• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Cab Hardtop vs. GMA insulated soft top

Truckoholic

Okay..... So I bought a truck with a soft top because I liked the idea of being able to take the top off when I wanted to.... But now that I have the soft top truck, and just got my new soft top via ups today, I am realizing that it appears that it would be just as quick and easy to remove the dang hard top every time I wanted the top off, than to fight with that dang soft top and trying to get it in and out of the tracks over the windshield and behind the side windows. Is that really how it's done? There's no way I'm gonna run it through those tracks every single time I want to put it on or take it off!! I would rather take the bolts out and lift the hard top off. I was picturing being able to be driving along.....it starts to rain....so I pull over and pull the soft top out from somewhere and put it on and go. Had no idea the install was so time consuming and involved! Looks like unless I can design a quicker way to make it happen, I might just be putting a hard top on this dang truck! I'm thinking of making bolt on channels with wing nuts or something, because otherwise, No thank you!!!

IMG_20110924_125226 (Small).jpg

6x6junkie

hey lubrication and clean is key take your top off clean channels where top runs then paint let dry. lube chanels with vasoline this will make removal/instaltion 10 time easyer the rust from the old style canvas top screwed everything up cause the canvas was porus i love my softop 2 mins on and off and you can buy them one ebay for 185 compared to 1200 for hardtop you can buy alot of soft tops for that thats my 2c i used semi gloss paint came out looking good on outside tape windows a little to avoid overspray

hilber

So is it possible to just interchange the soft and hard top. Nothing else needed to switch over? Reason I ask is mine is a Hardtop, but I like the idea of a soft top in parades and spring and fall.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's doable, but not easy. You'll have to install all those bolts that connect the back of the hard top to the cab. No fun task, even with air tools.

Truckoholic

So is it possible to just interchange the soft and hard top. Nothing else needed to switch over? Reason I ask is mine is a Hardtop, but I like the idea of a soft top in parades and spring and fall.
It is kind of fascinating how easily interchangable so many different things are on these trucks. As long as your windshield frame has the channel that the soft top slides into, then all you need to do is take the hard top off, and get a soft top and the soft top framework, and you're in business! The holes should allready be in the places they need to be for the soft top frame to fit right into place. The problem I had.........I've got one deuce with a hard top, and one with a soft top. The one with the soft top, the channel at the top of the windshield was completely rusted out and unusable. But the windshield on the hard top truck had the channel and it was in great condition. So I spend all day today switching windshield frames between the two trucks. So now the frame that is on the truck I want the soft top on, has the channel on it, and I cut off and ground down the remaining rusted bits of the channel off the other one and put it on the truck with the hard top. Was a lot of work, but I really wanted to be able to use the soft top on my winch truck.

GHILL55

I prefer my hardtop for the Northern Montana weather. I just pulled the soft top and put on the hardtop (after repairing pinholes and a rusted out front rt corner) and installed a 1/2" rigid foam panel and a 1/2" contoured & stained birch plywood head board mounted with carriage bolts (ends to be cut off after mounting CB, Ham Radio, speakers and video monitor for rear cameras (truck and trailer).

Attachments

out of the way ja

hard top

been reading the posts of pros and cons between the two tops. i am currently needing a hard top for my deuce. i assume all posters have troop carriers and yes i have one of them and love the soft top but for some reason in my 109 some idiot though soft was good. well at 50mph the wind catching the van body whips the soft forward and back so bad it is like someone shooting at me. lol. really need to find a hard top to make the ride more enjoyable. any help?

rrrr

Hard top for me. I like the little extra all weather protection. Since I have 395's on mine I run down the highway at 57 so no flapping around. I even cut a hole and setup a cover to access the gun mount. Lots of work but worth it.

saddamsnightmare

November 24th, 2011.

Permit me to offer my personal experience of hard versus soft top on the M35A2. It takes to men to install and remove the hard top, plus it is no warmer in the winter and much too warm in the summer, based on my use of the M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare" in Northeast Texas climate. The soft top is much warmer in the winter and much cooler in the summer due to the insulation in it, and the price is reasonable. I prefer the GMA soft top in all weathers, even over my wife's 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, which is too hot in the summer and not warm enough in the winter (No insulation). Noise level? If you're not wearing hearing protection in either top, you're not going to be hearing much longer anyway.

Either top in a rollover:gimp2:, you're dead!

Just my two cents worth.

Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm also in FL and my current soft top (canvas) is going quickly... Where can I get a vinyl cover that you're talking about?
thanks!
Vinyl covers are available through eBay, SS classifieds and directly from the manufacturer, GMA cover.

Hoxman

I have tried calling (left 3 messages) and 2 e-mails to GMA and haven't even received a single response to my inquiry for a new soft top... Anyone have any contacts directly at GMA I could get in touch with??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks