• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M129a4

RAYZER

Has the floor been insulated?
I know on the a2 129 trailers the floors were board with steel runners between and not exactly thermally tight.
Looks like there's plenty of room underneath for tool boxes and tanks!
Here are some windows I like!uploadfromtaptalk1408704741561.jpg

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M129A4, but on the M126 chassis, so it has regular military 11.00x20 tires.

Mine is a 2009 build, never issued, still has the drill shavings on the floor from when the light fixtures were installed. Has all the tools in the tool box, still with labels, all manuals, including on a CD, were in the manual box on the wall.

The floors are oak, and don't appear insulated, but they are tight, and thick!

Cheers

Attachments

Csm Davis

I have an M129A4, but on the M126 chassis, so it has regular military 11.00x20 tires.

Mine is a 2009 build, never issued, still has the drill shavings on the floor from when the light fixtures were installed. Has all the tools in the tool box, still with labels, all manuals, including on a CD, were in the manual box on the wall.

The floors are oak, and don't appear insulated, but they are tight, and thick!

Cheers
Hey M813rc can you take some pictures of the inside of the door my latches have been robbed. Mine is a 2000 I wonder if they started using a whole length frame for a reason?

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here ya go Jeff. There is a wedge top and bottom, and two roller latches along the side. Shuts very firmly! If the pictures aren't clear enough (the site software greatly reduces the size, and thus quality), PM me an email and I'll send full size pictures. I zeroed in on the detail bits, so maybe they'll be okay.

From what I can tell, the M126 is a bit taller than the other chassis. I checked the manual before I went to pick mine up, height said 12+'. But it looked very tall to me when I hooked it up to the M931, so I took a tape to it. Actual measurement was 13'9" at the nose! It was a sweaty trip home (400 miles) with me carefully checking bridge height signs on the way. And yes, I did do a route check for low clearances on my way home before taking to the road, but I don't fully trust things not to have changed since the publish date.
Texas has a max legal height of 14'.

Check out the asset tag for the trailer. Good grief! Fortunately, I only paid 1/80th of its original purchase price, one of my better buys I think.

Cheers

Attachments

Csm Davis

Also I was reading the tm last night and looks like there is a roll of rubber that is to be glued in over the floors. I bet your original kingpin is up inside between the frame and the box. I bet that they flew yours somewhere and left the running gear behind and the airforce just stuck on whatever they could to get it out of the way.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're welcome. Let me know if you need more.

They apparently came in two types, with the M126 chassis or the civvie type chassis with the air brakes. From the paperwork, mine never left RRAD after being built. The box was built by Kalyn in Gatesville, and mated with a chassis at RRAD. Brand new tires, etc., still had hairs on the road contact area of the tread when I picked it up.

I missed the part in the book about the rubber mat.
The manual also says that the top corner lift rings are for the box only, and once the box is mounted to a chassis, must be removed to prevent them from being used to lift the complete assembly. I wondered where mine went!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I originally bought it to use as storage, but it turned out to be so darn nice, I feel that would be a waste. A couple of folks have asked to rent it as an apartment!
When I'm not showing it, I intend to use the TSS trailer as a 'clean' shop for electronics and such, so I don't need the 129 for that. For now, its just a pretty thing to tow in parades. :)

Cheers

Last edited:

Csm Davis

So how big of a porch do I need to park a 1008? Thinking like 16' I can have some overhang and still be legal. Any ideas on how to make the rear bumper/ramps? I am thinking to make a fold up section about 3' that after loading can be folded down for bumper use.

red

So how big of a porch do I need to park a 1008? Thinking like 16' I can have some overhang and still be legal. Any ideas on how to make the rear bumper/ramps? I am thinking to make a fold up section about 3' that after loading can be folded down for bumper use.
The 80's chevy pickups are 18ft long as a reg cab long bed, so 16ft for a porch should be fine length wise. For strength of the platform I'd extend the trailer frame and move the stock bumper back there. Maybe install a hinge mount for the bumper so if you go offroad at all you could pivot the bumper up and out of the way when needed.

Csm Davis

I got it at horror freight and it is 20', 50 bucks, comes with a nylon American flag, I have had mine in 40 miles an hour winds without problem

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks