• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M27 Bomb Truck

captain-crank

I bought and hauled an H1 from FL to PA. Put over $2200 into the transaction. I figured that an H1 was uncommon enough to save. Well, the parts supply for H1 is almost nill. And it sat for 3 years. I finally DID sell the frame and dump portion from the cab back (I torch cut the frame right behind the cab). So I still have a rear bogey than the font cab portion rusting away. How many people are looking for axles? Or springs? Some things just don't break. In the end the ONLY valuable part was the hoist subframe and even then I could only get $500 for it.

hehehe

So you made a bad decision and now you poop on everyone's parade?

Wayofftrack

I bought and hauled an H1 from FL to PA. Put over $2200 into the transaction. I figured that an H1 was uncommon enough to save.
From the old 94th Aero Squadron Restaurant group I'm guessing. That stuff was rusty beyond belief. I considered some of the stuff but it was too rusty for me to make it worth dragging it even 200 miles. Florida is a heck hole for rust especially within 20 miles of the coast. I go out west now for trucks like this BT but fuel costs are going to make that a thing of the past soon. I'm glad I was able to round up what i did before things got so expensive. I think cckw's are a lot of bang for the buck now. Prices are the same or lower than they were 10 years ago. If i can get this truck for the right price and that is a huge if then I may be able to justify hauling it. It is not in danger of being scrapped.

One thing I'm wondering is if any lwb cargo cckws were converted by various AFB's specially to bomb trucks. I've seen a dodge converted by the navy to a bomb truck using a gtb boom so I think it is possible the AF might have made some of their own bomb trucks hence it might not be a factory M27.

Anyway it is fun to think about.

Wayofftrack

Not every old truck needs to be restored and most collectors never get around to restoring all their projects so I don't see not restoring it as any big deal. I'm starting to appreciate nice unrestored trucks more and more anyway. After all one restored cckw or scout car looks pretty much like the next one so it is nice to see something different for a change.

vtdeucedriver

From the old 94th Aero Squadron Restaurant group I'm guessing. That stuff was rusty beyond belief. I considered some of the stuff but it was too rusty for me to make it worth dragging it even 200 miles. Florida is a heck hole for rust especially within 20 miles of the coast. I go out west now for trucks like this BT but fuel costs are going to make that a thing of the past soon. I'm glad I was able to round up what i did before things got so expensive. I think cckw's are a lot of bang for the buck now. Prices are the same or lower than they were 10 years ago. If i can get this truck for the right price and that is a huge if then I may be able to justify hauling it. It is not in danger of being scrapped.

One thing I'm wondering is if any lwb cargo cckws were converted by various AFB's specially to bomb trucks. I've seen a dodge converted by the navy to a bomb truck using a gtb boom so I think it is possible the AF might have made some of their own bomb trucks hence it might not be a factory M27.

Anyway it is fun to think about.
The 94th Aero Squadron was WW1 and was in St. Pete. I think the "Tipper" you were refering to was in West Palm and I cant remember what unit it was. It was either the 95th BG or the 98th BG. One or the other was in West Palm and the other was in Ft Lauderdale. Yea that CCKW was awful.......I should have a pic of it!!! I also remember the GPW that was there was not much better.

Oldfart

Has anyone considered the find might be a CCKW with the hoist frame as used for an early wrecker? Saw one of those frames on GL a couple of months back and wondered it it might fit in an M35. I don't thing that hoist frame was used much beyond WWII.

Oldfart

Oldfart,
Nice looking M220 and trailer combo you have there!

Thank you! We were very lucky to find this coming off active duty after 55 years. We bid on it last June and picked it up from Barstow (Yermo) right after the 4th of July weekend. Long hot trip home, but it was worth it. Less than 10,000 miles at the time and mostly complete with not too much to do except straighten the grill and fresh paint (and...and...) It came out of Yuma Proving Ground where it spent most of its life if not all. We sanded through many layers of white paint and organizational unit markings to the point we know for sure the truck was there and painted white sometime between 1962 and 1967. It could have been there longer. The Garrison historian has managed to find some people who have worked on post for many years that remember the truck. It has dual air conditioners and towed a generator to keep them running. We did not get the generator trailer setup with the truck so we painted a similar vintage M105 we had on hand to match. We are looking for a genset to put in the trailer to power everything.

paulfarber

I was fully aware that the cab was shot. I have a cab and engine.. it was the dump parts that got my attention. The bed floor was shot, but most everything else was in good shape... nothing that could not be replaced. And all the parts were there for use as a pattern (it even had the spare tire carrier).

Would I have even touched the dumper if it had a good cab/bed without the subframe? Heck no. How many dumper subframes have you seen for sale that were not attached to a truck?

Putting a new floor on the bed is nothing.

Finding a new dump piston or pump? hahahahahaha you'd have to buy another truck.

The guy I sold the bed/subframe to was in that EXACT situation. He had the front half of a dumper and needed a rear half. I had a rear half and needed a front. I think its in Ohio now.

I don't call it a bad decision.. I had a major shift in priorities from the dump to to the cargo once the wooden bed was found.

I also found a wooden Ben hur to complete the cargo truck. As I said.. I had a major shift from one project to another.

Its not like I bought the dumper 'to save it'.... it was to be restored... until circumstances directed otherwise.

Wayofftrack

Well I have an update. It has the data plate on it and the nomenclature indicates it is an M 27 BOMB TRUCK.:jumpin:

One of the trolleys is misisng and the boom has been modified to sit at a 45 degree angle like a tow truck. The guy paid $100 for it a few years ago at a farm auction. :-D

Pics on the way to me soon it is in a very hard to get to spot sorta hidden away from prying exwife eyes.

paulfarber

The trolley is the big ticket item. Everything else is just I beams.

Add that is not a WWII production #7 Wrecker set. WWII wrecker sets where tube steel and forged. Might be post war. Note rounded beams.. nothing was at an angle.

There also was/are a special reinforcing bracket to install #7 sets onto wooden cargo bodies... seems that they were pulling the planks up and needed extra bracing.

If it is a real WWII production CCKW with the production bomb hoist that's a good find. Any architectural / structural iron company should be able to make new beams... its the hoist/trolley that you are really after. In Schuylkill Haven PA Ebinger Iron works could probibly make parts if you needed anything remade.

From Army Motors articles I have read the #7 sets were despised becuase the rear mount... it would take numerous attempts to back into the right spot to get the hoist into position. Read the Dec 42 issue if you have it.

Attachments

Last edited:

captain-crank

Farby,

I often wonder what you are talking about.

The M27 has nothing to do with a Set #7.

It also has more than one trolley, which I will optimistically choose to believe, are most likely the same as any overhead gantry of that era.

"Just" I beams? .........thanks for all your help.

Attachments

Oldfart

Captain-Crank, awsome collection of WWII stuff. Not to many M-10's around either. You are a 1 man MV club.

Last edited:

swordmd

Their are two m27 beds here in Mountain Home, ID. Both are on much newer trucks. Mountain Home and Boise were bomber training bases in WW2. I know the differance from a No.7 and a M27 I have two No.7s one WW2 and one post war. The hoists are very different on the M27 one is to lift and one is to move the trolley. They also had racks on the floor and different side racks no troop seats

paulfarber

Farby,

I often wonder what you are talking about.

The M27 has nothing to do with a Set #7.

It also has more than one trolley, which I will optimistically choose to believe, are most likely the same as any overhead gantry of that era.

"Just" I beams? .........thanks for all your help.

I was referring to the picture of the No 7 set posted on the third page. He stated that he had a #7 set. It might be, but not according to the CCKW manuals... and to put in on a CCKW it would not be representative of the original vehicle.

Please read my posts and if you are unsure of their meaning PM me so I can explain them to you if you are unclear.

Back on topic... without the trolley, winches etc etc etc my personal opinion would be to pass. You could easily fab up the beams... but the parts the you need to make it of any real value are what I listed.. the winches, trolley, hoist etc.

Posting pictures would significantly clear things up... I hope it DOES have all the parts.... that would be s great find.

As you can see, there are is a LOT to the M27. If you can find the tracks and dolly super bonus points!!!

Attachments

paulfarber

And don't forget that you will need the PTO and the associated shafts/brackets to power the thing.

So if you do look at the truck, take a peek under the cab for a PTO and shafts running to the rear.

Wayofftrack

I wonder how many software programs get triggered every time I type Bomb Truck?

Determined this truck has the composite bed, metal sides wood floor. What type trucks are the M27 beds you have seen mounted on, M35's or commercial trucks? I'd think a septic tank installer would like one of these trucks or would have at one time before there was such a vast array of commercial trucks available.

Last edited:

paulfarber

The M27 was just a production CCKW with the rigging added. As I mentioned both the M27 and the No. 7 set were mounted to wood bodied CCKWs.

If you looked up the TO&E for a WWII bomber unit (or probably even a fighter unit) it would tell you how many M27s were allowed. They would then grab the nearest CCKW and bolt on the steel.

Does it have the trolley and winches?

Oldfart

I wonder if there were differences in the #7 set over time. The unit I saw on GL had a bowed or hoop support at the rear of the bed and then the trolly rail was attached to the single hoop and traveled to a single post at the front of the bed.

paulfarber

Seeing that the 2 1/2 ton truck never really significantly changed post war they probably took the Wrecker sets and bomb hoists and simplified the construction. Forging compound curves and bending I beams 'the hard way' give way to simpler welded/bolted construction.

The M35 lacks the many curves of a CCKW/M211 in favor for flat sheets.

I would give a toe or two to own the original dies that stamped out the CCKW fenders.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks