• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 Purchase Experience

BadRobot

Did anyone purchase HMMWV M1123 from GL? I saw GL listed as daily deal. I have a couple questions since I am considering to purchase one. May be GP representative here can clarify for me.

1. Should it subject to 10% fee as other regular auction items?
2. X-doors in 4-man configuration are fiberglass reinforcement or original steel doors?
3. Is the engine in M1123 6.5L turbo engine (optimizer)?
4. Does it come with winch?
5. Does the Red Dot AC unit have front vents for front row passenger/driver? I saw vents to rear seats.
6. Is it steel legal or off-road only?
7. 3 stars items rating as others HMMWV. Why is it more expensive than others? Or because it is M1123 instead of M998/M1038 and later year?
8. Is it ready for use?

Anything should I look for before committing?

Thanks,

Action

I am not with GP, but the 4-door with the x-doors. Those are standard "fiberglass" door. The 2-door version look like thin aluminum doors. They are using the soft door hinges with only two bolts holding them to the door, so may get out of alignment easier.

tage

1) yes
2) fiberglass
3)should be with a 4 speed
4)depends
5)yes
6)Street legal is up to the state. It does not come with a off road stamp on the SF97 that the other hmmwv's come with If that means anything to you. I would question if the SF97 is going to be in your name though.
7)ECV truck.
8 ) depends what's wrong with it....

springbok

Well out of the first 3, one got no bids and the other two did not meet their reserve price.
This is not ebay, why are they doing this reserve BS ?
Set a starting price you will take for the item and move on. Not that everyone knows that the reserve is 40K or over I bet not one of them sells..

04mustang

From what I gather those trucks are not coming from the army, they are usmc trucks and belong to a private party that is listing them through GP. So they can do a reserve price.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well out of the first 3, one got no bids and the other two did not meet their reserve price.
This is not ebay, why are they doing this reserve BS ?
Set a starting price you will take for the item and move on. Not that everyone knows that the reserve is 40K or over I bet not one of them sells..
Anybody that's been around auctions for a while knows a high minimum will scare away bidders , however a low minimum and a reserve will get people bidding and often bring a higher price than if it had a high minimum bid. It's called marketing and that's what GP/Iron planet does.

camoyj7

Just got a call from Government planet. They told me the m1123s can come with on road titles from Georgia. I asked about the non factory looking top and doors. They said it was built by the military. I don't know if I believe that.

ClarkeF

those are not ECV's - the motor will be a 6.5 NA, not a turbo based on the engine cover and does not have the extended nose and cooling stack.
They are A2 trucks: 4-speed with park and OD, upgraded parking brakes, 10k weight rating, high back seats - standard stuff.
The doors are standard frag protection X-doors or a version of "hard door" that I've seen a couple times that is based on the soft door setup.

They are more expensive because they are basically new A2 series trucks, in an unusual configuration (hard tops and AC) where less than a handful of A2's have come out through GP before. They are rare in otherwords..

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just got a call from Government planet. They told me the m1123s can come with on road titles from Georgia. I asked about the non factory looking top and doors. They said it was built by the military. I don't know if I believe that.
They call me occasionally too. I guess I'm keeping too many on my watch list. I'm really just trying to track sale prices so I can learn about what to look for.

"Built by the military". That's funny GP, a military truck that is built by the military... The military doesn't build anything. "Specified and purchased" by the military is more like it. Oh well, we all know what they mean.

For the OP, if you post a bunch of photos similar to what they do for the auctions, we could all "help" you set a better price. It would be fun anyway.

kfrosty

I'm pretty sure the guy selling these is on Steel Soldiers. If so he's a good guy. Look in the classifieds. He sells the door latch kits. Also, on ebay he has the ecv hood and parts for sale. (I can't recall his SS username or I'd share.)

I think he is actually making the fiberglass tops on those. (Again if we're talking about the same ones.)

BadRobot

If you go to GP and search for M1123. It will show one with 2005 M1123 with 2469 miles. I don't think its engine is 6.5L Turbo engine.

This is my take. If a M1123 sell for $45,000, then the final price will be $45,000 + 4,500 fee and GA sale tax. The final price will be above $50K. It has no warranty and I don't think you can even finance it. If I would look at 2017 Ford Raptor which will cost the same or a little bit more. But it came with 3 years or 36,000 miles. It can be financed. It is street legal and go fast. It let me think twice.

Last edited:

gem1410

These are owned by gov-planet or were owned --They bought a load from the Marines on a private sale--I was told this by a gp sales rep in the new sales dept--You can call the sales guys up and make offers over the phone--if the offer is high enough you get it and the sale page will say :Won using buy it now price:

Last edited:

camoyj7

Looks like they are being built by Black Dog Customs. You can see the same ones they built on Gov Planet. The tan four door has pass side headlight out on their pictures as well as Govplanet's.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like they are being built by Black Dog Customs. You can see the same ones they built on Gov Planet. The tan four door has pass side headlight out on their pictures as well as Govplanet's.
Yeah, I couldn't believe it when I saw a burned out headlight showing on a truck with a $45K asking price!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Once again, they are worth what someone will pay for them....why does everyone want to b***h about the prices...don't buy one.....just because it's out of your price range does not make it "not worth the price" it's listed for.
i build these trucks from the frame rails up....I know what they cost to build. 99% of folks can't or don't have the resources to build that same truck as it is equipped...but if you did, you are pretty **** close to asking, if not spot on.
i don't look at a car on a dealer lot that's 100k and then flip the dealership a load to somehow make him think he will lower the price just for my budget....the price is the price, move on.

im in the middle of a 150k build right now....is it worth it? It is for this customer, cuz that is what he wants....so it all relative.

dk8019

So with these trucks, they originate from the Marines, who buy them from AMG, correct? When we say they are "built" by Black Dog Customs, what does that even mean? Does Black Dog buy them surplus, completely cut them up, and then rebuild them from the ground up?

Last edited by a moderator:

dilvoy

I think those hard tops, both two man and four man that are on these M1123's were made by a company called "MAK".

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks