• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M270a1

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I bought this trailer from Adam a year or so ago. He was able to bring it over to me Friday night. So my plan is to paint and replace the deck. As well as new tires. And figure out a ramp setup. It'll be used to haul the HMMWV and M114 mainly. But I think other trucks could be in the future.

Anyhow, here's a few pics this far. My middle son wanted to help with it. We've managed to pull off most of the plywood. And knocked out the soft boards. I've also cut/ground the screws that were bent. Tomorrow I'll be picking up a T40 impact bit to try to get the rest out of the solid boards.

Planning on going with white oak for the deck. I've also thought about adding some lengthwise channel down the middle and diamond plate. To cut down on the lumber and allow for a place for a cable to pass over. I've thought about adding a winch to it as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1479083567390.jpguploadfromtaptalk1479083574936.jpguploadfromtaptalk1479083583915.jpguploadfromtaptalk1479083593996.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consider going with Lo Pro 295/75R 22.5 wheels/tires. That will get the bed height down from the stratosphere. I have air brake axle conversion components for that trailer if you are stuck with hydraulic.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Consider going with Lo Pro 295/75R 22.5 wheels/tires. That will get the bed height down from the stratosphere. I have air brake axle conversion components for that trailer if you are stuck with hydraulic.
I was planning on addressing the height with the tires as well. I'd also be interested in the air brake setup! I also seem to recall someone posted up a 270 that they had swapped the springs for airbags to allow it to "drop" as well for loading and unloading. But I can't seem to find it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Didn't get to work on the trailer much today. But I've got a quote for lumber. Also I bought a bit to help remove the screws. I've got over 50% of the lumber and screws removed now. Hopefully I can get it to 75% tomorrow. Or maybe better. I'm going to pressure wash the frame down once that's done. Hope to get it painted soon as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1479173353929.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Didn't get much time to work on it today. But I did get it stripped down to the tandems. Also have the order placed for lumber.

uploadfromtaptalk1479254966614.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Done with tearing off the deck. I'm going to sand and wire brush it tomorrow. Guess I will paint this weekend.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
There's a few bent sections of metal here and there, but so far, no cracks. I've thought about trying to straighten some of it, but it's really just cosmetic. I'd rather not stress the metal with heat.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Deck removed, screws removed and ground flush, loose paint removed, bare metal primed, lenses taped. Ready for paint when the wind dies down.
uploadfromtaptalk1479581014759.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ordered rough cut white oak. Current pressure treated lumber doesn't play well with steel due to the compounds used. (Corrodes metal) I am however going to mix up some diesel fuel with waste oil and "treat" the deck.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ordered rough cut white oak. Current pressure treated lumber doesn't play well with steel due to the compounds used. (Corrodes metal) I am however going to mix up some diesel fuel with waste oil and "treat" the deck.
I'm at this step with my M270A1. I just put in a new wiring harness today but have been stalling with the wood until I find the right one. I wasn't aware treated wood could mess with the steel. :?

When decking trailer I found that if you are using 1\4 inch self taping deck screws that a number 1 drill bit works very well .Some times when running down the screw it will bind and snap and waist a screw . The #1 drill bit will let the screw pull the board down and if it is over tight it will strip the metal and not break the screw then just put a nut on it from the under side .

rustystud

I'm at this step with my M270A1. I just put in a new wiring harness today but have been stalling with the wood until I find the right one. I wasn't aware treated wood could mess with the steel. :?

I was building my deck when this switch came about with pressure treated lumber. It's because of the EPA regulations and the leeching of "bad" chemicals from the old pressure treated lumber. So they went with this "New" stuff that corrodes metal !
You now "must" use stainless steel screws or bolts with any pressure treated lumber. There are some "special" coated screws that can handle the treated lumber for awhile but nothing beats the stainless steel. Just another added cost due to the EPA "helping" us all live longer and healthier lives ! Of course we now live in cheaper homes because of the costs and have to worry about the caustic effects of the "New" treated lumber !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks