• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M348 Camper conversion

Jakelc15

That's pretty much what I have, a smaller panel and the rv plug wired in.
My panel is a main lug but I think I'm now going to convert it to a main breaker. I know at home my connection is good but I've read horror stories of RV parks back feeding. Also would be good cheap insurance when plugged into my antique generator!

Jakelc15

I'm headed over to my buddy's shop tomorrow, he has a wrecked camper trailer. Picking parts from it before it gets scrapped. I'll try to remember to get some pics. I'm going to try to get the water tanks, rooftop ac, and a bunch of interior stuff.

Jakelc15

That's a radio mounted on the wall. But we have taken a small TV for the kids at night. Worked well when it rained to keep them occupied.

rustystud

Cool project. Is it really camping with a TV or computer? Ha
That's how my wife said all camping should be done. When I bought a family tent she asked "what is that thing for ?" . When I told her to go camping with she said that's not camping that's Mountain Man living. That's what I get for marrying a city girl !
Great job on the trailer conversion !

Jakelc15

uploadfromtaptalk1440884723875.jpg
Toilet works! Shower isn't hooked up yet. The 55 gal black tank takes a long time to fill. uploadfromtaptalk1440884854868.jpg
Got a bed to sleep in too.

I had to stay at work overnight a couple days ago. So I took the trailer with me. Had my own bed to sleep in and air conditioning! Sure does beat a cot!

Jakelc15

Been camping about once a month. Here is a couple pics from last weekend.
uploadfromtaptalk1446079398581.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1446079433311.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446079448981.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446079483737.jpguploadfromtaptalk1446079502162.jpg

This sign was on both ends of the road. Then about a 1/4 mile in the was a sign that said 15 ton limit. uploadfromtaptalk1446079669264.jpg

Went to Pine Grove Furnace State Park
uploadfromtaptalk1446079751326.jpg

Jakelc15

Yes they are awesome! Ray, you have set the bar on military tractor trailer campers!
That was Pine Grove Furnace state park. It's within Michaux State forest. It has electric hookups with fresh water hydrants along the road to fill your tank. There is also a dump station at this location. We have gone to a couple state park campgrounds. They are typically cheaper than commercial campgrounds and the camp sites are bigger. Pa has a lot of campgrounds and state land.

Too bad your 900 miles away! We could invade a campground one weekend!

BnaditCorps

After I get a Deuce I will either do one of these conversions, or a M109, M185, or M934/M935. That would give me a place to work on my bikes while on trips + a place to sleep without using a tent.

Jakelc15

I slept in a deuce quite a few times. It's nice to be up off the ground. If I ever sleep in a pup tent again it will be too soon!

Jakelc15

In not sure what was originally mounted in the space behind the king pin but in front of the landing gear. There are brackets that I've repurposed to hold my aluminium jack pads.

There was also a piece of 5/16 chain bolted here and a grab hook is welded nearby.
uploadfromtaptalk1446987172791.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1446987371705.jpg

Jakelc15

The TM shows a square plate with an eye bolt in each corner. But shows no use of it or storage.

The drums are working well. 50 gal of water lasts a while. Especially since I haven't hooked up the shower/ tub.
There are 3 drums. Fresh, gray, and black.
The drain fittings are on the side, so when I drain them they leave a couple gallons in the bottom. I didn't want the fittings to hang down or be any longer than necessary. I don't see it being a problem freezing or anything, the drums are tough.
There is a fernco between all tanks and pipe to keep the vibration from cracking any pipe. They are all vented separating, black and gray through the roof.
I do use a little bleach in the black tank to keep it from stinking. I have tried the little smelly rv toilet packs and none seem to work as well as a cup of bleach.

The only problem I have had with them is that I had 1 strap break on the fresh tank. I used a 2" strap on one side and a 1" on the other. The cheap 1" strap tore where it was sewn. The tank didn't fall but leaked most of the water out. I replaced it with a quality 2" strap. Barrels are about 400 lb when full.