• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A 2 versus M54A2 multifuel

vtdeucedriver

As the joke goes; I got an M54 for my wife. I was a good trade.:-D
(Problem solved):?

AWWWW now thats not nice.

My story was not either.

Few years ago I found a M54A2 that was forsale, I was close to having the money so I started to work a bunch of overtime. I normally dont so it was unlike me. Very shortly I had the rest of the cash. I asked my girlfriend at the time if she wanted to go for a ride and she said yes. I headed up to Northern VT to Ross's AKA( act tomato co....RIP). I went in the house and came out grinning from ear to ear. She asked what my smile was all about and I said
"see that" and pointed out to a truck in a snow bank....
"that junky old thing" she replies.
"I just bought it" I answered back.

She starts crying!!!! She then tells me that she thought that I was saving for an engagement ring:cry:

jatonka

The M54A2 will have a much different deeper bark when you start it and a stronger sound when you drive it. Kind of like a Walters snowplow truck with the exhaust stack up thru the hood. I have a Deuce with the LDS 465 1A engine from a 5 ton in it and it sounds like a 5 ton, but it pulls like a Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins in it!!!!! Never drove a Deuce that would pull you back in the seat in 3rd and 4th. JT out

derby

I don't have an M54, but I do have a M812,M51a2 and a Deuce. The deuce is nice, great on fuel. but a five ton drives much better.The power steering is great and for some reason rides and handles better. I averaged about 7-8 mpg on a 370 mile trip. There are two differant turbos on the five ton multi fuel,much like the Deuce.One is only audible under a heavy pull .the other whines as soon as You hit the starter.You can tell them apart by the way they look.the Whiner has a small tube on the lower rear of the turbo housing,below the exhaust pipe .(waste gate?) I have also noticed my five ton smokes like a freight train on a long heavy pull. also like mentioned before,there could be some license issues.the plates will be more expensive,and the parts are much heavier.Keep the wife,ditch the other truck.

Chief1900

"Size Matters", go with the 5 ton. Put on some 1600x20's. My wife is only 5 feet tall and can't reach the step to get in so she stays home. Life is good.:driver:

Alredneck

Banned
I have a few of each these days, I love my deuce Apoc, and the new one I just got is a super strong runner non-whistler. I like the whistler in Apoc with the exshaust running under the truck to the back tandems it still gets loud in the cab but you can hold a conversation without yelling all the time. Hardtop for it and I think that will improve more of the noise. Apoc on 395/85R20s will easily do 65-70 and had her up to 72 on the flats. The new non-whistler will run 60 no probs. M54s are a whole nother breed. All thre of mine are multis, one runs stronger than the other but both ride really well compared to the bumpiness of a deuce. Top speed with 11R20s is 55-60 in the strong runner and about 55 in the other. The power steering is a blessing and im planing on going to 395s or larger to get the MPH up, mileage isnt bad but Apoc get really good mileage empty 12-15 on UMO/ diesel. I figure the 5tons get about 8 if your lucky. I also have a M814 with a nonturbo cummins, it has a lot of low end torque but is slow to get goin and tops out at about 62 the sprague case in the 5tons I dont really like but havent had them offroad yet to do a real assesment. I wish they had airshift for convienance. Its really up to you which you want both need bigger tires to go faster and be better offroad, then its up to you and how much stuff you haul, i have had over 5tons in the bed of a deuce on the road with no probs. Hope this helps, Captain:-D

alfa59

Hi Guys,

Still hesitating although wife seems to get more "understanding" as I want to buy the M54 for my next year's birthday !! (50 years !!)

What is the difference between the LDT 465 IC version and -D version ?
Seller states that the M54 has the LDT 465 I C version?

Chris (alfa 59)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
50 horsepower is probably why. The LDT is a deuce engine and detuned in comparison to the LDS which is a 5 tonner engine. Perhaps the owner mis-stated. I'd ask for a pic of the engine data plate.

PS, the LDS also has oil cooled pistons

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well, thats the deuce motor. 130 hp compared to 180. It came from the factory with an lds. Have you driven it? Does it have good power? The ldt can be made to have similar performance, just don't know if it was updated.

alfa59

Hi,

Well thanks you make me sweating now ! I will ask the current owner to check for sure.
So in other words you recon not to take the M54A2 if it has the LDT 465-1C engine ?

What is de difference betnween the LDT 465 1- C and -D version - does it has something to do with the whistler turbo ?

gimpyrobb

The dashes after the 465 indicate something with the build. I do not know what. I know they don't indicate which turbo you have. The only difference in the C or the D turbo is the C whistles more and the D build a tad more pressure. Like I said, the ldt can be beefed up to similar performance as the lds. Drive it and see what you think. Personally, I like the lds motors.

alfa59

Thanks
will have a word with the current owner !!
could be that he has changed the engine or the military did.
Will keep you posted
thanks
Chris (alfa59)

alfa59

Hi,
Got confirmation from the owner that the M54A2 has indeed the LDT 465 1C engine !!
Would there be any chance this has been original or later updated by the Military ?

Would that engine be OK in the 5 ton ....??
thanks
Chris (alfa59)

gimpyrobb

If I were unable to drive the truck before purchase to verify it has good power, I'd be real leery. It could be something a simple as putting an LDS injection pump on, but with out knowing...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks