• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 Purchase and Build Thread - Virginia

MaverickH1

The pups went for their first ride today. It was a little cold so the lab ended up coming into the front to be a little warmer. :)

For reference, that's a 100 lb German Shepherd and a 70 lb black lab mix.

Also, I noticed while watching Mad Max: Fury Road last night that a HMMWV is in that movie. So I found out that I officially own a Mad Max vehicle! :lol:

17.jpg 16.jpg 18.jpg

MaverickH1

I ended up calling the Georgia DMV to see if they had any record of the title or could give me any update. Normally, DMVs only talk to you about your stuff, so I fully expected them to completely blow me off since GovPlanet is the only name on the title.

After starting at caller #26 in the que and being on the phone for 40 minutes through 2 meetings at work, they finally answered and DID tell me that the title was sent out on Wednesday, 1/11! She confirmed that it is an unrestricted title.

So it looks like it will be happening soon.

We'll see!

MaverickH1

Updating both threads:

Every single glow plug from this truck failed the continuity tests. Completely open circuit on every one of them. I thought I was testing them incorrectly until I went and got the other 8 new plugs (I bought 16 new ones to have more on hand) and they tested perfectly.

MaverickH1

Received the GA title today and headed to the DMV immediately to get plates.

It started off smoothly. Then the "different" things started to come up. Like the VIN being 6 digits, etc. The person behind the desk quickly went out of view to talk to a manager. She came back and said that she will have to scan all documents and send them to the Virginia DMV headquarters in Richmond for review.

They will call me with a verdict. I was not allowed to speak to the person who would be doing the reviewing, but they have my number.

So after verifying with the Virginia DMV headquarters AND the local Roanoke DMV that I would be good to go if I walked in with a clean title before I even purchased the vehicle, they have changed that. Hopefully the DMV headquarters will look it over and verify there is no "Off Road Use Only" and approve it.

They asked for my SF97. I told them I don't need one because I had a clear title in front of them. They said that since it was a GovPlanet truck they needed to see the SF97. I provided an electronic version of the SF97 I was sent from GovPlanet when we first thought they couldn't get me a GA title, so they are reviewing that too.

I just want to be excited about this **** truck instead of worried about it. I thought that was ending today. :( Hopefully I'll get a positive answer soon...

MaverickH1

Just do not make a big deal about this. Generally being remembered at a DMV is a bad thing.
haha!

I pled my case and gave background info and explained everything just enough so I knew they understood it, but they were determined to push it to headquarters. I stayed nice, and openly admitted to being nervous and frustrated, which they also understood. I was happy with how I was treated and thanked them and we all are hoping for good news. I just wish the initial verdict was different.

Hopefully there's just a littttttllle more waiting. :)

Lionel

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had a similar experience with my clear PA titled 998. Went on a Friday to a small DMV office in MD., the 6 digit VIN didn't phase them, said I needed to physically present the vehicle to the State police at the main MVA HQ for a number inspection, BUT only because there was a trailer registered with the same 6 numbers years ago and they needed to verify it was a vehicle and not a trailer. The following Friday I met the seller there with the truck at HQ, but figured I'd let them tell me the same thing there. Was in and out with tags in less than 30 minutes. The counter person never gave the 6 digit VIN a second look or even mentioned the trailer.

MaverickH1

Initial communication from the VA DMV in the form of a voicemail is that they will only title it for Off Road Use Only, completely reversing their word from before the vehicle was purchased.

Last edited:

Lowmaks

I think he said he has a clean title with no "off road use only" designation, but they still won't budge on registration. Unless I'm reading it wrong...which is likely since I'm an MM lol.

Mjvaden

GA will not tag it unless you are a GA resident.

That really sucks. The thing is these trucks from the Marine corps even though they are essentially the same Vehicle, do not have the BS off road exemption. The VA people are interpreting this incorrectly. I would call your congressman and arrange a meeting with him. As petty as it sounds it is important to you and this is what they are hear for to represent you. I have called on mine several times on different issues and they have never let me down.

MaverickH1

Update: I decided to try to use their incompetence against them, so I went to another office to tag/title. That was successful.

However, while waiting the Roanoke office called me back with answers from the Richmond titling supervisor. She stated that if the vehicle does not have a FMVSS sticker on it, they will not title or plate it for on-road use. When I asked which part of Virginia Code specifies that, I wasn't given an answer. I was told to send a picture of the data plates, which I have not done and likely will not do.

After that conversation, I got ANOTHER call that said that the Virginia DMV was in the process of REVOKING ALL HMMWV PLATES for the same reason, and that their website will show that change sometime soon.

I will keep everyone updated, perhaps I should start another thread specific to this, I'm not sure.

I've already contacted my congressman's aid and they will be talking about this later today. A search of the VA Code only brings up the FMVSS for conversion of an off-road motorcycle to an on-road motorcycle, I have found no other reference to it.

Sintorion

I think there is a lot of confusion in several state motor vehicle departments. Hopefully we can approach this in the correct way to our public officials better educated on this issue. We are tax payers after all.

In this case, if you import a vehicle there is no FMVSS sticker on an imported car.

ryanruck

Update: I decided to try to use their incompetence against them, so I went to another office to tag/title. That was successful.

However, while waiting the Roanoke office called me back with answers from the Richmond titling supervisor. She stated that if the vehicle does not have a FMVSS sticker on it, they will not title or plate it for on-road use. When I asked which part of Virginia Code specifies that, I wasn't given an answer. I was told to send a picture of the data plates, which I have not done and likely will not do.

After that conversation, I got ANOTHER call that said that the Virginia DMV was in the process of REVOKING ALL HMMWV PLATES for the same reason, and that their website will show that change sometime soon.

I will keep everyone updated, perhaps I should start another thread specific to this, I'm not sure.

I've already contacted my congressman's aid and they will be talking about this later today. A search of the VA Code only brings up the FMVSS for conversion of an off-road motorcycle to an on-road motorcycle, I have found no other reference to it.
It sounds like you're on it with your local rep. I suggest downloading this PDF cwc posted and presenting the information in it to your rep for supporting evidence.

There are plenty of letters/memos that state 1) the HMMWV is considered a "motor vehicle" by the NHTSA designed to operate on primary and secondary roads 60% of the time (by AMG's admission), 2) former military vehicles are exempt from FMVSS and subsequent buyers of them are as well, 3) military vehicles are constructed to MIL-STD-1180B safety standards which are designed to be equivalent to FMVSS standards 4) an off road brand on title by a seller is meaningless in the eyes of the NHTSA.

Not knowing VA, I'd also try to find out if there are Deuces and 5 tons privately plated and operating on VA roads. If so, why since they do not have FMVSS compliance stickers?

Good luck!

Mjvaden

Some Fellows here on SS got with the state of Georgia and were able to get a comer military vehicle act passed in Georgia which has been very helpful.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Show me how a 92-93 Hummer H1 is any different then a HMMWV. Other then maybe the steering column.
show me how a 41 slat grill or M35a2 is more safe or roadworthy then a HMMWV.
the entire thing is total BS. It's now starting to happen in calif, they are referring you to Calif air resources board....that's the kiss of death. There needs to be a national movement to get FMV's exempted...but only to a certain degree IMO.
im a purest, so keeping the trucks as they were issued would be a requirement. Not a lifted, Cummings equipped rock crawler....I for forget what state it is, but HMV's don't neeed to even mount there license plates, only required to have them in case asked by LE. These are IMO, historical vehicles, they were used to by the men and woman of this country to defend this country, this should not be taken lightly, for to long the govt would just destroy the very tools that made this country great, the aftermath of ww2 is a good example, just look at the number of flying WW2 acft, the numbers are dwindling yearly due to crashes. Maybe not in your lifetime, nor mine, perhaps not even my sons...but you have to look father down the line then that.

jeffy777

Show me how a 92-93 Hummer H1 is any different then a HMMWV. Other then maybe the steering column.
show me how a 41 slat grill or M35a2 is more safe or roadworthy then a HMMWV.
the entire thing is total BS. It's now starting to happen in calif, they are referring you to Calif air resources board....that's the kiss of death. There needs to be a national movement to get FMV's exempted...but only to a certain degree IMO.
im a purest, so keeping the trucks as they were issued would be a requirement. Not a lifted, Cummings equipped rock crawler....I for forget what state it is, but HMV's don't neeed to even mount there license plates, only required to have them in case asked by LE. These are IMO, historical vehicles, they were used to by the men and woman of this country to defend this country, this should not be taken lightly, for to long the govt would just destroy the very tools that made this country great, the aftermath of ww2 is a good example, just look at the number of flying WW2 acft, the numbers are dwindling yearly due to crashes. Maybe not in your lifetime, nor mine, perhaps not even my sons...but you have to look father down the line then that.
Amen... brother. I think we have the right to own and drive these vehicles. It is nothing different than a H1.

I don't want to make any changes to mine other than mechanical to make it work correctly. Mine served this country in Iraq and came home. I would like people to see it mostly how it was in service. I love using mine and driving it and getting the head turns.

But I respect every ones right to do what they want with their property. That is why they built the vehicle in the first place, to assist in keeping our rights. (At least that what the posters claimed) ;)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks