• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M275 Sound off...

rwbrown72

:p
All right guys... I am thinking about converting a Deuce to a M275 tractor. Guys that have done it and guys that have real M275's let me know what you think about the trucks and how you use them. The reason I'm thinking about it is twofold. One: license and fees are a lot less than a five ton. Two: more room under the cdl limit to haul things on a flatbed or van trailer. Have another drink and let the opinions fly!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
May be easier to convert a M35A2 into an M48A2 tractor. Do a search on SS for a thread a while back for one very enterprising gent here who did the same, and came up with a quality tractor.

I offer this because converting a -35A2 to a -275 may be a bit harder, since the -275 uses different parts that may be harder to find.

rwbrown72

May be easier to convert a M35A2 into an M48A2 tractor. Do a search on SS for a thread a while back for one very enterprising gent here who did the same, and came up with a quality tractor.

I offer this because converting a -35A2 to a -275 may be a bit harder, since the -275 uses different parts that may be harder to find.
Thanks.... I was not trying to be specific to a model.... rather I wanted info on how people use their 2 1/2 ton tractors. Thanks for the heads up on the differences. I will research how to do it. What about uses: how do the pull with a 5th wheel?

M1075

more room under the cdl limit to haul things on a flatbed or van trailer.
If you are required to have a CDL for 5 ton tractor/trailer combination, then I think you are required to have one for 2.5 ton tractor/trailer combination as well. The typcial threshold I have seen is 26,000# gross for truck or 10,000# when combined. The deuce with any trailer would be over 10,000# combined.

emr

A personal use vehicle in NJ no matter what it is does or is that is as long as it does no work in any business does not require a CDL, i am reading the laws now, and it is true, I wonder since NJ is a gustapo state I would find it hard to believe a nother state could be more stricked, Now that is for personal use only , hobbys etc. Here u can register an 18wheeler and register it like a car, and drive away.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The M48 tractor parts are the same as the M275 parts the difference is the M275 is short wheelbase while the M48 is the standard M35A2 wheel base.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not quite - the M48 tractor utilized the standard air tank location and M35A2 fuel tank on the passenger side, while the M275 tractor has the air tanks on the passenger side, and a long, hard-to-find fuel tank on the driver's side. Creating a M48 tractor could be done by yanking the bed and tool rack, and adding the fifth wheel plate, spare tire rack and tractor fenders.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want an M275, your best bet is to find one for sale. They are rare but they are out there.

I use mine for pulling my 2 M128A2C's (12 Ton). One of my trailers has a couple 100 surplus Gore-Tex Parkas on clothing racks up and down bothsides of the trailer.

I do suggest using the 6 Ton trailers behind the M275's. Anything bigger is much better with a 5 Ton tractor.

Attachments

davey8943

RWBrown: are you considering converting the truck you won from redstone? If so, I call dibs on your REALLY nice m35a2 cargo bed...

DIBS!
:)

rwbrown72

RWBrown: are you considering converting the truck you won from redstone? If so, I call dibs on your REALLY nice m35a2 cargo bed...

DIBS!
:)
Nope. Just thinking about the next project. What I would really like is for someone out there to develope a quick change setup to go from cargo to tractor in an hour or two without a welder involved.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a M275A2 with LDS turned to 200 hp. With a 10,000 lowboy and 26,000 dozer loaded, the truck is clearly at it's limit. I have to start in 2nd Low and then split to 2nd high to get rolling. The turbocharger is screaming at 55 mph. Gearcases get really hot. This did not seem very safe for interstate use, which is why I am now a big M915 fan.

rwbrown72

I have an M275 and it is a little workhorse. I don't know if it has a higher gear ration tranny or rears but according to the speedo it does 65 with a little pedal left.
Pulls the expando van nicely.
Does your M275 have a turbo? What do you think about a M35 converted to a tractor? Any comments? I have more questions than money. If you guys were lawyers, I'd have already moved to the poorhouse.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
rw........mine is a naturally aspirated.....still pulls good.

Making a tractor out of a M35 should be fairly easy.....just make sure you position the 5th wheel correctly. The wheelbase would be longer but you could leave the spare tire in it's place. You would have to route air lines and an electrical plug.

rwbrown72

I'm thinking that a M35 conversion is the route to go for me. I think it would be nice to have a lowboy with some ramps for M37 and smaller vehicles. I have a problem now. I am always thinking about what to get next. I need a couple of smaller vehicles to fit on the back of the soon to be converted deuce tractor. You guys are all a bunch of trouble makers... just ask my wife! Putting these crazy ideas in my head!:twisted:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not quite - the M48 tractor utilized the standard air tank location and M35A2 fuel tank on the passenger side, while the M275 tractor has the air tanks on the passenger side, and a long, hard-to-find fuel tank on the driver's side. Creating a M48 tractor could be done by yanking the bed and tool rack, and adding the fifth wheel plate, spare tire rack and tractor fenders.
You can not make a M275 without shortening the frame. All the "tractor" parts are the same as a M48 with the exception of the walkway piece where the fenders are attached. The M275 fuel tanks are not easy to find but I have 3 NOS ones sitting here in crates. You have to move the air tanks only because the frame is shorter on the M275. I have a spare set of those brackets too. It would not be remotely worth trying to shorten a frame, as M275's are barely breaking $3K. If anyone needs any specific answers on the differences I can verify as I have both a SWB and a M48 sitting in the yard.:beer:

mhassett

I have an M275A2 and I find that due to the short length, and lack of a cargo bed, the truck is easier to drive than the M35A2.
I have the non-turbo, and the truck runs very well.
MHassett

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks