bumper plus Rhino spare tire carrier w/tire added about 350lbs to the rear of the trailer; but the interior plywood w/cots added about 200 lbs spread evenly throughout the trailer.
The extra 150 lbs on the rear didn't change anything in terms of towing.

However, I'll be adding about another 350 lbs to the front part of the trailer when I add a storage rack (200 lbs of steel) and a 150 lb generator - up front.
About 200 lbs will be added (again) when I install two 6-volt AGM golf cart batteries. This will be added on the interior of the trailer - ahead of the axle.
Then there's about 15 gallons of water that will be added later to the storage rack up front.

Right now, I think that the weight will be distributed reasonably well.

Jim Dow

Aarons Trailer.jpgJims Trailer 021515.jpg
I purchased the bumper and Rhino spare tire carrier on eBay.

This past weekend, I added a gun cabinet/closet and mosquito netting - see picture.

Also, a friend of mine is almost complete with his build using a foldout tent - see picture. He also changed out the tires to the smaller Dodge tires so he would not have to carry a spare tire.

sgthawk

Jim thanks for the idea. I have been thinking of how to mount my spare tire and this is the best idea I have seen. It's a little pricey but it's clean. I ordered my parts last night from eBay so hopefully they will come in next week. I'm really interested on how you are going to install the front rack for your generator and misc gear. Keep the pictures coming. I'll post some pictures once my parts come in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks