• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Chicago Area to Munising, MI

snocrazy

Hi All. I am new around here. I purchased an M35 about a Month ago. I have posted in the deuce forum a few times asking stupid questions. Every one here has been really helpful.

I have a friend who was going to tow my 3 axle trailor and backhoe to Michigan with this truck. He ran in to some financial issues and told me he had to sell the truck. I wound up getting it for $2500. It has 790 Hours on it and under 20,000 Miles. I discovered that the truck came from the owner of the Russell Military Museum in Zion, IL. He was nice enough to take some time this weeknd and answer my barrage of questions. He also sold me a spare tire for the truck.

This Thursday November 20th, I plan to make the trip to the U.P.. I will be heading up 94 to 43 North through Milwaukee - GreenBay. I will then take 41 to 35 to 2....... All said and done - 350 Miles. I plan to take lots of pictures. There will be convoy of cars following me. (My snowmobiling friends) I plan to make the trip during the night. I hope there will not be much traffic and the scales should be closed. (please god)

There is snow forcasted every day this week in U.P. Michigan. The Lake Effect Machine has started! My house up there has almost 2 feet on the ground now.
How well do these military tires handle snow on pavement? I also have no heat. I am going to get one of those propane indoor camping heaters and a battery operated fan for the windshield defogging. I will also have a good old towel and maybe some alcohaul. (not the drinking kind - there will be lots after the drive)

Well, I am sneaking out of work to go finish installing the Redarc brake control system as well as the voltage reducer for the trailor lights.

What I have done to the truck to prepare for this trip......
New Vinyl Insulated Camo top.
Radiator Rebuilt.
Repaired 3 flat tires and purched a new spare.
Changed engine oil.
Cleaned Air Cleaner
Checked diff fluid levels.
Redarc brake controller and voltage converter for trailor lights.
had a hitch custom made.

I will be posting pictures of the truck and trip. If the snow does not stop, I might be post poning the trip to Thanksgiving.

maxim

I have driven an M-35 through IronWood, Escanaba, on 2 in November to Duluth and back with snow on the road and NDT's. I have been driving this truck for 7 years but never in the snow on pavement with NDT's. It started snowing in Irowood and it made for slow going. Down right hairy going. If you are looking for a experianced opinon, I would wait until you can get it home on dry roads. The lake effect is going full tilt here too. I can mash the throttle and spin tires at will on snow packed pavement. Steering is quite an adventure.

citizensoldier

Maxim is right.. I have been on some adventures in both 5 tons and M35's in snow with NDT's.. It is a **** tire on snow.. That 350 miles will feel like 1000 in my opinion.. Also without GOOD heat is a issue . The wind blows through the cab of a M35 like the deck of a sail boat.. :-D I would come up with a better heat/defrost system..

Westech

CPL
the deuce in the snow..... Well I have 20k odd some miles in military trucks (im a 88M in the army) and I wiped out in my deuce in the snow... it SUCKS like what was stated about.. down right hairy!... if you take it slow and ez you will be ok and I mean slow like 20 MPH on snow covered roads.

jfnemt1ff1

Just checking has anyone tried to drop the air psi to what the data plate? But I have to agree that the sires suck one time I was making a right hand turn at speed of about 15 mph.just a little dusting of snow and we did donuts, my son thought it was great.
John

kaiser m35

what about snow chains? i did pickup my 65 kaiser 35 and drove it from aalesund to lillehammer this is a 265miles trip i did 65miles whit the snowchaines on front weels four breaking and steering.i drove 30mph whit the chaines on did work well. here in norway it mandatory to have chains in the truck in winter time.if you get stop bay the polis or state goverment you get a drive ban untill you can show them some chains. single truck is 3 chains longhouler needs 7chains.

cheers and godluck to you.

Chevytruck

what about snow chains? i did pickup my 65 kaiser 35 and drove it from aalesund to lillehammer this is a 265miles trip i did 65miles whit the snowchaines on front weels four breaking and steering.i drove 30mph whit the chaines on did work well. here in norway it mandatory to have chains in the truck in winter time.if you get stop bay the polis or state goverment you get a drive ban untill you can show them some chains. single truck is 3 chains longhouler needs 7chains.

cheers and godluck to you.

is that allowed in the united states?

98hd

Yes, the NDT's are horrible in snow.

I'm up at my camp in Trenary for the week if you want to talk deuces or have any questions that I can help answer. As far as the snow goes. You should be just fine from chicago to escanaba. We just got some snow in Gladstone yesterday, but the highway is perfect.

ida34

really i thought they were making studded tires, is this only Michigan?

or is it everywhere?
We had studded snow tires for our patrol cars in Tennessee. The weird part was I never really wanted to use them. They really never got the weather that would require them. We got ice once in a while but the cars with the studded tires were the old unassigned cars. We had to give up our nice new cars for old ones with the studded snow tires. My point is it depends on the law for a particular state. Tennessee allow them for a certain period during the winter months.

dburt

Out here in the west, such as Oregon and Idaho, you have to chain up over the snow covered passes when the "chains required" sign is lit. But most of the time, unless it is bare pavement, it will be frozen snow, ice or slush, so chains are a must! I would run chains in the front, and one chain per axle per side in the rear for a total of 6 chains. Unless you are rated commercial out here, you can get away with that. Otherwise, you must chain up with dual chains in the back. Expensive and a big hassel! Or, you can convert to good traction civilian truck type tires. I went that route with the steering tires in front, better ride, easier steering, and better traction. Still, if I were to be in serious winter driving conditions, I would chain 'em all up. Better safe and slow then sorry! By the way Kaiser m35 from Norway, your pics of your road trip reminds me of what it looks like in the mountains in winter in NE Oregon.

citizensoldier

Yes, the NDT's are horrible in snow.

I'm up at my camp in Trenary for the week if you want to talk deuces or have any questions that I can help answer. As far as the snow goes. You should be just fine from chicago to escanaba. We just got some snow in Gladstone yesterday, but the highway is perfect.
Trenary !!! Ah the land of my peeps !! Its been a couple years since I had some Trenary toast with my coffee.. My family used to bring it down by the bag load but most of them are gone now and the younger ones all moved away or dont come visit anymore. Oops sorry off topic for this post..
Anyway... I dont think you would have any teeth left in your head if you drove that many miles on those roads with chains.. :-D

98hd

Trenary !!! Ah the land of my peeps !! Its been a couple years since I had some Trenary toast with my coffee.. My family used to bring it down by the bag load but most of them are gone now and the younger ones all moved away or dont come visit anymore. Oops sorry off topic for this post..
Anyway... I dont think you would have any teeth left in your head if you drove that many miles on those roads with chains.. :-D
Can't say I can ever remember eating it, but I know it is very popular as "teething" food for the little ones.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks