• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 tow-bar an M820?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can an M35A2 pull a M820 with a towbar? I'm new to the idea of towing and simply cant afford to pay for shipping. Would someone care to elaborate more on this?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i would NOT, the 820 weighs almost 3 times the deuce, it will went to push the the towing truck amoung other things, BAD, BAD, BAD idea

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And thats why I ask before anything. Just got eventually figure out a way to get an M820 home on a tight budget if it doesnt run is all.

area52

Can it pull it? yes Can it stop it? NO!

What costs more? paying someone to haul it home or legal fees when you crash into some innocent person?

What is wrong with it? Any chance on getting it running?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I dont have either just yet, but am just brain storming for the worst case scenario. Assume the worst and hope for the best as I always say. My other option would just be to pay a fellow SS member a bit to tow-bar it home, not too far now.

Crash_AF

How far are you talking?
Do you have/can you get interconnection hoses so that the 5 ton's brakes work?
Do the 820's brakes work? Will it hold air?

If you're talking a short trip at low (30MPH or less) speeds and with hoses so that the 820's brakes will help stop it, then it is feasible but not recommended. Definitely would want at least a 5 Ton to do the towing so that you have the extra margin of error in the braking dept.

Good luck getting it home.

Later,
Joe

goldneagle

Just a quick info. The m820A2 is 30,000 pounds empty. BAD idea to tow with a Deuce! Not just stopping issues but also clutch wear issues. Could end up very expensive by the time the day is over.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
you need to read this thread--
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/safety...ution-when-driving-vehicles-home-auction.html
then read it again

this is one example
a while back a very experienced member flat towed a deuce back from gl, he had installed the wrong pins upside down in his tow bar, one worked out, the towed deuce moved over to the right, GOD was his CO_POLIT that day, the truck could of moved into the other lane of traffic, and cause a disaster, could have been going down hill and have the towed deuce push the towing deuce into a spin, another disaster, there are another halve a dozen disasters that could have come from the wrong pin, if he had been pulling a m820, his CO-POLIT would have gotten out and walked

you can tow or drive 19 unknown trucks from gl, and all goes well, if number 20 goes in the crapper, somebody gets hurt or killed, or at the very least some tore up MVs, was the other 19 worth it?? not good for you, you could be in jail, loose everything you have, not good for thr MV hobby, fellow MVers, this site. it would be hard living with your self knowing that you killed somebody's dad/mother, son/daughter, husband/wife because you wanted to take the risk

MY RANT FOR THE DAY

Last edited:

gunboy1656

I am sure a member here could/would hold on to a truck for you until you can get the money for transport, rather then see someone put so much at risk.

FYI, it is NEVER a good idea to tow something weighing more then the tow vehicle.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
73m819: I read that whole thread previously and have taken it to heart. I only plan to do crazy stuff on my own property. Hahaha..:p

Crash_AF: A rough estimate would be 200 miles (20+/-) but it would have to be a little higher speeds unless I took the back country roads. I'll have to familiarize myself with the 5 ton series hoses and such if it ever gets that desperate. But this is all hypothetical.

goldneagle: Good point alone. But at 30,000 Lbs that would require a Class B license, am I corrent? Not that this is a problem, but just cross checking.

gunboy1656: I sure hope so. Even if it were to just get it out of the clutches of GL.

Crash_AF

Yea, I wouldn't recommend going 200 miles pulling an 820 with a deuce... too much chance for catastrophic failure.

The hoses are just rubber hoses with glad hands on each end. You hook them to the glad hands on the back of the deuce like a trailer and to the front of the 5T so it acts like a trailer with brakes.

I would definitely see if anyone here can get it off the base and check it out for you. I'd recommend trying to get the 820 road legal and tow the deuce home unless you have a CUCV which would be a better trailer... LOL

Later,
Joe

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the air hose would work for breaking , but NOT coasting or a slight down hill, in that case the 820 will push, which could easily put the deuce OUT of CONTROL, also cornering will give the same affect, even on the freeway, also with the heavy vehicle in the rear, if it does not went to track right, it will pull the towing vehicle all over the place, again OUT of CONTROL

Josh

FYI, it is NEVER a good idea to tow something weighing more then the tow vehicle.
By that logic, tractor/trailers shouldnt be on the road. My uncles truck weighs in around 18000lbs empty. His max weight is 105,500. It is a dump truck so there is hardly any tongue weight. With a 4 axle pup the fully loaded the trailer weighs aprox 60,000. the truck weighs in around 45000. When ever we road over the scales these numbers were +/- 10% of these numbers.

That said, towing 30k with a deuce would be scarry. If you you had no other choice then to do it. Put 2-3 tons worth of weight in the back of the deuce.

Yes I realize compairing a Modern OTR tractor to a deuce is like comparing apples to oranges.

M725

The standard is, truck should be the same size or smaller than the truck towing it. Always READ the manuals before ( truck's -10 & towbar's --12) and remember safety first.
I see no problem towing a truck from GL site as long as the tires are good and it is road worthly. Again SAFETY first check the truck out and READ the truck's -10 manual, paragraphs on towing it.

M1075

Towing a vehicle is much different than pulling a trailer. There is no payload on the towing vehicle (unless you have a wrecker and do a lift tow). Once I towed a M818 with another M818 and the towed tractor almost put me in the ditch on a turn. An eye opening experience to say the least. Wreckers are the best tow vehicle because of their weight.

rmgill

I towed an M818 with my Deuce earlier this spring. I towed it down my main road and took a 3 turns. That was it. I would NOT want to do this a long distance. I'd prefer to have the M818 towing another 5 ton, not with a deuce. Braking was good but things were just oddly unsettling. Mind you, I've towed ~10,000 lbs worth of trailer with my Deuce more than a 2000 miles on highways and even some off road. That works like a charm. A bit of extra cargo in the bed of the deuce and well setup brakes on the trailer and it works like a charm. The weight distribution on the trailer is FAR different than it is for a flat towed vehicle however.

tm america

answer is no no no no .as much as you cant afford to have it shipped you can afford even less the law suit that will follow from the family you kill trying to tow it with a m35.i have a expandible trailer i made the frame weighs about 3000lbs and it has a expandible box on it even with proper tongue weight it is a bear to pull with a m35. i wouldnt even think of pulling that much weight plus the extra 20000lbs of truck you have without any tongue weight .it will push the deuce like a toy .you will even up in a accident and at best you will be like the guy that got a 7100 buck tow bill for towing a deuce with a deully.if anyone gets hurt your insurance wont cover it and if you survive you will be ruined financially:roll:

Reactions: DUG