• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 spare tire carrier and other mods

GIJoey

Wonderful work Jim. Exactly what a wan to do. I don't want to ruin in any way the trailer in its original state. I wonder if I could make 2 sets of bunks.

where did you get those cots?

Jim Dow

Thanks - I'm glad you like it.
Yes, don't ruin the trailer by drilling/welding. I accomplished my build-out without drilling any new holes in the trailer and without adding any new welds to the original trailer. Everything was done by changing the lengths of some bolts and adding trailer hitches to the lifting lugs. I did have to grind down the welds inside the lifting lug tubes; but that worked out fine.
I built the top of the storage area (under the cots) on top of the trailer edges and tailgate. The cots are "Disc-O-Bunks" from Cabelas. There are two sets of bunks; but the top bunks are too tall to be comfortable - unless I raise the canvas top several inches. If you build out your bunks with the lower bunk below the top edge of the trailer, you will be fine.
I've got plenty of storage and two cots now. The kids will just have to sleep in a tent for now.
The two vertical water tubes mounted on the front rack hold about 13 gals of water; and that has turned out to be a good thing. Taller tubes would mean more water.
I've got two 115V circuits with 4 outlets - power distribution mounted on the closet/gun rack.
I've got six 12V circuits for LED lights; and the generator (electric start Honda 3000si) is tied directly to the battery up front for direct charging of the battery. The Honda generator is mounted using vibration isolators; so the trailer gets very little vibration. The generator is super quiet.

Enjoy your trailer. I'm going drift fishing for trout in Tennessee this next weekend - camping with the trailer.
Check out my eBooks on Amazon. I write eBooks about my adventures. Just search "books" for James W. Dow (author). I'm in the process of writing an eBook about the trailer build-out.

Jim Dow

HR Campsite-2.jpgHRFishing-1.jpgHR Campsite.jpgWell, a buddy of mine and I took the trailer on a camping/drift fishing trip on the Holston River in TN.
Here's some pictures.
The trailer pulled just fine; and we had a great trip.

Jim Dow

That's a tire, filled with concrete, that serves as an anchor on shore where we pull in under a shade tree to eat lunch. Great place to take a break from catching trout.

Jim Dow

IMG_20150602_133122755.jpgYep! And there were even a few mild rapids to negotiate just to make the trip even more interesting. Those trout really like the rough water. It's like a conveyor belt for bringing food downstream to the fish.
If you would like to schedule a trip, just call Rocky at Rockytop Anglers (865) 388-9802.

Jim Dow

Cover.jpgAt this point in time, I have only just published the ebook on Amazon. Over the next few days, I plan to publish the ebook again on Smashwords; and at that time, there will be a pdf, iBooks, NOOK, and other versions that should meet every need - that is, all ebook reader software will be accounted for. The ebook will be available for all Windows/Android/Apple smartphones & tablets.

I hope you will enjoy the ebook.

Jim Dow

HR Campsite-2.jpgHR Campsite.jpgIn my earlier post I forgot to mention that you can go to Amazon.com and download the FREE Kindle app to your iPhone and/or iPad. When you purchase the ebook, delivery will be directed to your iPhone/iPad automatically; and you can enjoy the ebook NOW.

Jim Dow

Take a look at the ebook. It's got all the pictures, materials, sources for materials, etc. I tried my best to do a good job.
Go to Amazon.com/books and search for "James W. Dow" or "Where's Jim & Ed? Bugging Out - M1101" and you should find the ebook.

Tell all your friends!

Enjoy!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks