• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M34 Active duty

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A forklift loading ammo crates? Wow what a concept. Where the heck were they when my armored BN was in the field? I lost count how many hundreds of 105mm crates we loaded, unloaded, reloaded, unloaded again, and lastly, load and unload the spent dunnage, in a day, all by hand. Apparently our griping eventually worked, because after I had been assigned to oversee the fuel section, the ammo haulers at least had an all-terrain forklift available to load live rounds, but unloading and dunnage was still a hand job. Famous words at MTOC (army truck school) ,, " A driver does not handle his load, he is only there to supervise the loading and unloading." Okay, yeah maybe if he is driving a dump truck or the mess truck. . lol

Last edited:

foxtrot

Did you guys notice these M34s have the same diagonal gussets at the outer wheel well openings as the GMC M135s? Must be a later production thing, like 1951.
Photo from 1953.
It did not have the tailgate with the integrated step.

On this last photo, I think the photographer also wanted to show us in the background the armament pointed due east.

Last edited: