• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 clutch slips

FUSIONWELDING

i have a decent clutch disc in the truck but when i took it for a ride i noticed when i was going through the gears by the time i got to overdrive i let off the gas a little it picked up some more and i could smell clutch i checked the linkage and its within spects, it grabs about 2 in before you let it all the way out just looking for some input thanks dustin

Last edited:

Westex

Check for an oil leak either from the tranny or the engine main seal. If engine oil, you could be making oil and it's leaking past the main seal, or tranny overfilled with another problem with the tranny. If neither, check your clutch adjustment again.

tm america

you should have at least an inch of free play no free play=slipping clutch and like westex said check for leaks any oil on the clutch will make it slip

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its doubtfull it will be engine oil, the flywheel is designed to keep it from leaking onto the clutch. Your issue is probably gear oil. If you remove the inspection plate and give it a whiff, I bet its gear oil. Drain some out and see what happens.

Crackerjax

drain trans to first knuckle...put transfer case in nutral and with brake parts cleaner go to town in the inspection cover on the clutch while its running have soneone work the clutch while you spray...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
drain trans to first knuckle...put transfer case in nutral and with brake parts cleaner go to town in the inspection cover on the clutch while its running have soneone work the clutch while you spray...
Drain trans to first knuckle if its HOT! Second or more if its cold. NO need to work the clutch, just strap it down and spray the cleaner. It will work just fine.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah SW, Gimp's not the only one!!! :oops:

To the OP, if your clutch is slipping, both of the more common causes have been brought up already....either you do not have the required free play (it is spelled out in the TM how to make the adjustments and set the free play), or you have oil leaking out of the transmission.

Since you said you noticed it when you took it for a ride, I'm leaning more toward it being a free play adjustment, since I've never heard of anybody having the transmission leak until it had been driven hard at high speed for an extended period of time (unless the "damage" had already been done before you got it). It takes a while for the oil in the tranny to head up enough to push it's way out through the screwback, but do not rule either problem out until you can check it thoroughly

stumps

Check the free play! You should be able to move the pedal with one finger at least 1 to 2 inches before you feel anything harder. Also, dragging brakes smell just like slipping clutch.

-Chuck

art

This sounds simple, but maybe you are smelling the E brake?
Did you maybe leave it on or with this weather could be frozen on the brake drum?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which plug did you pull?? The one in the bell housing is the fording plug and should NOT be installed unless you are fording water. That plug should be in it's storage location until needed. The inspection cover on the bottom of the transmission bell housing is the rectangular plate with 6 bolts holding it on. That plate will give you access to the grease fittings on the throw-out bearing and you should be able to see the clutch pretty easily too.

Here is a snapshot from the TM, it's an inside view of the transmission bell housing, but you should get an idea of the plate (circled in red) we're talking about and it's location if you can visualize what you're seeing from the outside too.

Attachments

tm america

engine oil can and will get on the clutch just as the trans fluid will if it is over filled .this is the problem i had with mine when i would drive it hard for over an hour it would leak out the rear seal.and since the bellhousing is sealed the oil goes to the bottom and sits on top of the inspection cover and then is slung around by the flywheel which slings it onto the clutch.i took my inspection cover off and it was fine .if it is engine oil giving you the problem taking the cover off will help .if its the trans it wont since the fluid will be leaking between the input shaft and the front bearing retainer. and then drips straight onto the clutch disc

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
how do you know it is a 'decent' disk?? if you replaced it recently and the flywheel was not machined, it may slip. both surfaces HAVE to be very smooth for a metalic pad clutch to work properly.

tm america

even with the plug in the storage hole it will hold enough oil in the bellhousing to get it on the clutch.as the top of the threads for the plug are above the ring on the flywheel and pressure plate mounting bolts

FUSIONWELDING

i swapped out my gas engine for the multi fuel so i got to look at it during assembly and it was in pretty good shape plus i drove the donor truck home about 25 miles and it seemed very good i cant remember any slippage as far as the plug when i got the truck there was not one in the very bottom of the housing ,i stuck my finger up in there and really couldnt get ang grease or oil out of it so i dont think i have any leaks

FUSIONWELDING

also the e brakeis loose so i can rule that out i notice the slippage when im going torough the gears and when i get into o/d i notice the engine kicks up and when i let off a little it picks up speed so somethings slipping ,

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be that when you initially picked up the donor truck you didn't notice the clutch slipping. It could be that you need to replace the clutch disk, pressure plate and have the flywheel machined. Also, you most likely don't know how the donor truck was driven previously - they may have been slipping the clutch. A lot of people don't know how to use the type of clutch you have in a Deuce.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
tm, you must be kidding, with the drain plug out there will be no oil in the housing. the top of the threads are at the lowest point. just sounds like a worn out clutch.

tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks