• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 tongue modification and height adjustable

It is much easier to design a pressurized hydraulic system to keep water out then it is to keep an electrical gizmo dry under 4' of water.
That reminds me of the time I was not taking it slow and steady getting the go pro ready for a dive. I was more concerned about not sticking myself or anyone else with a pole spear. I noticed as I hit maybe 6 feet down the camera housing started filling with saltwater thanks to a little thread that was caught in the gasket.

Joneswill

M1101 tongue modification and height adjustable and LINE-X

Hello everyone I ran into a problem I'm sure many of you had before. My M1101 was way too high for my truck and I didn't want one of those large plate receivers so I basically removed the entire pintle and surge break setup and welded on an adjustable height mounting hitch that can accept pintle or ball. I have attached some pictures as well.
Parts cost me $80 and I did the welding myself.

View attachment 563365View attachment 563366View attachment 563367
Did you weld the aluminum tongue or install a metal tube steel?

NEIOWA

What's the minimum stopping distance with the trailer brakes intact, from 85mph?

What's the minimum stopping distance from 85mph with the trailer brakes disabled?
….
You're TOWING at 85mph? ANY trailer? A mil surplus offroad trailer? wow. just wow.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're TOWING at 85mph? ANY trailer? A mil surplus offroad trailer? wow. just wow.
My example was intended to be worst case but still legal. Several places on I 20 in TX have 85mph speed limits and don't exclude towing. (And yes, you see the geezers with diesel pickup trucks pulling 30,000lb RVs @ >85mph.)

tobyS

I'm with the majority about keeping brakes. To go lower, I use 16" trailerwheels and made this modification to the hitch portion. I put a bolt so I have a lockout. I know they are free backing but the internals of my brake unit were bent, indicating a really hard stop. You can barely seethe bolt in pic2.

The trailer is now a welding trailer. It has a set of torches with 2 sets of bottles and soon to have the Hobart welder set in place. It was so beat up that they sold it dirt cheap (some time ago). Literally every corner was bent. I straightened and made it for setting a 788 box on....and then changed to welding trailer.

Note that if you think this AL tongue is 3"....it is not. I had to sandwich in 1-2 shim plates about 1/16" for the brake unit to fit snug on a 3" heavy tube. Don't think you will tighten it down without shims, because it will break the cast steel sides.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks