• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m211 transmission will not shift

fallen

just picked it up this weekend the guy i bought it from parked it 5 years ago after the government tracked the truck down and removed the insturment panel. They actually cut the speedo cable. He said it drove fine when he parked it. the low side works fine but when you put it on the high side you can feel the truck engage in gear but it will not move

JGBallew

just picked it up this weekend the guy i bought it from parked it 5 years ago after the government tracked the truck down and removed the insturment panel. They actually cut the speedo cable. He said it drove fine when he parked it. the low side works fine but when you put it on the high side you can feel the truck engage in gear but it will not move
"the government tracked the truck down and removed the insturment panel. They actually cut the speedo cable."

Radium? And the goons had sidecutters but couldn't be bothered to bring pliers?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trani trouble shooting

MilitaryTrucks.ca - Welcome!

Military Trucks manages the Technical Manuals for the G749 series trucks and has TM-9-8025-2 for the hydromatic. Even the process for checking trani oil
levels in the 211 has a few steps.

Oil levels correct?
Correct oil?
Filter allowing flow or is it plugged?

After my purchase and prior to hard running the trani in my 6x6, I went through all of the preventative maintenance steps, changed the oil, cleaned the filter, adjusted the linkages and warmed the trani up as per the TM'sSS suggestions.

If you've done all that and the trani still isn't pulling you, then there's another section on trouble shooting prior to removals.

It's not a cheap or easy process making sure all the fluids and filters are correct prior to firing and driving a new toy. Even the examination....and sniff... of the old stuff coming off and out of the trani can tell you a lot about the trani's condition. Trouble

Trani failure is one of the biggest reasons these trucks were parked.

Good Luck and let us know what you needed to do to get it to work.

fallen

I tried it again today it works fine in low but when I put the shifter on the left side (high) you can hear the engine slow down like it is under a load. The vehicle stops like it is in park. Just changed the oil in granny. Its a little overfull will have to drain a little out. Any ideas. The old oil does not smell burnt

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Again,
Call Tom at Alfa Heaven on the trans

So let us talk about the dash removal. I'm curious about that one. Are you serious?

fallen

I will try to find the phone number for alfa heaven but the dash thing really happened. The guy I bought the truck from told me that he bought the truck at a government auction in the late 90's from Penn. He paid 800 for it. He had it towed down the charlotte at a cost of $1100. Then he said that 5 years ago somebody from the government came to his house with a geiger counter. Tested the dash panel and removed it. They cut all of t he connections including the speedo cable.

fallen

I called and spoke with someone i guess was Tom. He sounds like my kind of guy and took a few minutes to explain in detail how to remove the wavey spring I am going to start on it this weekend if all goes according to plan. If i can get the transmission working my next challenge will be to find a replacement instrument panel and speedo cable. Thanks for the help.
He said there were other posts on Steele Soldiers that would be of help. Are you aware of anyone that may have posted a video on a website that may help??

M215

I think you are referring to REB shift kit manufactured by Memphis Equipment Co. But you can call yours Rebecca if you prefer. This allows you to manually shift / select gear for the GMC Hydromantic. If I remember correctly MECO stopped production a couple years ago. I have one in our M215, works great

fallen

I sent the last message from my cell phone and the spell check seems to change things without my knowing it. thanks for the info.

Is there a difference between the XM 211 and the M 211 ??

Mastertech

X stands for expermental (dont laugh at my spelling) from what I understand early production units are more likley to have an x in front, but to answer your question, No

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
xm211 m211

When this short fat balding guy googles "xm211 m211" there are a few bits of data suggesting the "X" is typical with "Experimental".

Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Re: M211 / XM211

Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] XM211 vs M211?

We know the XM model was the earlier version and the M came later. As for differences between the two.............I'm going for age.

It's a blast searching for data on xm211 . . . or M211 . . . . found a fun link from a familiar truck. Gigity XM211 on Veengle

Learned a little about cloning (this link is not military truck related but does discuss xm211) Cloning and characterization of the p... [Appl Environ Microbiol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Even the 'search terms' "broke my trani in my 211" nets you M211: The “Cadillac Deuce” | Military Trader

Link to data, info and parts

GMC 6X6 MECHANICALS

I also gave you a bad link in a previous post.

My favorite Canadian Website has been pulled. MilitaryTrucks.ca - Welcome! The front page is still there with an explanation of their absence.....I'm still in shock so will need a drink.

It's been a while since I visited there so I Ass u med that it would always be there....... I was wrong, sorry.....still need a drink without my favorite link my heart is in the sink.

If there is some way to get the TM's in front of you, most of your answers would be right there.

Oh ya, This thread is useless for those of us who really like pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fallen

Can anyone advise what would happen if i changed the transmission in my 211 without changing the engine ? I have two 211's and they both have bad transmissions I have located a rebuilt transmission (i think) and have always heard you had to keep the engine and transmission together as a set. thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks