• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Chicago Area to Munising, MI

snocrazy

I have had the pasties. I have never heard of this toast. I guess I will have to pick some up. It sounds good.

Will it ever stop snowing? This is probably the only time I have ever wanted it not to snow in my life. I snowmobile a lot and hope and pray for snow normally. All of my friends are shocked that I am upset it is snowing. I just need a 2 day window. Even if the roads are clear, my last 10 miles through the woods will be interesting. If some of you are local up here, I live off of Doe Lake Road. I am between FFH13 and 16 Mile Lake Rd. Due south of the Buckhorn. You will see the M35 in the hood often.

citizensoldier

What day are you making this trip? I will be through the UP Sunday night headed to Wisconsin and coming back Tuesday sometime.. Maybe meet for Coffee or if you need help PM me and I will shoot you my cell. I also have not taken my deer yet this year so if you have a empty seat pal oh buddy.. :-D:-D

snocrazy

I am thinking of leaving Thanksgiving after stuffing my face at our family dinner in Gurnee. I have a 4 day weekend and it looks like the snow may slow down a bit after this low pressure moves on.

Plenty of deer around. (been baiting on my land)
Hope the excessive amounts of snow does not drive tham south.
Still see plenty of tracks going down to the lake.

derby

No chains in Mi. There are some northern mid west states that allow it. Snowcrazy,wait for good weather. Do You remember running on ice in sneakers? and sliding all over? that is what it is like driving a deuce in foul weather !

snocrazy

I am leaving tonight around 8pm cst. I am picking some one up in Twin Lakes, WI then taking 50 over to 94-43 North. It looks like I will have decent weather. Maybe some snow in the last 50 miles. Wish me luck!

snocrazy

The truck ran like a champ. These m35s are amazing. Every thing was problem free.... until I hit the snow! Holy Crapola! I hit snow 10 miles south of Escanaba. (About the last 70 miles of the trip. Running the highway with snow on it is insane. You guys were all right about the lack of traction with these tires. I made it to Trout Lake Rd between Trenary and Chatam off of 67. All was fine until I came upon a big ice covered hill. I hit it at about 40mph. We lost speed real quick. I made it 3/4 of the way up and lost all traction. We came to a stop and I hit the hooks. This is when the ride of my life began...
We were sliding backwards! The brakes were doing nothing! I slammed her in to granny and floored it trying to keep the trailor straight behind us. We had to be doing 25 to 30 at this point. There was a 30 to 40 foot drop off to the drivers side and I was trying to stay away from that side as well as not jack knifing. I beached it hard in to the snow bank away from the drop off. My friend was following in my Tahoe. He had to fly in reverse to avoid being run down by the run away reverse freight train. We then went in the Tahoe to a few farms in the area to see if any one had a tractor or some thing that might pull us out. No luck. I called a tow truck. A $500.00 tow truck. The kind of tow truck that can pick up train cars. He pulled me to the top of the hill. From there I still had a hell of a ride. Why the hell dont they plow any of the roads around here?!?!? Are all of the plow drivers on Holiday or some thing? I also heard messages like "we are not really doing much work now. We are out hunting." when calling around to local tow companies.

All said and done.... I Made It! 9pm to 12am the next day.

I will post pictures over the weekend. This was one trip I will never forget.

citizensoldier

with the pavement covered with snow and/or ice, i have never had anyone complain about me running tire chains. (cept maybe the snowmobilers when im on the 2 tracks but thats another story)
Thats because you ran them off the trail by taking it all up not because of the chains..:roll:

A duece with NDT's on snowy ice roads need those sand spreaders like on a locamotive to get up a mole hill..

Did you need new underwear after trying to keep that backward sliding truck and trailer from going down a 30' bank!!! I need pictures!!!:grin::grin:

kaiser m35

with the pavement covered with snow and/or ice, i have never had anyone complain about me running tire chains. (cept maybe the snowmobilers when im on the 2 tracks but thats another story)

it sounds like you had a hell off a ride there mate. thank god no one got hurt:-D as it comes to the chaines i would tell det offiser that was complaning to go to hell. he is there to proteckt and serve. to drive a deuce whit out the chaines should be an offense it self. nothing persenol snow crasy:!:. you have a sick law there!!! so im i coreckt im some states it not alowd to youse chains on a big rig??? thats youst crazy:roll::roll::roll: it not like you used them when its not neseseri.

thank god that we dont have this stupid law here in norway
that would mean that my deuce had to sit still four 6months.

i took the deuce out four a spin to day mounted 4 singel chains
2up front 2 on the outer weel second axel.stil it was exiting to drive.
i also have 2 mother of all chaines one chain goes over 2 tires. on whits axel is this best to put these on second or thierd?

Last edited:

Norseland

Holy Friggin Runaway Deuce!!!
Oh man I love the I told you so's! Ha!
God Blessed Nobody did get hurt, what an insane story, sounds as though under the circumstances you did well!

Snocrazy I go to the UP often, I'm just a bit outta Houghton, so that being said Ive driven in some insane S*#$!
I'll say that every time I go up late at night that anything north of Iron Mountain to Pretty much Houghton is asking for it. Somewhere on there in these winter month's is going to be some snowfall, and sometimes what makes the UP apart from the rest of the midwest...Total Whiteout's. I did a 33 incher a couple of years back... never again.
If all could be garaunteed a safe passage most beautiful thing ever, otherwise a bit hairy!

Luckily I did my Deuce run this year in may, about may 4th. There was lots of rain but apparantly I was sparred the ordeal of it being cold enough to be snow. I even had no Idea these tires are for crap in the snow. This is the first I heard of this. If you want to see my post here ya go.. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?t=21834
Please let's see what pic's you have, love to see it, And God Bless Da UP!

John

Norseland

Realy not much to view here but It's a sample of my 430 miles, sound--WWWAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! sorry cant seem to get the vid up here.

[media]http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/chitownjohn/?action=view&current=Ohboy.flv[/media]

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks