• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135

IGWT

Hello everyone. I am new to the site, but not new to the love of military vehicles. After a long wait I am finally retrieving my grandfathers 1951 m135. It is about an hour and a half from me. It changed hands after his death 20 years ago and three years ago I found it. I have great memories of this truck growing up. I have yet to see one like it. I only have a few pics on this device, but will post more if anyone would like. Has anyone ever seen seen a excavator on the back of a 2 1/2 ton before?

Attachments

nattieleather

Wow congrats on finding your grandfathers truck. I think the excavator was put on the truck after it left the military. That truck looks like it has sat for some time so you have your work cut out making it drivable. Good luck and yes more pictures please.

YkDave

Yes, i would also say that it was added at a later date, if it was something the military had fitted, it would surely NOT be painted that color!

Looks like either the Box is mangled up badly, or its got some extensive structural damage...

IGWT

I knew it wasn't a military option. I have never seen another 6x6 with an excavator. I have seen other non military trucks from the 50's with similar set ups. It would look much better if it was green as well. The excavator is a Hopto Digger with an air cooled Wisconsin engine(with hand crank start, battery as well) running the hydraulics. The bed is bent down a bit on the driver rear. I hope it can be straightened. I would like to get the whole setup working again, if the bed is to bad I may just look into another one(If I can find one) and transfer the excavator or maybe not put it back on at all. The truck hasn't ran in over 8 years. The last thing working was the excavator which the owner used to push the truck where he wanted it, and that was 5 plus years ago. It currently sits with the boom and out riggers fully extended. I am a little concerned about getting it all to fold up for transport. I know I will have my hands full and if it did not have the sentimental value I would probably pass on it.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am a little concerned about getting it all to fold up for transport. I know I will have my hands full and if it did not have the sentimental value I would probably pass on it.
My pop is 86 last March 16th and his birth date was on a truck I found at a scrap yard. The truck is now a preserved M135. It's amazing what 'sentiment' can accomplish.

If your out-riggers and boom are hydraulic and if you can't get it running, would you be able to open fluid lines and squeeze them closed?

If you scan through the early deuce forum there are a few cranes on the ol' G749's.

Get er' out and get some pictures for us. Cool project.

IGWT

I was able to get out this weekend and cut away some trees and make the owner an offer. The lady wants $2000! I told her I was thinking more like $1000. We will see. Here are some more pictures and a video if I can get it to upload.

Attachments

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool. What is your intention if you get it?
Is the bed cut, or is this bolted in somehow?
Frame ok and just box sides bent down?

IGWT

I would like to get the whole thing working again. I want to paint it all solid OD. I want to restore it. Even though it was never a true military vehicle in that configuration I would like to make it appear like it was. The bed is not cut except for a few large bolts through it that are bent 90 degrees under the frame and welded to it. There are only a couple of inches between the wheel wells and where the excavator assembly slides in. It really is a neat set up. The motor, pump and controls are all packaged on the assembly. It appears by cutting 6 or 8 large bolts you could drive out from underneath the entire excavator assembly. The bent bed side does not appear to be bent from using the excavator. In the 70's the building that my Grandfather had it in collapsed on it. That may have happened then. With enough lifting power it looks like it would bend just about right back in to place. The frame really is not even rusty. Still painted black.

Last edited:

IGWT

I Paid for the m135 this weekend. I've got the cylinders of the excavator engine soaking with Marvel Mystery Oil. It is locked up at the moment. I hope to get that motor running well enough to fold up the hydraulics for transport. If not I will have to do it the hard way. Anyway I'm glad the truck is now mine and safe from being scrapped. I also got the original title for it still in my grandfathers name from 1973 bought at Sam Winers in Springfield Ohio.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good for you! When you turn the crank, do you get ANY movement?

Can you turn it backwards?

Last edited:

IGWT

No locked up solid both ways. It doesn't look promising, but I'm saying my prayers it will be freed up when I go back this weekend.

ducer

Be careful with that wisconcin engine. The valve stems on them like to rust and the valves will stick in the guides. When you go to crank it over once you get it to move it will rip the guides right out of the block (ask me how I know :doh:).
The valves are at the top of the cylinders remove all spark plugs and fill cylinders completely full of a 50/50 mix of kerosene and marvel mystery oil. Being that the engine is mounted you will probably be better off filling the intake and exhaust manifolds also so that the valves are sure to be submerged and be patient and wait for it all to work. This works about 1/2 the time. If you get the engine to move at all go slow and DO NOT FORCE IT OVER just work it back and forth slowly untill it finaly rolls over or you will rip the guides out or snap the cam shaft! For some reason those old Wisconcin engines would stick valves before ever sticking a piston to cylinder. Chances are very good you will end up having to remove a head to free the engine up be prepared to break at least 2 head studs. They are a he11 of a workhorse engine but do not like to sit around not running for long periods of time or with any moisture around. You can get parts for them but depending on what you need you will have to look around, flease-bay has a good selection and manuals are available in the world wide web.
Good luck,
Denny

IGWT

Thanks for the advice Denny. I will bring some kerosene along as well. I know those parts are not a dime a dozen. A little internet research confirms what you said. I won't push this thing to fast to free it up. It is not worth rushing and busting up more than I need to. I actually got an original manual for it with the truck so that will be helpful. It has lots of exploded parts views and part #'s.

waayfast

Congrats on the truck. And getting the title that is in your Grandad's name is priceless!!

My two cents worth----If the truck is a long way from home you may just want to fold/pickup everything manually and transport. Then things tend to go easier at home base while trying to free up engines and cylinders. This way you are not rushed for time and tempted to rush things that may come back to bite you.

Jim

Last edited:

ducer

Having the engine manual is a big help and half the battle right there. Just go slow, I used the kerosene and marvel trick just recently on a old Continental f162 and it works great I now have a good running 1956 terratrac 556 crawler with bucket loader. Too bad every piece of the hydraulic system is peeing fluid.aua

Denny