• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M3 Halftrack Restoration

Dirt71

Well I had a guy make me an offer on all of my 10 ton stuff, so I'm swicthing gear's a bit. This M3 came across my radar over Labor Day weekend and I think I'm going to grab it. I've wanted a halftrack forever, have'nt finalized the deal but hope to have it at my place next weekend. It need's a good bit of TLC but over all it's in good shape. Engine run's like a dream. It also has all of the original armor, so I'm told. I don't know much about halftrack's but I will be learning. [thumbzup]

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
are you saying you sold ALL your 10 tons, hope thay went to a MVer not a logger, if a MVer can you say who ?????

dittle

Machine gun bipod. There is a fixture that mounts to the back of that door the bipod hangs on when not in use. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow morning of the one on the museum's M3A1 halftrack.

Dirt71

Machine gun bipod. There is a fixture that mounts to the back of that door the bipod hangs on when not in use. I'll get a picture of it tomorrow morning of the one on the museum's M3A1 halftrack.
You see I did'nt even know that MG was short for machine gun. This is going to be a ride restoring this thing. :D

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I can't wait to see the bare frame on 4 jackstands in your shop. :D

Bring it to the Ga Rally before you take it apart!

Congrats-I love WWII stuff.

zout

ahhh - I looked on Google under M3A1 halftrack museums and wandered a few links down and found it
How is that for an Irony - very cool.

Wayofftrack

Go for it David I'll help you out with anything i can. I think it still has the data plate on the dash so that should have the manufacturers serial number stamped on it. Some halftracks that were rebuilt in the 50's have a generic data plate with WHITE stamped on it. Some of these were really built by white and some were built by Diamond T and Autocar. They carried over the original frame serial number to the new plate. As I recall in my discussions with Tom at the time he indicated the serial number on the plate was M3xxxxx with WHITE as the maker. I determined it was actually a Diamond T. Any halftrack or scoutcar built by White will have a serial number that starts with the number 2 with the exception of some EXTREMELY rare early vehicle serial numbers beginning with 1. On the G503 somewhere is a detailed discussion of halftrack serial numbers. Looks like it has lots of potential.:D
As far as I'm concerned the maker does not affect the value much one way or the other and most people commonly refer to them all as WHITE halftracks since it was designed by them. Oddly enough they were not the low bidder on the original contract once the design was accepted for standardization. Then WW2 came along and the rest is, as they say, history.

Last edited:

Dirt71

Well I went up and got the M3 today. I don't know when I'll be tearing into it, I've got alot of loose end's to take care of with these 10Ton's. For right now I'll be making a grocery list of part's and minor repair's that need to be done. First is the brake's, they don't work at all!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks