• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151 A2 broken lifter...Help

rickf

I doubt the lack of the oil change caused this problem unless the fuel issue you were having was a bad fuel pump and it was pumping gas into the crankcase and diluting the oil. Other than that old oil will generally not cause issues with relatively low mileage on it. I was thinking along the lines of an oil pump failure, I have seen that a few times in M-151's. Usually it is the relief valve spring breaking.

davidhdale

Andy sir. i think for the long run and money wise . why dont you see if some one here has a good engine to swap out.and we will pull the fuel tank and send it to cleaned and lined and that should take care or your rust issue in the fuel tank. let me know what you think

Grits

Andy sir. i think for the long run and money wise . why dont you see if some one here has a good engine to swap out.and we will pull the fuel tank and send it to cleaned and lined and that should take care or your rust issue in the fuel tank. let me know what you think
.....Sounds good. I've already pulled the tank and will send it probably to Tank Renew near Orlando.....
Now to find either an engine or parts....

poppop

Remember Andy I have a parts engine I bought that ran great when pulled, or so I was told. When I went to pick it up it had sank about six inches into the ground. Trans was full of water and junk but no water in the engine. I bet the cam and lifters are good. Then I have the engine I pulled from my 151 that I know the cam and lifters are good. If you promise to be better to me, Pam, and Spicy next year at the Rally you can get parts really, really cheap. Now I can't say what it would take for you to wind up with that NOS A2 engine I have tucked away in the barn.:naner::naner::naner:

rickf

Remember Andy I have a parts engine I bought that ran great when pulled, or so I was told. When I went to pick it up it had sank about six inches into the ground. Trans was full of water and junk but no water in the engine. I bet the cam and lifters are good. Then I have the engine I pulled from my 151 that I know the cam and lifters are good. If you promise to be better to me, Pam, and Spicy next year at the Rally you can get parts really, really cheap. Now I can't say what it would take for you to wind up with that NOS A2 engine I have tucked away in the barn.:naner::naner::naner:
You mean like one of these?156.jpg

poppop

Well yea, there you go, my flywheels were bolted on and the carbs were included. There appeared to be water damage half way up the engine but no internal damage. Bad news is high bid could get all three. My bid was $203.00, and yes, I got all three. And then The guy delivered to my farm free. The one I installed in my 151 runs great. Had it running in 5 minutes after install. I did use the carb off my old engine as I knew it was in good shape. I sold one to an SS member who was rebuilding one with NOS parts. The other one is in my barn for a future needs if I find another 151 for me. Of course If Andy is real nice, theres no telling what the outcome could be.:p

rickf

That was a really sweet deal! Mine came with all of the external parts packaged around the engine. I took them out and stored them inside. The motor is even filled with oil, ready to go. I don't think I would use that oil though.

Grits

I could pretend to be nice to You long enough to get the engine......But Pam and Spicey?....I don't even think I could fake that for one minuter!
NOS A2 engine ?......Tis ain't sounding good already!

Grits

let me know what you get if you get an engine or if we pull it to repair it. i will call you tomorrow when i get back
I'm not sure if I should get a parts engine like Pop has or maybe I should look for a new engine in the crate....
Any idea if a new engine is available .....and what it should cost?
Thanks again for your help...
Andy

Grits

After doing some more learning and checking.....it's looking more like I really do have a broken lifter.....
Would someone post a close up picture of the lifter, especially the bottom?
Also, what is the total length of the unbroken lifter?
My lifter just easily lifted straight up from the side plate, and it is 2.214" or 56.24mm long....
I tried to lift out the 1st and 3rd lifters, they both had a definite metal to metal sound and would not come up and out.
That makes me believe the bottom "flare" is broken off....
So what does the good lifter actually look like and how long is it?
I can't seem to find that pic or info...
Thanks,
Grits

Grits

$T2eC16N,!zEFIez-EEsiBSd,NgmNSg~~60_57.jpg

I think this is what the lifters (aka Tappets) look like....mine has the "head" COMPLETELY MISSING!!
It is completely straight all the way down....

rickf

The lifter does not sit perfectly centered on the cam, it sits off center just a bit so that when it is running it will rotate a little every time it raises an lowers. If you had a valve stick tight it could have put enough force on the lifter to break it off due to it running off center and not taking the force on a solid base. The fact that there is wear on the section of lifter that was left I can assure you that the cam is bad. Even if it looks good it will tear up a new lifter.

poppop

Andy, I just looked at the pictures. Bob had a peanut boil party tonight with all the boiled peanuts, beer, or whisky you could consume and I am in no condition to reply. Much the same as you were last night when you left my house after partaking of my cheap whiskey.

Grits

Andy, I just looked at the pictures. Bob had a peanut boil party tonight with all the boiled peanuts, beer, or whisky you could consume and I am in no condition to reply. Much the same as you were last night when you left my house after partaking of my cheap whiskey.
Just the fact that it was YOUR whiskey made it especially good ....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks