• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 Radio mounting rack

aghumvee

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

blutow

Thank you 86humv! Got my radio tray painted and installed!
Looks great. What paint did you use? I need to touch up some stuff and hoping to find something easy in a spray can. I've read that the rapco stuff is a decent match for 383 green, but a bit more glossy compared to original carc. Probably close enough for me.

For what it's worth, I tried the rustoleum camo paint as a test. They have a couple greens that are too bright and too dark, so no dice there. Their camo black is a great match though, noticeably flatter than a typical matte black and a good match for the carc.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. What paint did you use? I need to touch up some stuff and hoping to find something easy in a spray can. I've read that the rapco stuff is a decent match for 383 green, but a bit more glossy compared to original carc. Probably close enough for me.

For what it's worth, I tried the rustoleum camo paint as a test. They have a couple greens that are too bright and too dark, so no dice there. Their camo black is a great match though, noticeably flatter than a typical matte black and a good match for the carc.
Thank you! This is the place I bought my paint from. The colors are spot on! I've touched up my truck and you can't tell a difference and price wasn't to bad.

blutow

Thank you! This is the place I bought my paint from. The colors are spot on! I've touched up my truck and you can't tell a difference and price wasn't to bad.

Thanks. for the spray paint, do you remember what color you ordered? Their options are confusing (I think some labeling mistakes). They list 383 as a carc brown, which I don't think is right. I don't see a 383 green listed under the spary paints. The gallons make sense.
1647363633749.png

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here's the three you need.View attachment 861565
They have good paint and the rattle cans have done an amazing job for me.

I have done several touch-ups on my M1089 and M1088 and they are 5 years apart. After a few rains and a little sunshine you can't really pick out the "factory carc" from the RAPCO rattle can repairs that I have done.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I have done several touch-ups on my M1089 and M1088 and they are 5 years apart. After a few rains and a little sunshine you can't really pick out the "factory carc" from the RAPCO rattle can repairs that I have done.
I use a 3M scruff pad after I paint it and let it dry and it matches perfect.

blutow

Is Rapco and "quarter ton parts" selling the same paint or is it different? Rapco is a little cheaper, but not enough to matter much if one vendor is better than the other. Both good vendors with same paint?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter

There is a whole paint and restoration forum on steel soldiers. Also you can get Behr paint codes in that same forum where the colors match up well.

blutow

There is a whole paint and restoration forum on steel soldiers. Also you can get Behr paint codes in that same forum where the colors match up well.
I've spent some time looking through that, lots of info (so much it's kind of confusing to me). If I was going to do the entire truck, I'd probably go with the behr latex, but I plan to keep the original carc and I just need some touch up spray (mostly for interior stuff). I figured the rapco stuff is probably fine for what I'm doing, I'm not trying to create a museum piece.

Mattguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is Rapco and "quarter ton parts" selling the same paint or is it different? Rapco is a little cheaper, but not enough to matter much if one vendor is better than the other. Both good vendors with same paint?
Wow, it is cheaper at Rapco. I just looked up the paint codes online and found quarter ton. I know you can use behr latex paint from Home Depot, but I'd rather use enamel. It holds up much better on metal.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks