• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 "Big Iron 1-7" (my first Duce)

Firehound

I just bought my first Duce from FuzzyToaster! 1988 M35A2C with a M332 Ammo trailer. Long run home from Dallas to Houston, but we made it!

I had to leave the M332 behind, the light plug was not going into the Duce's socket, and I wasn't going to run dark (or risk running dark since the plug would fall out if you looked at it wrong!) so that's going to be a challenge to fix, but more to get it home!

The truck is called "Big Iron 1-7" and will be used for highwater rescue. Big Iron is what we called the USCG Jayhawk helicopters (yes, I was a puddle pirate!) and the 1-7 is an honor to all those who had to go out, but did not come back. Especially the lost on the 6017 (the last Jayhawk I flew on) and the Rescue 1705 (C-130 that collided with a USMC Helicopter. USCG C-130 was on a SAR mission, USMC was training).

To do list:
Fix the fuel gauge. (Might just be a bad connection? It reads full or empty... but no in-between)
Tighten the shifter.
Replace the troop seats.
Find a tarp and bows.
Build, buy, or fab a boarding ladder for the survivors to be able to climb in the back
Fix the Engine Shut-off pull handle. (Cable slipped off the end of the handle.)

Attachments

Firehound

Well... It's been 2 years... What's Big Iron 1-7 been up to in the mean time? oh, ya know... Big Iron stuff!!

We responded to: Hurricane Laura, TS Beta, Hurricane Delta, the Lake Jackson water supply crisis, and Winter Storm Uri. It's been a very quiet 2021, but I did get some heavy maintenance done- all bearings checked and repacked, 6 "new" tires, wheel cylinders and brake return springs.

I STILL haven't gotten around to that fuel gauge or shut off cable... but I do have a tarp top now, and I've installed some searchlights.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well... It's been 2 years... What's Big Iron 1-7 been up to in the mean time? oh, ya know... Big Iron stuff!!

We responded to: Hurricane Laura, TS Beta, Hurricane Delta, the Lake Jackson water supply crisis, and Winter Storm Uri. It's been a very quiet 2021, but I did get some heavy maintenance done- all bearings checked and repacked, 6 "new" tires, wheel cylinders and brake return springs.

I STILL haven't gotten around to that fuel gauge or shut off cable... but I do have a tarp top now, and I've installed some searchlights.
Doing good work with your Big Iron for sure!
Sharp looking truck too.