• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 New Owner Newbie Questions

1Louder

I just picked up a slightly modified M116A3. The tongue has been modified to just accept a 2" receiver. No more pintel, brakes, etc. That is a good thing for me. I am going to use a Max Coupler with this trailer. I am planning on building a 32" high box on the platform and use this as an off road trailer with an RTT on top. It will be pulled behind a Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Now to the questions:
1. Has anyone replaced the hubs on the A3 so put the style of rims they wanted to match their vehicle? FJ is 6 bolt pattern.

2. Has anyone put electric brakes on their A3.

3. Would have have to convert to a straight axel in order to do all of this?

When I have something worth showing I will post some build pictures. All wiring was removed so I have to start with the basics on that as well. I read through a bunch of threads and never came across anything on a hub conversion. Sorry if I missed it.

Thanks,
Chris

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a search online for "Trailer 12"x2" hub drum kit electric brakes 5200 # axle 6 on 5.5"

I would try to keep the original trailer axle, mainly because of its extra-width: 74" between wheel mounting surfaces!
It should not be too difficult to adapt such a kit, using the correct bearings/seals. The stock spindles are Ø1-3/4"/Ø1-5/16", respectively. Stock brakes are 12"x2".

G.

1Louder

Thank you both for the replies. There is a great trailer shop near me and I plan to take the trailer there to seek additional advice. I also wanted to hear what others have done prior to that visit. It sounds like if I want to go this route I should do an entire axle swap based on what I read in the thread link that John provided.

"ordering a custom trailer axle is easy. They need to know what weight range axle you want, the hub face to hub face measurement, and what the spring center distance is. You can order them bare, with brakes, etc. I am pretty sure that the factory A2 axle was 62" hub face and 43.25" spring center.

I highly recommend the extra ten bucks for EZ Lube spindles - well worth it.

The 5.2K and 6K axles share the tube thickness; 6K and 7K have the same bearings but the 7K has a heavier axle tube. I used a 5.2k axle, plenty of beef for my application.

heck, a 3.5K braked axle with five or six lug wheels would probably work for most applications."

John Galt

Unless you are wanting to get a 5 or 6 lug hub, I would just replace with a 7K axle. These trailers can handle up to 3K payload plus the 1.5K of trailer so I would not go smaller than 5.2K axle.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The advice here is tops (Posts 2 & 3), and they are not trying to sell anything. Trailer shops are biased, in that their main goal is to sell stuff, so they can stay in business. The A3 is considered to be a Dream trailer, in that you can't make it any better, only cobble it.

Another Ahab

I just picked up a slightly modified M116A3.

When I have something worth showing I will post some build pictures.

Chris
Welcome to you , from out East here in Virginia.

ANY picture's a good picture. Send us a "Before" shot, and the "After" shots will follow of course.

Because we just want to see what you got

What is it?.jpg

1Louder

Unless you are wanting to get a 5 or 6 lug hub, I would just replace with a 7K axle. These trailers can handle up to 3K payload plus the 1.5K of trailer so I would not go smaller than 5.2K axle.
Yes, I want to put FJ Rims (6 lug) with electric brakes eventually.

1Louder

The advice here is tops (Posts 2 & 3), and they are not trying to sell anything. Trailer shops are biased, in that their main goal is to sell stuff, so they can stay in business. The A3 is considered to be a Dream trailer, in that you can't make it any better, only cobble it.
I hear what you are saying. I would trust the advice from the shop I am going to. Whether I chose to make the change is up to me. The trailer has very basic road tires on it currently and no spare. No brakes and no electrical so I have a "basic" platform to build on. Adding a box to this trailer along with an RTT I would prefer to have some electric brakes. There may be a number of solutions to this problem and that is what I am trying to learn. I would like to make the wheels the same as my FJ.

Thanks

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That would cut your height WAY down, or are you planning on running it up-side-down?

I would run a straight axle. What vehicle are you towing it with? Unless its a hummer, I bet your truck axles would stop you before the trailer would.

1Louder

That would cut your height WAY down, or are you planning on running it up-side-down?

I would run a straight axle. What vehicle are you towing it with? Unless its a hummer, I bet your truck axles would stop you before the trailer would.
FJ Cruiser and I am building a box for the top of the trailer with a pull out kitchen, water tank, cargo area, and an RTT on top so a good deal of weight is being added. For off-roading I would like the back up of electric brakes. Hopefully that clarifies some things.

glassk

Welcome to you , from out East here in Virginia.

ANY picture's a good picture. Send us a "Before" shot, and the "After" shots will follow of course.

Because we just want to see what you got

View attachment 525827

First off it's an M116A1, I put a 4 inch drop with 6 on 5.5 hubs to lower it and match bolt pattern, I do have an M116A3 that I am putting the generator back on,

Attachments

Ripcord01

When you all are using the Rims to math the trucks are you wrapping them with trailer tires or just regular cheap o truck tires?
I ask because I would think this might be a safety concern if your going to do a lot of" wheeling" or trial rides with them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you all are using the Rims to math the trucks are you wrapping them with trailer tires or just regular cheap o truck tires?
I ask because I would think this might be a safety concern if your going to do a lot of" wheeling" or trial rides with them.
Interesting observation. FWIW the military has been using cheap o truck tires on trailers for years with some degree of success.

glassk

Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.

1Louder

First off it's an M116A1, I put a 4 inch drop with 6 on 5.5 hubs to lower it and match bolt pattern, I do have an M116A3 that I am putting the generator back on,
Did you DIY with on your trailer? Did you have to do any additional modifications to make it work. An estimate from my local trailer shop came back at $880 for an axle swap but I don't have the line item cost breakdown for that. I.E. How much of that is labor. I was guessing around $400 for a new axle and hubs.

Thanks
Chris

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks