• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 "Big Iron 1-7" (my first Duce)

Firehound

I just bought my first Duce from FuzzyToaster! 1988 M35A2C with a M332 Ammo trailer. Long run home from Dallas to Houston, but we made it!

I had to leave the M332 behind, the light plug was not going into the Duce's socket, and I wasn't going to run dark (or risk running dark since the plug would fall out if you looked at it wrong!) so that's going to be a challenge to fix, but more to get it home!

The truck is called "Big Iron 1-7" and will be used for highwater rescue. Big Iron is what we called the USCG Jayhawk helicopters (yes, I was a puddle pirate!) and the 1-7 is an honor to all those who had to go out, but did not come back. Especially the lost on the 6017 (the last Jayhawk I flew on) and the Rescue 1705 (C-130 that collided with a USMC Helicopter. USCG C-130 was on a SAR mission, USMC was training).

To do list:
Fix the fuel gauge. (Might just be a bad connection? It reads full or empty... but no in-between)
Tighten the shifter.
Replace the troop seats.
Find a tarp and bows.
Build, buy, or fab a boarding ladder for the survivors to be able to climb in the back
Fix the Engine Shut-off pull handle. (Cable slipped off the end of the handle.)

Attachments

Firehound

Well... It's been 2 years... What's Big Iron 1-7 been up to in the mean time? oh, ya know... Big Iron stuff!!

We responded to: Hurricane Laura, TS Beta, Hurricane Delta, the Lake Jackson water supply crisis, and Winter Storm Uri. It's been a very quiet 2021, but I did get some heavy maintenance done- all bearings checked and repacked, 6 "new" tires, wheel cylinders and brake return springs.

I STILL haven't gotten around to that fuel gauge or shut off cable... but I do have a tarp top now, and I've installed some searchlights.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well... It's been 2 years... What's Big Iron 1-7 been up to in the mean time? oh, ya know... Big Iron stuff!!

We responded to: Hurricane Laura, TS Beta, Hurricane Delta, the Lake Jackson water supply crisis, and Winter Storm Uri. It's been a very quiet 2021, but I did get some heavy maintenance done- all bearings checked and repacked, 6 "new" tires, wheel cylinders and brake return springs.

I STILL haven't gotten around to that fuel gauge or shut off cable... but I do have a tarp top now, and I've installed some searchlights.
Doing good work with your Big Iron for sure!
Sharp looking truck too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks