• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M152cdn saved from the scrapper

doinworkinvans

Guy across the street saved one of these and its what inspired me to get into MVs. Amazing trucks and even more amazing you found one and saved it! Great work!

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be great! I need to get into it and see what I need. Im on a mission to hear it run once again then we'll go from there.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled all the plugs today and shot some marvel mystery oil in the holes so now its time to just let it sit. Lubed up hinges and door latches so I can get things opened and closed. Looked around some more underneath to see if I could find any obvious missing parts or problems but was happy not to find anything. Im wondering how long I should let it sit before I try and free it. Dont wanna break a ring or anything else. Any thoughts on this?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple days should be fine. I put MMO in my M725's cylinders through the plug holes one Friday, Sunday I cranked it over and it fired a few times, just enough for me to know it was free and not stuck. That was after the engine was sitting 15 years without anyone running it.

Truly an amazing find! With just over a thousand made, this one is more than worthy of a complete frame off resto! If you were close by, I'd love to come and handle some of the welding and body repair duties! Seeing this find and knowing she's in good hands make me feel all warm and fuzzy! (well fuzzier than I already was) lol
:driver:

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will probebly end up doing a frame off restoration eventually. My day job is a heavy equipment operator so getting the body off wouldnt be to much of an issue. I want to hear it run first though. If not I ll pull the motor and re build but I think its got some life left in it. I appreciate all the advise with this so far. :beer:

citizensoldier

A couple days should be fine. I put MMO in my M725's cylinders through the plug holes one Friday, Sunday I cranked it over and it fired a few times, just enough for me to know it was free and not stuck. That was after the engine was sitting 15 years without anyone running it.
A little bit different engine style Gimp. That tornado disaster ain't no flathead!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little bit different engine style Gimp. That tornado disaster ain't no flathead!
You're right, Lane. It's not a flathead, but MMO works well on waking old 230cid Dodge flatheads as well, I used it on a buddy's a couple years back, same story. That engine was un-run for 8 years, so maybe it didn't need a kick in the pants to unseat the pistons. But I swear by MMO for soaking old pistons in for a couple days regardless of what engine it is. Just seems to work well for me.

And I believe you have me confused with someone else. Like Gimpy. :)

citizensoldier

You're right, Lane. It's not a flathead, but MMO works well on waking old 230cid Dodge flatheads as well, I used it on a buddy's a couple years back, same story. That engine was un-run for 8 years, so maybe it didn't need a kick in the pants to unseat the pistons. But I swear by MMO for soaking old pistons in for a couple days regardless of what engine it is. Just seems to work well for me.

And I believe you have me confused with someone else. Like Gimpy. :)
I here ya..I was referring to the two day thing. It might take a bit to free up a Flathead in the block valve train, compared to that overhead valve engine with a two foot timing chain:).That's all I was getting at. Would probably get the rings to pop after two days though. MMO works well on all sleepy engines that is why i referred it in a earlier post.

hilber

Kroil liquid also works real well. I have used it to free engines that have not run for 20 yrs. It would be sweet if you could get a big (long handle or cheater bar)wrench onto the crank and wiggle it after a couple days.

m37brat

I found this truck thru a friend and was told it might go to the scrapper. So I proceeded right after work that day to look at it and then went home to do some research. Once I realized what it was and that there was only 1038 ever made I knew what I had to do. The seller was a good guy so it worked out. The body is rough but complete. The engine looks to be origanal to so we'll see what happens. Let me know what you think.
Wow great deal. I have been looking for a M152 for couple of years. If you change your mind on restoring this truck give me a shout

Jim

JGBallew

If the MMO won't get it, there is always Kroil, though it's a lot more expensive. (though if it's stuck bad enough that MMO wont loosen it, you're probably better off tearing it down)

Draining all the oil and filling (To the top) it with diesel has worked for me in the past. You have to let it sit though, and check the level as it creeps into the air pockets.

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to pull the head to see what was up after all. The two center cylinders seem to be the culprit of the motor being stuck. It looks to me that moisture got in thru the carb from it sitting for who knows how long. The other 4 cylinders look great. Im trying to decide whats the best way to remove the rust on the cylinder walls without damaging them. The oil looks great and it still had good coolant in the block. Any ideas are always appreciated.

m35a2cowner

I have had good luck by putting penetrating oil in cylinders and letting it sit a couple of hours. Next tap on the tops (don't go over board) with a wooden block that covers as much of the piston as possible. Let sit an hour or so (add more penetrating oil if needed). Put the truck in gear and push/rock it (by hand) back and forth until you notice the piston move. When it does don't move it much, just enough to take a shop vac and clean the top of the piston off. Any rust, if so touch up with some *fine* emery cloth---don't over do it, just a bit of clean up only---. Repeat on other cylinders s that need it. Turn the engine (by hand at first) over to make sure nothing else will tie it up. Clean cylinders, with rag, and lubracate all other cylinders and reassemble. Good luck

m37CDN

looks like a great find. It would be interesting to see what it's history is. A Canadian M152 ending up in the US as an ambulance?? The engine would be different than the detroit dodge built vehicles. Other than than and some minor differences it would be the same as those built on both sides of the border. Keep us informed of your work. Always good to see a poor Canadian vehicle being worked on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks