• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A 2 versus M54A2 multifuel

alfa59

Hi,
Greetings from Belgium (Europe). I have currently a M35A2 with the whistler turbo but I am also interested in the M54A2 multifuel as I was told it has servo steering.
Problem is I have never driven a M54 Multifuel...

Has anybody (driving) experience between the 2 models - what would you prefer and why ?
(wife is pushing if I go for a M54 the M35 has to leave .... (so I want to be sure about the choice to be made)
Does the multifuel engine of the M54A2 makes the same sound as the M35A2 ?

tnx,

Chris (alfa 59)

alfa59

M35A2 vs M54A2 multifuel

Hi,
Greetings from Belgium (Europe). I have currently a M35A2 with the whistler turbo but I am also interested in the M54A2 multifuel as I was told it has servo steering.
Problem is I have never driven a M54 Multifuel...

Has anybody (driving) experience between the 2 models - what would you prefer and why ?
(wife is pushing if I go for a M54 the M35 has to leave .... (so I want to be sure about the choice to be made)
Does the multifuel engine of the M54A2 makes the same sound as the M35A2 ?

tnx,

Chris (alfa 59)

Westech

CPL
well the M35 your top speed is around 55 MPH and the M54 is around 52 (most say around 45-50) because the trans is not the over drive unit. The 5 ton will be a lot slower off the line and top speed will be lower. Now for the good, the M54 will have power steering, the brakes feel and work much much better. If need to be towed there are air lines in the front so you can hook it up to the tow truck and you will have brakes. I love my M813 (5 ton with a cummins) but still miss the Deuce from time to time. I would take a 5 ton over a deuce but it would be nice to have both.

Westech

CPL
there about the same.. you can "tune" the engine to get a little better MPG so your right in line with the Deuce in stock form. Now I had my Deuce up to around 10 -12 MPG. I don't think you will get that with a 5 ton but I would say around 8 is a good number.

alfa59

Dr Greg,
Just showed my wife your reply ! She couldn't stop laughing. Good points
Is indeed hard as keeping the Deuce and buy the M54 would be the ideal world.
Anybody knows if the sound of the M54 Multifuel is similar as the M35A2?

regards

Chris (alfa59)

area52

I have both but the M54A2 is not running now. I am going with the 5 ton over the M35A2 for the following reasons:

power steering, hauls and tows more, longer bed ( for my rockcrawler to fit in), I can fit bigger tires on it and go faster if I need to.

Everybody has a deuce, not everyone has a 5 ton!:razz:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm strong enough to steer a deuce but not strong enough to sling on brake drums. Had both, now sticking to the little ones.

Last edited:

Scrounger

I have driven both the M35A2 and the M54A2. Of the two I prefer the 5 ton over the deuce for several reasons, power steering, larger and more powerful brakes, 14 foot bed as apposed to the 12 foot bed, more powerful engine, and a transfer case that doesn’t seem to have the Sprague “issues” and I can’t explain why but I find them easier to drive. Now the deuce is supposed to have a top speed of 56mph, the M54 is 53mph. I don’t see that as much of a difference. My M54A2 will pull hills without a loss of speed.
Now for the downside, I only get around 6 and a half mpg. The deuce will get more. Another thing about the 5 tons is when it come time to service them things that can be done by man handling on the deuce will have to be done with tools on a 5 ton. While one can pull a transmission from a deuce with lumber and come-a-long, I wouldn’t even think of pulling a 5 ton transmission without a transmission jack. Another almost necessary tool is a dual jack for pulling the wheels when servicing the bearings.
As far as the turbo sound, the M54’s I’ve been around don’t whistle like the C model turbo on the deuce.
The M54A2 is a bigger truck and you may have different licensing requirements to drive one. However there aren’t that many of them on the road.

vtdeucedriver

Scrounger, Your 5ton is like mine, quiet and I seem to like that. Tho still loud, I can still hollar enough to talk to the other guy in the cab. That being said, I still like my deuce for those "smaller" jobs. But I would take a 5 ton over a deuce, I love mine. Wanting things bigger isnt just for the bedroom.:wink:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks